Random cricket stuff

What was your best ever score Rob lad ?

About 50 odd not out iirc. Was a pretty decent junior when about 15-16 although nowhere near some of the best players in the leagues who were my age . Decent at turning my arm over to Started to lose interest when I stopped playing under 18 cricket if the truth be told. Use to open the batting semi regular for second team although that was more to do when we didn't have the best team out rather than my talents. Was ok at holding a end up, could plod all day at times.

Looking back now if the truth be told I was little bit scared of that ball, played in a era when younguns just didn't wear helmets. Can remember facing a few nippy second team bowlers without a thigh pad on. Finally packed in at around 21 although was always knocking about the cricket scence after that as few of my mates continued to play and the cricket club was our local to

About 50 odd not out iirc. Was a pretty decent junior when about 15-16 although nowhere near some of the best players in the leagues who were my age . Decent at turning my arm over to Started to lose interest when I stopped playing under 18 cricket if the truth be told. Use to open the batting semi regular for second team although that was more to do when we didn't have the best team out rather than my talents. Was ok at holding a end up, could plod all day at times.

Looking back now if the truth be told I was little bit scared of that ball, played in a era when younguns just didn't wear helmets. Can remember facing a few nippy second team bowlers without a thigh pad on. Finally packed in at around 21 although was always knocking about the cricket scence after that as few of my mates continued to play and the cricket club was our local to

Yes I took a break from it during my rock n roll years only to make a comeback when me legs had gone 😉

Playing school cricket and I was on about 40, we are cruising to a win, so thought Id play a sweep shot, not really in my shot selection or if Id really even attempted it before but hey why not, connected with it way out in front of my pad not far off the absoloute middle of my bat, beats the fielder at square leg the bowler decides to appeal for a laugh, I press for a run only for my PE teacher to raise his finger, to this day I think he gave me out for playing in his words playing a "fancy dan shot". Laughed off all the way to the changing rooms and the usual laughing and banging on the window from the bus as they passed me after the game, they were particularly pleased as we went on to colapse after I got out and won the game.

Last edited:
Remember being asked to play in a pub game by my mate over Shields way

Lovely summer day Mrs and friends turn up for a few beers to watch decided to open the batting as one of the only regular playing cricketers

Only one with proper gear look at the lads and think will play a few then smash it to my 30 agreed retirement score second ball in not bad decent length and straight so I middle off the bat and play it back to the bowler to look up and see the bar lad umpire with his finger in the air

Oot

Me
What it hit the middle of me bat

Oot
LBW fair and square

Didn’t bother turning out for them again

Never had a hundred - Coming to the end of my career now sadly and thinking i might never get on - 76 not out is my best - was absolutely fucked after it though as it was a boiling hot day.

Started at Dawdon just after the Titanic went down. Moved to Yorkshire and decided to play down here. First club that advertised I went to. Played in a pre-season friendly, dropped a catch at 2nd slip. At the end of the over a team-mate walked past, "Don't worry, it's only a f****** friendly!" I am still here.

Seems similar to me, played up until 19 and then packed as I was missing the beginning and end of the season to watch SAFC, and the cricket club was mine and my mates local so I began to get jealous when they were sat in the sun drinking all day and I was chasing a ball around :lol:

More natural with the bat but had more success with the ball. Used to always think it was nerves when batting but looking back it could just as much been down to refusing to wear glasses when playing, I started wearing contact lenses at 21/22 and couldn't believe how blind I'd been. I hated fielding as well, it just didn't excite me and I'd wish for the ball to avoid me.

Still love cricket and the cricket club was my local in Aycliffe until moving in 2018, and now I spend the odd day at Ropery Lane instead. Still fancy playing at times but it's a big commitment really in terms of time and gear.

Back