Racism at Yorkshire CCC

Silly Point

Winger
Try again without naming who is obviously one of the culprits. Is there not just a way for the powers that be to remove an offending sentence as deleting a whole thread this serious is poor form imo.

Anyway Sickening to read as a supporter. Heads need to roll or I will not be returning

Last edited:

Just read this and was gonna post myself Awful reading. I had wondered what happened to him.

For a county with a large Asian demographic it is bizarre so few coming through the ranks. Surely in Bradford alone there must be some amazing cricketers Yorkshire could unearth.

Maybe Rashid position on playing red ball cricket could stem from this

Fair play for your stance as well as @Silly Point

Last edited:
This one paragraph proves that there is a serious issue at the club.It will only be resolved by naming names. Accusations regarding "most old codgers",however, is clearly false, inflammatory and was rightly removed.
"Look at the facts and figures. Look at a squad photograph. Look at the coaches. How many non-white faces do you see? Despite the ethnic diversity of the cities in Yorkshire, despite the love for the game from Asian communities, how many people from those backgrounds are making it into the first team?

Just read this and was gonna post myself Awful reading. I had wondered what happened to him.

For a county with a large Asian demographic it is bizarre so few coming through the ranks. Surely in Bradford alone there must be some amazing cricketers Yorkshire could unearth.

Maybe Rashid position on playing red ball cricket could stem from this

Fair play for your stance as well as @Silly Point
I can’t condone racism. Just because it’s “my” club (and I use that word loosely at the moment). Embarrassing to be associated with it tbh. Now everywhere we’ll go we’ll have that label against us even as supporters, even if we are as appalled as anyone.
"Look at the facts and figures. Look at a squad photograph. Look at the coaches. How many non-white faces do you see? Despite the ethnic diversity of the cities in Yorkshire, despite the love for the game from Asian communities, how many people from those backgrounds are making it into the first team?
It isn’t false at all. The majority of county members are over 60s, the majority of which have these views to some degree. I know a few myself and they’re nice enough blokes but I can’t imagine them seeing anything wrong with what Azeem is alleging, sadly. Not sure who wrote that paragraph you quoted but they obviously have never been to a YCCC game

Last edited:
I've no desire to get in a slinging match on such a sensitive issue SP but what you've said above is considerably watered down to your original quote "most old codgers are racist". Surely you realise that you have to be very careful about making generalisations on such an emotive topic?
My quote that you refer to is an excerpt from Azeem in Dobell's article that you posted.

I've no desire to get in a slinging match on such a sensitive issue SP but what you've said above is considerably watered down to your original quote "most old codgers are racist". Surely you realise that you have to be very careful about making generalisations on such an emotive topic?
My quote that you refer to is an excerpt from Azeem in Dobell's article that you posted.
Where did I say “most old codgers are racist”? If that’s what it said or how it came across I apologise and I can assure you that’s not what I meant. I maintain that there is a large section of the Yorkshire membership that would not see what the issue is with this, and that I why I do not expect to see change at the club any time soon

Last edited:
A truly sickening read.

I can't even imagine what the lad has been through with the still born birth of his child but to have to go through the abuse/lack of support he has received from his own board, team mates and skipper ffs is absolutely disgraceful.

I hope the ECB take what Rafiq has said seriously and investigate as YCCC clearly seem to have no intention of doing so.

That’s a pretty difficult thing to read. He’s rightfully gone to town on Yorkshire and some of the stuff written is pretty disgusting.
The ECB need to get stuck into Yorkshire for this.

Where did I say “most old codgers are racist”? If that’s what it said or how it came across I apologise and I can assure you that’s not what I meant. I maintain that there is a large section of the Yorkshire membership that would not see what the issue is with this, and that I why I do not expect to see change at the club any time soon
Fair enough SP. I'm an "old codger" myself,don't have any close friends from foreign backgrounds so am not aware of any cultural difficulties, however probably Ottis Gibson was my favourite Durham cricketer.
What I'd ask is in the Bradford league, for example, is the take up of the game proportionate to the ethnic mix? if so, then there's a problem with progression that the club needs to recognise and address. What the old codgers think is irrelevant so long as they keep their thoughts to themselves.
Fair enough SP. I'm an "old codger" myself,don't have any close friends from foreign backgrounds so am not aware of any cultural difficulties, however probably Ottis Gibson was my favourite Durham cricketer.
What I'd ask is in the Bradford league, for example, is the take up of the game proportionate to the ethnic mix? if so, then there's a problem with progression that the club needs to recognise and address. What the old codgers think is irrelevant so long as they keep their thoughts to themselves.

Last edited:
What I'd ask is in the Bradford league, for example, is the take up of the game proportionate to the ethnic mix? if so, then there's a problem the club needs to recognise and address. What the old codgers think is irrelevant so long as they keep their thoughts to themselves.
Fair enough mate. Re the BCL, Clubs in Asian communities such as Bowling Old Lane (Rashid’s old club) are very much representative of their communities. Others in more mixed areas are more white dominated, make of that what you will. It’s something the club have always paid lip service to but never done anything about. They’ve got a lot of rebuilding to do with local ethnic minority communities, and that’s after they’ve chosen to acknowledge the situation which even now doesn’t seem to be a priority given their silence

Quite obvious who he is talking about there, won’t name names
No surprise to see Root get singled out for praise, a top opened minded bloke, who can bring people together, and understands people and issues they might be going through

an important part of captaincy that people ignore when obsessing over whether to have 2 slips or 3

Last edited:
Posted on the deleted thread last night but it could easily explain why Rashid seems reluctant to play much for Yorkshire at the minute.

Posted on the deleted thread last night but it could easily explain why Rashid seems reluctant to play much for Yorkshire at the minute.

was my first thought yeah
He also praises the coach they had but how could he have been unaware of it if his captain was the main culprit

was my first thought yeah
He also praises the coach they had but how could he have been unaware of it if his captain was the main culprit
That’s the bit that doesn’t add up for me. His departure has long been shrouded in mystery and speculation. Not saying it’s related but the circumstances have always been a bit foggy

As I said on the shamefully deleted thread, I find it hard to be surprised by this. It's only two years since Ryan Patel was racially abused at Scarborough, and YCCC (the club, not the members I hasten to add) seemed more annoyed that Surrey reported it and it got press time than that a few of their members had acted in such a way.

As I said on the shamefully deleted thread, I find it hard to be surprised by this. It's only two years since Ryan Patel was racially abused at Scarborough, and YCCC (the club, not the members I hasten to add) seemed more annoyed that Surrey reported it and it got press time than that a few of their members had acted in such a way.
Think I’m more annoyed by the actions of members and supporters as it makes me feel personally responsible. As i said above we’ll be less than welcome wherever we go now. If it was just staff the supporters could at lest distance themselves from it and hope for removal of those involved. But for fuck sake the only way to solve the spectators issue is with life bans and that’s football territory. I follow cricket to escape from that shite for the summer

Think I’m more annoyed by the actions of members and supporters as it makes me feel personally responsible. As i said above we’ll be less than welcome wherever we go now. If it was just staff the supporters could at lest distance themselves from it and hope for removal of those involved. But for fuck sake the only way to solve the spectators issue is with life bans and that’s football territory. I follow cricket to escape from that shite for the summer
Anyone with a brain wouldn't lump you all in together, mate. I'd wager the vast majority of Yorkshire members are as appalled and angry as you are, and I reckon most people will know that

Back