Putting house into trust - incase ever go into care

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s more about being fit and healthy when it is done, doing it early is not a deprivation of assets.

the timeframe does'nt matter, if its to deprive yourself to avoid paying fees then its deprivation - the only benefit to doing it early is that you make it harder for the LA to check back in any financial assessment

deliberate deprivation of assets, its unlikely to work
Not if it’s done many years in advance
If you do it while the owners are in good health then that’s one thing but if done when there is reasonable expectation that they will need a care home then the council can pursue the individuals for the cost of care - in short they are aware of people doing it to avoid paying
Yeah I would agree , needs to be done while owners are in good health

Do what ever you can ,we've ended up with about £10k left out of me Mams sale of house £80k . Equity release took the first stake of £50k then Durham County council took the rest
Bastards.
the timeframe does'nt matter, if its to deprive yourself to avoid paying fees then its deprivation - the only benefit to doing it early is that you make it harder for the LA to check back in any financial assessment
David Cameron’s Ma give him summat like £300k for two years back to back when he was PM. I bet that fucker doesn’t stump up if his Ma ends up pissing hersel and punching the carers.

Last edited:
Do what ever you can ,we've ended up with about £10k left out of me Mams sale of house £80k . Equity release took the first stake of £50k then Durham County council took the rest
Sad when people have to sell their homes .
Old age care is going to become a massive problem . Ideally need some sort of tax to help fund the system

I dont think its guaranteed to work.
If one person goes into a home and the other remains at home, the the house isnt included in the financial assessments.
But if that second person ends up in a home then it could be couldnt it?
I'm not sure how any agreements to give either share to relatives when they die (via the will) would matter.
Sure the solicitor knows more about it than me though, just doesnt sound right.
Neither party can sell without the consent of the other. As we were told, this is an untouchable asset. Although the 7 year rule probably comes into it too.

I may be missing a little info here, its my parents / grandparents who did this, not me. Assuming it works, I'll be doing the same with my folks though, and then later with my kids. It boils my blood that people who worked all their lives have their houses taken from them and get the exact same care as people who, well, didn't.

my mam used to mither me about this sort of thing years back and i always fobbed it off. i was uncomfortable with doing it as it was sort of admitting that one day she'd be gone. she had dementia and needed to go into a home where she was for a couple of years till she died.
when she went into the home we had to have a meeting with the council over the financial aspect of her care. i've got to say they were spot on and explained everything in detail. when she died the council needed repaying out of her estate but there was never any pressure for us to sell her house quickly, quite the opposite in fact.
the way i see it is that it was her money not mine and couldn't have been better spent making sure she was safe and happy in her last few years.
putting a house into kids names isn't that hard to do but there are a lot of things that are said to be gospel that aren't.

Absolute bollocks and an appalling and insulting generalisation to the genuine hardworking people who genuinely care.

Like me posting all the examples of home carers who rob and abuse old people while sitting their own home, you would think they’d be safe....but that would be f***ing stupid.

It sounds like you're something of an experienced expert in the care sector then, compared to me, a lowly carer.

I didn't insult the carers at care homes and never would. They are my comrades. However they would be the first to tell you about the dearth of staff compared to residents and how agency staff (often with very poor English) are regular and sometimes the majority. More time is spent explaining to them what to do because it's their first time there than attending to the residents. They'd also tell you how great chunks of time are spent taking round meds and more meds and then more meds and recording everything on forms, leaving little time for bonding with and caring for the residents.

I certainly never accused anyone of stealing, which was your own stinking invention, but you might like to know that I took a chap out for a social this week (ex-RAF squadron leader with quite severe alzheimers) and over coffee he produced two presents for me from his pockets. He didn't want them and said I should have them. Very insistent.

One was a rolled up ball of socks and the other was a gold Rolex watch.

As you are quite the expert when it comes to carers, you will already know whether I kept them or whether I took them, returned them to his wife, documented what had happened and reported it to the office.

The wife's parents did it a while back all through a solicitor and it cost a bout £400. This was to avoid the selling of the home for residential care and to lower the inheritance tax burden.

It was set up to come into effect on the death of one parent, once that happened (a few years back now), that parents 50% share went into a trust to my wife and her brother. Once the other one goes, they get the reaming share.

I still think there are some tax implications with this and now they have saved the house from being sold for care, they will just take it out of the saving she has and the wife and her brother will get nowt.

Thankfully the mother in law is splashing the cash and trying to do what my dad always suggested, make sure the last cheque you ever write bounces!

It sounds like you're something of an experienced expert in the care sector then, compared to me, a lowly carer.

I didn't insult the carers at care homes and never would. They are my comrades. However they would be the first to tell you about the dearth of staff compared to residents and how agency staff (often with very poor English) are regular and sometimes the majority. More time is spent explaining to them what to do because it's their first time there than attending to the residents. They'd also tell you how great chunks of time are spent taking round meds and more meds and then more meds and recording everything on forms, leaving little time for bonding with and caring for the residents.

I certainly never accused anyone of stealing, which was your own stinking invention, but you might like to know that I took a chap out for a social this week (ex-RAF squadron leader with quite severe alzheimers) and over coffee he produced two presents for me from his pockets. He didn't want them and said I should have them. Very insistent.

As you are quite the expert when it comes to carers, you will already know whether I kept them or whether I took them, returned them to his wife, documented what had happened and reported it to the office.
Stopped reading after your initial post.

Ignorance was appalling.

Don't want to question you but meds are supposed to be administrated by a nurse or a suitably qualified senior who has done the training.

Trust can work, but the LA will try and prove it was done to deprive assets, so doing the trust whilst the property owner is in good health is essential. It is in the LA’s interest to vigorously challenge deprivation if they feel they have a case to challenge. Seek GOOD legal advice as there are some deeds of trust documents are week.

Note: there isn’t a time period. Financial documents are available. Deed of trust / transfer document, and access to legal advice given at the time by the LA lawyers.

Is the person you are referring to in receipt of any care services yet, in good or bad health?

On an ethical note, the LA only recieves limited funding for social care for the government and deprivation will clearly affect the LA to deliver care services across its region

See a solicitor Fletch, people have different opinions on this, but I’m told it can be done, by a solicitor and an independent financial advisor, I’m doing it.
Average annual charge for care up here is £30-£40k per year, so doesn’t take long for the house to go.

One tale I heard when they signed the house over to the bairn, the bairn secured debt against the house and failed to pay the debt off, house was repossessed.

Another one, the house was gave to his daughter, she married then died.
House now belongs to the son in law.
Son in law married again, then the son in law died.
House now belongs to a stranger, who kicks the original owner out.

Best intentions in the world to give it to the kids can end up a huge problem.
I will let you know once mine is sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back