Putting house into trust - incase ever go into care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't ever go in a care home if you can possibly avoid it.

Nice flashy looking modern buildings and grounds some of them, but run on a large percentage of agency staff and the poor residents given the chemical cosh.

I had to visit one the other day (dementia section). Saw some people really stressed and upset. Lost and bewildered. Staff nowhere to be seen. I am a home carer and my job is to try my best to keep people out of those places.

Nice flashy looking modern buildings and grounds some of them, but run on a large percentage of agency staff and the poor residents given the chemical cosh.

I had to visit one the other day (dementia section). Saw some people really stressed and upset. Lost and bewildered. Staff nowhere to be seen. I am a home carer and my job is to try my best to keep people out of those places.

What would you recommend?

IIRC, you can own the house "in-law" so that when either person dies, their share goes to someone else. The cannot make you sell the house if someone else owns 50% of it.
I think the bill the goes to the estate so the money is paid one way or another.

Absolute bollocks and an appalling and insulting generalisation to the genuine hardworking people who genuinely care.

Like me posting all the examples of home carers who rob and abuse old people while sitting their own home, you would think they’d be safe....but that would be f***ing stupid.

Isn't it as simple as selling/giving the deeds to a relative/child so that the older person is simply a tenant ?

If you do that, they can kick you out of what was your own house,should you become a burden.

Not recommended

That's not how it was explained to us by our solicitors.
I dont think its guaranteed to work.
If one person goes into a home and the other remains at home, the the house isnt included in the financial assessments.
But if that second person ends up in a home then it could be couldnt it?
I'm not sure how any agreements to give either share to relatives when they die (via the will) would matter.
Sure the solicitor knows more about it than me though, just doesnt sound right.

Isn't it as simple as selling/giving the deeds to a relative/child so that the older person is simply a tenant ?
You can go for a joint tenancy, which puts more than one name on the deeds. Everybody named owns 100% of the property and on death the property automatically becomes owned by the remaining tenant, normally one person. There is one other way to do it with less protection. No need for probate the first way either. I'm in the middle of executing dad's will and the property automatically goes to the other joint tenant, my half brother, which I'm over the moon about......

Something of a contradictory post. Residents are under a "chemical cosh" but the residents are still stressed, upset and bewildered etc (which i would suggest is likely result of dementia).

Me and my brother are the beneficiaries of a trust fund set up by our Mam. She did it for the “love of her children” or summat and no one mentioned avoiding care home costs. She has only put property in but her savings need to be dealt with next.

I’ve been advised to do exactly that, shared trust between myself, the wife and 2 kids.
A solicitor will sort it for you Fletch I believe it’s the only way to avoid care costs if and when they come.
Got advised to never ever sell your house to your bairns, the financial advisor gave me a couple of horrendous examples where the house has ended up having to be sold.
It’s one job I’ve got to sort when I retire in a couple of months time.

deliberate deprivation of assets, its unlikely to work

exactly, people should ignore this 7 year rule as theres no such thing
It’s more about being fit and healthy when it is done, doing it early is not a deprivation of assets.

If you do it while the owners are in good health then that’s one thing but if done when there is reasonable expectation that they will need a care home then the council can pursue the individuals for the cost of care - in short they are aware of people doing it to avoid paying

deliberate deprivation of assets, its unlikely to work
exactly, people should ignore this 7 year rule as theres no such thing

It does work, or that’s what my solicitor advices.
Believe its not classed as an asset once it’s in trust so can’t be used to go the local authorities to fund care.
It belongs to the trust not the person, you can set rules against the trust also, but I’m not sure of all the rules.

It does work, or that’s what my solicitor advices.
Believe its not classed as an asset once it’s in trust so can’t be used to go the local authorities to fund care.
It belongs to the trust not the person, you can set rules against the trust also, but I’m not sure of all the rules.
Just make sure that they are still in business so that you can sue them when it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back