Pubs

Define competition.

A moot point if the sport isn’t part of a formal schedule.

I think you and I both know that (unless the guidance has changed again) the grassroots sport allowed was organised grassroots. With fixtures and teams and people who have signed up and play regularly etc

not an impromptu kick about

A moot point if the sport isn’t part of a formal schedule.

I think you and I both know that (unless the guidance has changed again) the grassroots sport allowed was organised grassroots. With fixtures and teams and people who have signed up and play regularly etc

not an impromptu kick about
The guidance 🤔

My local is opening up again next week, awful this London place.

how are they getting around the 'substantial meal' issue?

i'm dying to know how it actually works in reality. will they give you a timeframe, i.e 2 hours regardless of how much you order? will there be a minimum spend per person? if there isn't anyone waiting to take your table, will it be acceptable to stay and order a bowl of chips or something?

i'm dying to know how it actually works in reality. will they give you a timeframe, i.e 2 hours regardless of how much you order? will there be a minimum spend per person? if there isn't anyone waiting to take your table, will it be acceptable to stay and order a bowl of chips or something?
I imagine most places will operate a booking system and its going to be really busy, the pubs/restaurants are going to want the table back ASAP for the next sitting.

I live in a tier 2 area but most of the independents that serve food are staying shut. Too much of a gamble getting stock in (much of it with a limited shelf life) to be closed in a couple of weeks time. Also nowt more frustrating than opening up a barrel and then throwing loads of it away cos you have to close. Getting stuff in in the first place at short notice isn't that easy.

Better staying shut and getting £3k a month and a guaranteed 80% of your income.

I'd also question the viability of Spoons etc opening. They can't really make much profit on selling a meal and one or two pints, especially the burger and a pint type deals for £6-£7. They're geared up to be primarily pubs (and make money off wet sales) that sell food, not restaurants that sell meals for £15 and a bottle of Peroni for a fiver.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
They are reviewing tiers every couple of weeks. 16th December is the first review.

If things continue as they are (and with a few more days of lockdown followed by 2 weeks of tier 3 they should) we should be in tier 2 by the first review.

I have it on very very good authority that it highlyunlikely we’ll change tier in the first review.

I have it on very very good authority that it highlyunlikely we’ll change tier in the first review.

It's all about the stats.

If say London has a higher rate per 100,000 than us they simply can't be in a lower tier than us.

Sunderland for the last 7 days:

53 (new cases 27th Nov)

Fairly low cases which have dropped 50% in a week. With lockdown followed by tier 3 restrictions and the R rate falling these figures will continue to fall.

In total we have had 531 new cases in a week. We have a population circa 275K. Our rate is now below 200 per 100,000. This is similar to London and Liverpool.

If the government decided tiers on a city by city basis today, we would be in tier 2 now.

It's all about the stats.

If say London has a higher rate per 100,000 than us they simply can't be in a lower tier than us.

Sunderland for the last 7 days:

53 (new cases 27th Nov)

Fairly low cases which have dropped 50% in a week.

In total 531 new cases in a week. We have a population circa 275K. Our rate is now below 200 per 100,000. This is similar to London and Liverpool.

If the government decided tiers on a city by city basis today, we would be in tier 2.

Just passing on what I’ve been told.

We are making massive progress, which is mirrored in the rest of Tyne and Wear and Durham. The government can't just ignore this huge improvement. They have put Liverpool in tier 2 for the exact same reason.

Mate I thought it was a formality we drop down in a fortnight but very unlikely aparently.

We’ve had something from our council with pretty clear definitions in. They’ve basically said:

Table for 2 hours if having 2 courses, less time for 1 (although they haven’t said what). As soon as your meal is finished you’ve got to fuck off.
Substantial is something you would usually have for lunch (dinner) or dinner (tea) and the drinks have to be ordered with the food.
No sharing meals is allowed.
Sounds pretty shit to be honest.

The prime minister's official spokesman, asked how long drinkers can stay in a pub after buying a meal, said: "We've been clear that, in tier two I believe, that you need to have a substantial meal if ordering any alcohol and it remains the case that the guidance says that once the meal is finished, it is at that point [you have to leave]."

Good to see it’s straight forward again.

I live in a tier 2 area but most of the independents that serve food are staying shut. Too much of a gamble getting stock in (much of it with a limited shelf life) to be closed in a couple of weeks time. Also nowt more frustrating than opening up a barrel and then throwing loads of it away cos you have to close. Getting stuff in in the first place at short notice isn't that easy.

Better staying shut and getting £3k a month and a guaranteed 80% of your income.

I'd also question the viability of Spoons etc opening. They can't really make much profit on selling a meal and one or two pints, especially the burger and a pint type deals for £6-£7. They're geared up to be primarily pubs (and make money off wet sales) that sell food, not restaurants that sell meals for £15 and a bottle of Peroni for a fiver.

Logon or register to see this image
What you’ve said is almost exactly what I was saying to my mate. Even in Tier 1, what’s the point if you’re a wet pub and two weeks later you move to tier 2? It’s just a waste of time. Stay shut until April, if you can.

Back