Pubs in sunderland that’s no longer around!!

I thought it was that bloke called Downey who used to have a furniture shop or something who had the chip shop .

No relation to "Michael", son of Gordon who had Boulevard,Ku,Pzazz or whatever it's called now and that new Mexican place there too.

I can't remember the bloke's first name now,used to always get in the Roker pubs. I thought it was him anyway.
No it’s defo same bloke, Michael had ku, Boulevard and the wine loft, now I see him at the chippy opposite lennys place.

Friday night East End Route, circa 1992 (pubs no longer there in Bold)
Rose and Crown (I think? Where Nando's etc is now)
Corner House

Eastender
Another pub whose name I can't remember, but can be seen here
Cheers (bit rave on the stage)
Clarendon (recently revived as The Butcher's Arms- closed now)
Boar's Head
Clarendon is open, bands on every sunday 5pm, san miguel on draft

A lot of working men's clubs have gone as well. The Farringdon club is the latest and about to be demolished. Some nice houses will no doubt be built in its place.

Havent gone through the whole thread but passed the site of the Round Robin at the weekend. One of the few pubs in Sunderland I’d never been in. Done everything I can think of North side, there’s a few over the dark side I haven’t been in but the number seems to be dwindling.

It's been a lidl or an Aldi for like 10 years .The one on Durham road,don't know about the Prospect in Penshaw .

Really? Like I said I haven't had the need to go along Durham road in many years, so had no idea. Shame, I used to like stopping off for a pint in the prospect before getting on the bus home.

It's been a lidl or an Aldi for like 10 years .The one on Durham road,don't know about the Prospect in Penshaw .
It's a Lidl and it's hard to believe the prospect has been closed for over 10 years. I'd have said 5 max.

"Thursday 31 July 2008
Going, going ... gone! Time has finally been called at one of Sunderland's landmark pubs.

The demolition men have done what the Hitler's Luftwaffe failed to do in the Second World War – The Prospect Hotel has been razed."

Landmark pub demolished

Really? Like I said I haven't had the need to go along Durham road in many years, so had no idea. Shame, I used to like stopping off for a pint in the prospect before getting on the bus home.
I guess it's one of those things as well that everytbeve looks a little bit different,I think the lights are laid out a bit different there now too,so even if you went there,you see a supermarket thing and just accept it. You'd have to think for a minute that it's where the Prospect was....

No it’s defo same bloke, Michael had ku, Boulevard .
and the worst bouncers in town

didnt he also have marlowes at same time

There's been a hairdressers in the corner bit for at least 35 years.
think @mini-x2 works there mate

I was told that in the 80s The Barnes had the highest turnover of any pub outside of London .
now its an absolute soulless joke of a pub that is deserted apart from overweight families pullin up to fill their faces at the carvery

Last edited:
and the worst bouncers in town

didnt he also have marlowes at same time

think @mini-x2 works there mate

I was told that in the 80s The Barnes had the highest turnover of any pub outside of London .
now its an absolute soulless joke of a pub that is deserted apart from overweight families pullin up to fill their faces at the carvery

You are correct with the turnover, but it was only for Bass Charrington pubs.

Aye the place was buzzing.
There was a restaurant where the carvery now is.
But don't forget that it had a very busy bar, the lounge was always packed out and the upstairs function room was the best in the town for parties/weddings/engagements etc.
Murphy who had it - was driving around in a Rolls Royce.:cool:

Back