Pubs in sunderland that’s no longer around!!

Aye the place was buzzing.
There was a restaurant where the carvery now is.
But don't forget that it had a very busy bar, the lounge was always packed out and the upstairs function room was the best in the town for parties/weddings/engagements etc.
Murphy who had it - was driving around in a Rolls Royce.:cool:
Back bar in the late 80's early 90's was bouncing.

There's been a hairdressers in the corner bit for at least 35 years.
My dad used to have the Grindon Mill and I remember that the hairdressers were somehow using his water. I don't remember how that did it,but he was getting billed for the whole building,rather than just the pub. Might have been the electriciy too .

Cheeky buggers.

I was wrong, the ornate pub was indeed the three crowns. The pub I'm on about was on the other side of High Street.

The Crowtree, The Black Swan, The Caledonian Arms.

Corner of Union Street, High Street West. It was aright shit tip. They may even have been another one tucked down there, on, or near where the DSS building and Car park ramp are.
Logon or register to see this image

the crown and thistle, is the one i think you mean the window arches are still there.
the Rink beside the Charltons was a class bar anarl
as was the White house in hendon rd

The Alpine Bar in the lesh ice rink, think the one next to the bowls greens was the Crowtree Bar?
The Windsor Castle
The Rink
The Langham
Wearmouth Hall bar
The Cottage
The Oaks
The Doxy Lad
The Mowbray
Gollums
Foster's
The bar in the train station, when it was the old British Rail cafe, it had a small snug bar in the corner.
Doxy lad is back and holding its own mate

I heard it wasnt exclusive to bass pubs , right through the 70s/80s it was rammed

Just found these old posts off here from a few year ago. Either way it was pretty imprrssive back in the day. Suppose it is a different culture nowadays!

Used to have the highest turnover of any pub outside of London and top ten in the nation. My brother told me recently that they closed the back bar and it was now a storage room.
When I worked there it was standing room only from one end to the other even on a weeknight.
Aye, it was Bass' most profitable pub in the UK for a while. There are regular rumours that the bar will be reopened but it never is. I have 2 trophies from my time as a player in the Barnes title winning darts team - mind you, a good few of my teammates are now dead.

A quick aside, from my Grandfather's history of South Hylton:

A remarkable feature of South Hylton is the number of public houses and ale houses which have existed. They were not necessarily in business all at the same time, but for it's size, Hylton must have consumed a great deal of ale. From various records I have compiled a list of twenty three named houses and at least a dozen un-named ale houses. The named houses with locations where know, are:-

1 The Board
2 The Carpenters' Arms
3 The Commercial - South side of High Street above Listers Buildings
4 George and Dragon - Ferryboat Row
5 Gibralter Rock
6 The Golden Lion
7 Hylton Arms - an earlier name for Golden Lion
8 Jolly Potters - riverside where rowing club boathouse was 9 Leopard - riverside near Gales shipyard
10 Queen's Head - High Row
11 Railway Inn - next to Station
12 Ship Victoria - on riverside west of new bridge
13 The Royal Oak
14 Spotted Leopard
15 Victoria - Church Street
16 Wheatsheaf - bottom of High Street
17 Garden House - western most, near Gill Steps
18 Alma - Alma Street
19 Albion, 4 Railway Terrace
20 The Jolly Potter - formerly Ford Villa
21 The Travellers Rest - behind the church
22 The Pineapple - at the foot of John Street
23 The Renforth in Ferryboat Row, closed during World War One

I have been able to compile a list of many of the tenants of the above houses from 1828 to 1874. (See appendix C.)

Those who should be mentioned are Wm. Wakefield who was brewing beer at the Railway Inn in 1865 and Thomas Wakefield held the licence in 1886. The first William was also the Brick and Tile Manufacturer. A Robert Reay was at the Spotted Leopard in 1834. Was he some relation of the shipbuilder? Also a William Naizby was in the Commercial in 1844, again this could have been the Shipbuilder. Robert Whitfield at the Ship Victoria between 1844-47 is also listed as a shipsmith. There is also recorded a Hylton Hotel in Mount Pleasant in 1867, This seems to have been an attempt to rename the Commercial. (See Appendix C.)

Account of fire at the George & Dragon, 1st December, 1891.

Last night a fire occurred at the public house known as the George and Dragon, at Hylton, in the occupation of Mr. Wm. Davison. The house stands about a hundred yards away from the ferry-landing and is well know to visitors to the village, Mr. Davison and his family being equally well known and much respected. Th. house contained five rooms and a bar, and was rather old property, being built of brick and stone, but a considerable amount of timber had been used in the construction. The family consisted of Mr. Davison and his wife and two children (one 31⁄2 years and the other a baby of three weeks), Mr. Davison's sister, Sarah Jane Gibbon, and Mrs Davison's sister, Mary Ann Porter. Miss Gibbon did not usually reside in the house, but had come to look after Mrs. Davison during her recent confinement.

I think there's only one now.

Back