Public EV chargers- is there a knack?

When I went for the test drive they recommended leaving it in chill mode which I’d agree with, put it in standard and it’s way to flighty for a novice.

It’s going to be hairy out on the roads when EV’s become cheaper and the young’uns get their hands on them. It’ll be like a dodgem ride at the fairground going out on the roads.
They'll all be restricted at some point

I’ve just parked in a car park with loads of chargers, but they’re all in disabled bays. Does that mean that non-disabled folk aren’t allowed to use them then? Seems a bit discriminatory

I don’t dare park there in case I get fined though.
Signs should be clearer.
On another note, I just used a 50kw pod point and it worked superbly.

Pod points are great. Except the one near my Mam’s house which the local kids smashed to bits and PodPoint won’t now replace. Hope the little bastards get what’s coming to them.

Can you send a photo of this disabled bay or tell us where it is so I can check it out on maps? :lol:

Pod points are great. Except the one near my Mam’s house which the local kids smashed to bits and PodPoint won’t now replace. Hope the little bastards get what’s coming to them.

Can you send a photo of this disabled bay or tell us where it is so I can check it out on maps? :lol:
Isle of Man

Sunderland Royal disabled bays in front of A&E are the same.

Popped the car on charge at a rapid point and walked 15 to the shops. Just got a notification my charge ended suddenly.

Some cheeky **** has just ended my charging session to put his car on.

Popped the car on charge at a rapid point and walked 15 to the shops. Just got a notification my charge ended suddenly.

Some cheeky **** has just ended my charging session to put his car on.
I assume you can end his when you get back to your car? As well as leave something smeared on his “petrol” cap too?

I assume you can end his when you get back to your car? As well as leave something smeared on his “petrol” cap too?

I checked the notification. Stopped charging. I checked the charge point app - CCS off, Chademo currently charging.

Got here and there’s no car and hasn’t been any other car. Chademo lead still in the machine.

Restarted the charging and it went off after a minute, charging unit must just be fucked. Have to say, I am yet to find a single charge provider other than PodPoint that isn’t useless.

I checked the notification. Stopped charging. I checked the charge point app - CCS off, Chademo currently charging.

Got here and there’s no car and hasn’t been any other car. Chademo lead still in the machine.

Restarted the charging and it went off after a minute, charging unit must just be fucked. Have to say, I am yet to find a single charge provider other than PodPoint that isn’t useless.
When they're changing they're locked in aren't they? Someone else can't just disconnect.

When they're changing they're locked in aren't they? Someone else can't just disconnect.

That’s what I thought. I checked the app as I walked back to the car and it said my CCS charge had stopped and the Chademo port was in use, so naturally I assumed someone had started a Chademo charge and stopped mine.

Think the machine is just fucked. Most of them seem to be. Found another one mind.

Ah but I mean if someone pressed emergency stop, would the cars charge port unlock?
I don't know about the charger end but if using say a type 2 cable the car has to be unlocked before being it can be released. I regularly use the 50kw charger at Morrison's in doxy its a Geniepoint never had an issue with it other than when some cock parks his car across both bays like

Did anyone see that thing on channel 5 tonight?

Massively critical of the charging infrastructure

Last edited:

Back