Pub Names

The duck and kangaroo was an odd name for a rough estate pub
Never thought it was that rough to be honest.. but I was brought up just down the road so knew most.. some interesting days/nights..

Think the bricks have gone now.

Red hackle is a strange name. Shields/jarrow

Went to one in tayport called the ponderosa

Couple of bars I used to drink in in Newcastle had names that stood out a bit ...

The Egypt Cottage ( now gone)
The Crown Posada ( still there )

I'm lead to believe (the landlord once told me - may not be true) that a "Crown Posada" is the crown on a pillow immediately before a coronation, when it's not assigned to anyone (previous monarch dead, new monarch not had their coronation).

He reckoned that the pub got its name from the sign which used to show the Crown in that state.

Which is true of a lot of old pubs. In the days when people couldn't read, taverns used pub signs to mark them apart. A pub with a Swan on the sign would become known as "the white swan", a lion painted red "The Red Lion" etc.... so I guess its feasible
Further to that, I read once about a pub called "The Bull in Spectacles".

The owners had commissioned a new pub sign, which had been left out before being hung. Some local wit grafittied it and gave it glasses and it was apparently cheaper to rename the pub than commision a new sign!!!!

Last edited:
A dog and pickle near me.. the sign has a dog sat next to a gherkin... Wtf
The Kicking Cuddy, Coxhoe.
Kicking dicky I know of.. the sign is a donkey kicking out
Used to be rat & parrot in Harrogate too

The cranemakers in Carlisle is a bit unusual too.
Rat and parrot became quite a big chain. Met my wife in a rat and parrot in covent garden

Last edited:

Back