Pub Names

Many of us frequent pubs from time to time but I’m sure we all have some great names above the door of those pubs.
A couple of strange ones as a starter
Bucket of Blood. In Hayle in Cornwall is a bit strange and Pigs Nose in East Portlemouth in south Devon
Any others that you cherubs find quirky?
The Glue Pot. Always wondered what an odd name it was, I was watching an episode of mud men and they found a glue pot in the Thames. They reckoned popping off to fill up the glue pot was code for nipping off for a sly pint way way back in the old shipyard days.

I'm lead to believe (the landlord once told me - may not be true) that a "Crown Posada" is the crown on a pillow immediately before a coronation, when it's not assigned to anyone (previous monarch dead, new monarch not had their coronation).

He reckoned that the pub got its name from the sign which used to show the Crown in that state.

Which is true of a lot of old pubs. In the days when people couldn't read, taverns used pub signs to mark them apart. A pub with a Swan on the sign would become known as "the white swan", a lion painted red "The Red Lion" etc.... so I guess its feasible
Further to that, I read once about a pub called "The Bull in Spectacles".

The owners had commissioned a new pub sign, which had been left out before being hung. Some local wit grafittied it and gave it glasses and it was apparently cheaper to rename the pub than commision a new sign!!!!
Wasn't Andy was it?
The black bitch in linlithgow
Been forced to change its name, hell on
Trying to change it to the willow tree or the black hound. Locals are garn nuts.
Oh I was under the impression it had already been changed

Last edited:
Think it's a greene king pub now.

Slept on a table there once as an aside
Good day at the marches?
Wasn't Andy was it?

Seems it has. Maybe the locals should boycoutt it.
Wasn't Andy was it?

Seems it has. Maybe the locals should boycoutt it.

Last edited:
Worked over in Broughton in Furness a few years back, and stayed in The Black Cock. Good beer, nice food, friendly locals. I grew to love The Black Cock.

Been in there. Wouldn't call it a pub like, have to book a slot to get in.
The Jolly Taxpayer in Pompey. One of the very few pubs in the city I've never been in.
Sir Loin of Beef, just around the corner from where I'm working.
Never thought it was that rough to be honest.. but I was brought up just down the road so knew most.. some interesting days/nights..

Think the bricks have gone now.

Red hackle is a strange name. Shields/jarrow

Went to one in tayport called the ponderosa
Ravenswood road?

Last edited:
Many of us frequent pubs from time to time but I’m sure we all have some great names above the door of those pubs.
A couple of strange ones as a starter
Bucket of Blood. In Hayle in Cornwall is a bit strange and Pigs Nose in East Portlemouth in south Devon
Any others that you cherubs find quirky?
Used to live near a pub called The Divan ,
on Hudson rd Hendon.Just before it closed 63/64 my Uncle’s took me in and got me haft of shandy.Their all called it the Couch .At time didn’t think it was an usual name yet when I mention it now Most people say what a odd name for a pub .

Back