Pub Names

Up till last year there was the Blackie Boy in Newcastle,pub still there ,new name
There was also a Blackie boy in Bristol

Recently closed
I'm lead to believe (the landlord once told me - may not be true) that a "Crown Posada" is the crown on a pillow immediately before a coronation, when it's not assigned to anyone (previous monarch dead, new monarch not had their coronation).

He reckoned that the pub got its name from the sign which used to show the Crown in that state.

Which is true of a lot of old pubs. In the days when people couldn't read, taverns used pub signs to mark them apart. A pub with a Swan on the sign would become known as "the white swan", a lion painted red "The Red Lion" etc.... so I guess its feasible
Further to that, I read once about a pub called "The Bull in Spectacles".

The owners had commissioned a new pub sign, which had been left out before being hung. Some local wit grafittied it and gave it glasses and it was apparently cheaper to rename the pub than commision a new sign!!!!
Posada or Pousada is a Portuguese word that means ' inn' or resting place.

There was a Portugal connection at some point hence the name.

Worth checking out this pub on a mid week night when it's less busy

Last edited:

The Queens Head, somewhere on the road to Brighton, not a strange name but had a pic of Freddie Mercury as the board picture outside, few years back but always made me giggle đź‘Ť

I once made a pub sign for my local "The pig and whistle" I thought it was quite good, but the landlord said it wasn't good enough because there wasn't enough lettering space between pig and and, and and and whistle :eek:

Last edited:
Used to visit a mate at Loughborough, always remember a pub called The Sea Around Us, miles from the coast on the side of a main road but it was done out like a seaside pub.

The Hairy Dog in Minehead if it is still there.
Still there. Still crap.
In Plympton in Plymouth you can tell your missus you are going to the Post Office and get leathered because it's a pub.
Just outside of Plymouth there's one called The Chip Shop đź‘Ť

Last edited:
The Antigallican that used to be right outside the Valley.

It effectively means anti French. There were loads of pubs called this during the Napoleonic wars apparently but the name fell out of favour once we ended up being on the same side. Maybe some of the knuckledraggers who love Brexit and Boris can get it ressurected?

Other ones I like are;

The Nation of Shopkeepers in Leeds
The House of Trembling Madness in York
The Fawcett Inn, Portsmouth
The Case is Altered, Harrow

The honest boy in blackfell, the ultimate oxymoron
There is an honest lawyer over the road from the dishonest brief (or something like that) somewhere we have been for the football. Can't remember where mind and will have to look it up now.

They are in Southampton;

Seems the Bent Brief is now closed.
The black bitch in linlithgow
There is also the Four Mary's in Linlithgow, which I find highly amusing given I have three sisters who are all called Mary plus a sister in law called Mary. I even went out of my way once up there to get a photo outside it.

Why not sit back back and enjoy yourself in front of one of our five carefully controlled fires? There is no blaring music, no video game cacophony. Just the gentle art of conversation, good food and twenty four Air hockey tables.
Three of us actually stayed in a similar named pub for a Sunderland game at Hull, can't believe I forgot about that one. It was rough as ****

It was called the Loud Mouthed Count.

Last edited:

Back