PTSD help (possibly)

March Browns, and Blue Dunn 's, early season is the trick... Oh ! and the the Best of The Moody Blues Album.. You can thank me later
I’m exaggerating mate I have had some truly wonderful fishing sessions that I will remember for ever.

I just try to blot out all the blanks.

I had two courses of CBT, the second was far better than the first, as I really clicked with the person, they then went on to do some EMDR sessions which have been absolutely life changing, if not hard work at the time.
Agree with that...all good communications and understanding come with good chemistry. My partner didn't gain anything from CBT, but then she's super smart and questions everything, plus her now reduced ego pretends not to be ill.

PTSD has many causes...one horrific incident or multiple events, whatever it's guise the sufferiing is the same. It can rid you of all emotion, a numb state where you search in vain for a good memory. For me it's multiple incidents over many years, and as forgiving as I am, I could never close the door, but few days ago after being floored all day by a single memory, I saw a way to deal with it, or should I say, live with it.

Let's say you suffer from PTSD through bullying at school, work, family etc. The random memories that visit you are nails...they push against your skin, you cry, you bleed, and when it's all over, you wait for the wound to heal. Now let all the memories in, live with them, for now they are a bed of nails...lay on it, you will feel only a slight discomfort, and in time you will sleep soundly with your memories.

Peace & Love (hopefully)
Life is about today and tomorrow, what’s done is done there’s no changing that.
Sadly some cannot move on for whatever reasons and it can not only destroy them but those around them too.

It sounds like a very lonely life for many.

Sadly some cannot move on for whatever reasons and it can not only destroy them but those around them too.

Plus the people close to the sufferer also suffer. Perhaps things would be different if we weren't so obsessed with conditional love, it breaks society.

Surely you all letting the memories in and you are living with them ,that's why you suffer from it ?
During my paramedic training it was the start of “ reflecting practice “
It’s a massive thing now with numerous studies about the positive impacts of it to aid learning.
One of my reflections was the negative impact that this has in mental health and imo, some things are best not reflecting on and as a way of coping. we stick them in a box , lock it, soak it in alcohol and throw it into the abyss hopefully never to be seen again.
Reflecting opens that box so it needs soaking again

Unfortunately real PTSD is all about memories that can't be processed due to how the brain dealt with an experience in the limbic system ( amygdala , hippocampus ) . There's a fragmentation of the event that means it can't be located in time , place and meaning . Hence the continual journey into the past to try and sort it .
It's quite distinct from depressive rumination although can look the same

Unfortunately real PTSD is all about memories that can't be processed due to how the brain dealt with an experience in the limbic system ( amygdala , hippocampus ) . There's a fragmentation of the event that means it can't be located in time , place and meaning . Hence the continual journey into the past to try and sort it .
It's quite distinct from depressive rumination although can look the same
Some can overcome things whatever the trauma, some cannot.

I seen someone deteriorate within the last two years due to PTSD leading to alcoholism and death.

I honestly believe they were beyond any help, they knew they had major issues but never changed.

Mix PTSD with addiction you’re virtually screwed.

Some can overcome things whatever the trauma, some cannot.

I seen someone deteriorate within the last two years due to PTSD leading to alcoholism and death.

I honestly believe they were beyond any help, they knew they had major issues but never changed.

Mix PTSD with addiction you’re virtually screwed.
I would agree with that in the main . What defines those who can overcome is more of a conundrum . As far as the PTSD / addiction thing goes it's a nightmare

Sure, but every journey starts with a single step ....
Sorry but that's as much hoohaa as the first post
You can walk all day and get nowhere
During my paramedic training it was the start of “ reflecting practice “
It’s a massive thing now with numerous studies about the positive impacts of it to aid learning.
One of my reflections was the negative impact that this has in mental health and imo, some things are best not reflecting on and as a way of coping. we stick them in a box , lock it, soak it in alcohol and throw it into the abyss hopefully never to be seen again.
Reflecting opens that box so it needs soaking again
I honestly can't believe we have to invent these barmy imagination techniques to fix real problems
I'd last about a minute of people talking in that style

Last edited:
Sorry but that's as much hoohaa as the first post
You can walk all day and get nowhere

I honestly can't believe we have to invent these barmy imagination techniques to fix real problems
I'd last about a minute of people talking in that style
"Image rescripting" is a big part of trauma treatment. Essentially when an old scary thought or image is consistently accessed it gets hard wired . Replacing it or modifying it by practicing another one can work in reducing frequency or intensity of arousal. We tend towards thoughts that are practiced or emotionally laden , image rescripting gives the brain an alternative.

The wife did an EMDR course just before Covid. Speaks very highly of it.

She leans towards ACT these days as her preference.
What the OP is describing is basically part of ACT , the acceptance part , giving up on the struggle involved in avoidance 👍

Back