PTSD help (possibly)

Gelan

Winger
PTSD has many causes...one horrific incident or multiple events, whatever it's guise the sufferiing is the same. It can rid you of all emotion, a numb state where you search in vain for a good memory. For me it's multiple incidents over many years, and as forgiving as I am, I could never close the door, but few days ago after being floored all day by a single memory, I saw a way to deal with it, or should I say, live with it.

Let's say you suffer from PTSD through bullying at school, work, family etc. The random memories that visit you are nails...they push against your skin, you cry, you bleed, and when it's all over, you wait for the wound to heal. Now let all the memories in, live with them, for now they are a bed of nails...lay on it, you will feel only a slight discomfort, and in time you will sleep soundly with your memories.

Peace & Love (hopefully)

Last edited:

PTSD has many causes...one horrific incident or multiple events, whatever it's guise the sufferiing is the same. It can rid you of all emotion, a numb state where you search in vain for a good memory. For me it's multiple incidents over many years, and as forgiving as I am, I could never close the door, but few days ago after being floored all day by a single memory, I saw a way to deal with it, or should I say, live with it.

Let's say you suffer from PTSD through bullying at school, work, family etc. The random memories that visit you are nails...they push against your skin, you cry, you bleed, and when it's all over, you wait for the wound to heal. Now let all the memories in, live with them, for now they are a bed of nails...lay on it, you will feel only a slight discomfort, and in time you will sleep soundly with your memories.

Peace & Love (hopefully)
My mother suffers from it. Describes similar to what you have described, apart from the nails stuff. It's been traced back to a singular memory.

Basically, her dad who was a massive piece of shit, sired 7 children knowing fine we'll he had Huntingtons but didn't tell anyone. Then pissed off.

When problems started coming to light with the oldest children they were all summoned to a hospital for tests and all sat together in a circle and the doctor basically went round all the brothers and sisters while they were together and just stared saying you have it, you don't etc. The people that also had it, some had children as well.

My mam ran away before her turn and never confronted it and is an emotional mess from time to time.

Having hobbies helps massively, but I think there is some merit in what you are saying. Would the PTSD be as bad if she had accepted what was happening rather than running and trying to bury it. Who knows?

Surely you all letting the memories in and you are living with them ,that's why you suffer from it ?

Everyone's different like but avoidance is rarely the best long term solution. But everyone's limits of how much and how quickly they can accept and process pain/grief/etc is different and it's a balancing act getting that right

Trauma affects your behaviour enormously. Your own actions. Your responses to others behaviour. My response for 20 years was dissociation And I spent maybe 50-75% of the time feeling nothing at all. That makes sense from an emotionally protective point of view. But perhaps the worst effect of not feeling emotions, is you can make absolutely terrible decisions as nothing is regulating your decision making.

When I started psychotherapy a couple of years back, I felt ready after a few months to start letting myself feel things. My emotions were then an absolute mess for several months. Watching series and films was really hard as I felt all these unknown emotions. I was overly happy, overly mentally stimulated and overly sad. I used to cry at loads of things, happy and sad as I couldn't handle the emotional changes.

As Twisted said, it's hard to balance and get right. It takes time, perseverance, a hell of a lot of self awareness and maybe professional support.

I was diagnosed with PTSD 2 years ago after a very traumatic experience that happened 4 years ago. I went to the doctor's about 6 months after it and to be honest they were useless and all he did was give me a few leaflets of organisations that could help and it was then down to me to sort things out. This just made it worse as it took the 6 months to actually build myself up to going the the doctor's nevermind phone a complete stranger. So I didn't and suffered and COVID hit and things got worse and everyone suffered because of this! I went back to the doctor's ( phone appointment) with a new doctor at the practice and she was great and listened to what was going on and organised for me to see someone and was diagnosed with PTSD. It's still a struggle but I now have access to people who help and have helped. So if you feel down or are struggling please try and get help.

I was diagnosed with PTSD 2 years ago after a very traumatic experience that happened 4 years ago. I went to the doctor's about 6 months after it and to be honest they were useless and all he did was give me a few leaflets of organisations that could help and it was then down to me to sort things out. This just made it worse as it took the 6 months to actually build myself up to going the the doctor's nevermind phone a complete stranger. So I didn't and suffered and COVID hit and things got worse and everyone suffered because of this! I went back to the doctor's ( phone appointment) with a new doctor at the practice and she was great and listened to what was going on and organised for me to see someone and was diagnosed with PTSD. It's still a struggle but I now have access to people who help and have helped. So if you feel down or are struggling please try and get help.
It's great you got help as it's very hard to get NHS help. I went through 3 times. Counseling, CBT and CAT. It's hard to get anything higher level than CBT as it's cheap and clears waiting lists. I am fortunate in that I can afford private therapy and found a therapist first time who is fantastic.

Peace & Love (hopefully)

Do you not think you could be causing more harm than good by giving your own (unqualified) advice on the treatment of a serious condition by chucking it out onto a public forum. You're not a doctor and even if you are, your not our doctor.

I’m confused. Is this the help or are you asking for help?
I'm a stubborn fecker who has continually refused help, as I I have a revulsion of my former self that spent 30 years feeling sorry for himself...so no, I am not looking for help. This coping method is just one of many angles and may only benefit those wth multiple and complex bad memores. I know a few posters outside this forum, and one in particular has singe incident PTSD. I like to think I have an answer for every problem, but in reality, like anyone else, I am on a constant learning curve, and so frustrated am I not to be able to give this iindividual any comfort, but by creating dialogue from opening up we increase our chances of finding answers.
Do you not think you could be causing more harm than good by giving your own (unqualified) advice on the treatment of a serious condition by chucking it out onto a public forum. You're not a doctor and even if you are, your not our doctor.
You've made it clear you don't like or understand me, but there are more influential dark alleys in the ether than my simple discovery that I have chosen to share. Do you spend hours on youtube documenting dangerously influential videos, then repoting such like? Would you express the same view on the depression thread, where advice is continually given and taken? Shut down free speech and the intergration of ideas and you fuck society.

You don't need to try to be clever with me, I don't ever want desire a personal win...be nice, it pays off.

Last edited:
Trauma affects your behaviour enormously. Your own actions. Your responses to others behaviour. My response for 20 years was dissociation And I spent maybe 50-75% of the time feeling nothing at all. That makes sense from an emotionally protective point of view. But perhaps the worst effect of not feeling emotions, is you can make absolutely terrible decisions as nothing is regulating your decision making.

When I started psychotherapy a couple of years back, I felt ready after a few months to start letting myself feel things. My emotions were then an absolute mess for several months. Watching series and films was really hard as I felt all these unknown emotions. I was overly happy, overly mentally stimulated and overly sad. I used to cry at loads of things, happy and sad as I couldn't handle the emotional changes.

As Twisted said, it's hard to balance and get right. It takes time, perseverance, a hell of a lot of self awareness and maybe professional support.

Hope things are settled down a bit more now marra. Would you say you're happy now? Relatively speaking

Hope things are settled down a bit more now marra. Would you say you're happy now? Relatively speaking
Overall I am in a far better place than three years ago, though I still have tough periods. I learned that they pass though, which has been vital. I used to just feel helpless and trapped so anything now is a big improvement and I think I have more good than bad days

I am having to unlearn a lot of black and white / all or nothing thinking. The notion of happiness is one of those things I used to think you either always are or always are not and despaired at not being. Whereas now it seems to me like it's on a wave of ups and downs and that is ok.

How are you finding things?

You've made it clear you don't like or understand me, but there are more influential dark alleys in the ether than my simple discovery that I have chosen to share. Do you spend hours on youtube documenting dangerously influential videos, then repoting such like? Would you express the same view on the depression thread, where advice is continually given and taken? Shut down free speech and the intergration of ideas and you fuck society.

You don't need to try to be clever with me, I don't ever want desire a personal win...be nice, it pays off.

You're a character that clearly revels in being bombastic and faux-mystic. Speaks volumes.

You've offered no practical help, just waffle and nonsense wrapped up in waffle, that's why we'll never be friends.

People on the depression thread offer practical advice and experience, not bombastic waffle.

You're a character that clearly revels in being bombastic and faux-mystic. Speaks volumes.

You've offered no practical help, just waffle and nonsense wrapped up in waffle, that's why we'll never be friends.

People on the depression thread offer practical advice and experience, not bombastic waffle.
No matter our opinion of the MODs, they are for the most part balanced in judgement, so no need to appoint yourself as a deputy because you deem a post dangerous.

You're welcome to your negative opinion of me and my methods, it bothers me not...subject closed yes?

Back