Private Plates

How come they look naff? It seems only people who dont have them put themselves on this pedestal and feel so strongly about it. Got mine as 30th birthday pressie from the mrs. Also, plus side is it makes more identifiable should it get stolen. Got a £60 refund when i updated my insurance when i got it

Peaches the florida plate?
I think you have that the wrong way round. I don't have one because I think they are naff.

There's just a cheesy 1980's Flash Harry vibe to them.

Insurance element is interesting but at the same time I'd rather be less identifiable in those odd occasions where you have an altercation with some nutter on the roads.

Peaches are on the Georgia plate. Florida is oranges.

I personally like the ones who put the actual name underneath in small letters so that people know what it means
I've never seen one of those. But I suppose it makes sense. Putting Noncy on your car would make no sense even if you put beneath it that it is really Nancy on it though.

I'm always surprised by the SMB's dislike of personalised number plates given its general obsession with pointless status symbols like watches.
A watch at least tells the time, as opposed to the cherished plate which tells others you’re likely a H37 MET

A mate had T121 PPY (TRIPPY) on his car until recently. He got rid of it because he's getting on a bit now and it no longer fitted in with his life style.

I think every driver should have one. You pass the driving test and then apply for a plate. You then keep that plate for your driving lifetime transfering it from car to car you own. Or untill you decide to change it if you fancy a change.
It would do away with the need some people have to have the latest year number plate on their car. To show the neighbours they've got a brand new car. People would keep cars longer which has to be good for the planet.

I bought one for my son cos I’d been waiting for a specific year to get one that resembles his name. It’s on my car at the moment but it’ll be his when he has his own car in a couple of year

It would do away with the need some people have to have the latest year number plate on their car. To show the neighbours they've got a brand new car. People would keep cars longer which has to be good for the planet.
Precisely why they are changed twice a year: to encourage the sackless to keep spending.

A mate had T121 PPY (TRIPPY) on his car until recently. He got rid of it because he's getting on a bit now and it no longer fitted in with his life style.
These are the ones I don't get. As long as he enjoyed having it I guess it was worth it, but I bet one out of a hundred other people would look at that and see 'TRIPPY'.
I know a very famous “adult film star” who had a rather saucy number plate.

She did it to flaunt her sexuality. According to her.

She was horrible, she looked like a dried old grape and had halitosis.

M1 NGE?

Its also against the law to change the spacing other than what is displayed on the plate reg/v5 so adding spaces, screw caps etc is a road traffic offence.

Dont mind plates as their meant to be. Dont get the attitude that anyone with one is self obsessed or too much money. Only about £200 notes
Do the police ever stop anyone with an altered number plate?

I would have thought it would be too much chew for the cops to be bothered about a plate.

I would have thought it would be too much chew for the cops to be bothered about a plate.

I hate tinted plates. £100 for that as they know its illegal and intentionally trying to blend plate in with vehicle. Its having the time as always after something else more pressing really. If DVLA paid some overtime think id run out of tickets. They were meant to be issuing letters using ANPR data warning to revoke peoples plates. Thats the best way of stopping it, losing a £2.5k plate as you put a tint on it. DVLA always own the plate

I hate tinted plates. £100 for that as they know its illegal and intentionally trying to blend plate in with vehicle. Its having the time as always after something else more pressing really. If DVLA paid some overtime think id run out of tickets. They were meant to be issuing letters using ANPR data warning to revoke peoples plates. Thats the best way of stopping it, losing a £2.5k plate as you put a tint on it. DVLA always own the plate
I can’t imagine the paperwork involved for a traffic cop to do someone for a plate offence. Unless the car or occupants look well dodgy and they also get them for possession or theft or some other more serious crime.

I can’t imagine the paperwork involved for a traffic cop to do someone for a plate offence. Unless the car or occupants look well dodgy and they also get them for possession or theft or some other more serious crime.

Its absolutely piece of piss. Write ticket out and theres away. Leave them to pay. Even when they dont its not too bad. Same with seatbelts. If thats all they focussed on, could have loads a day

I once got stopped for my FTM plate and was told it could be offensive to some people. I said I know, that's the point. That was in London and the cop was from Northumberland iirc.

Back