Private Plates

I’ve just bought my 17 year old a car. £1,800 quid for his first years insurance on a 999cc three cylinder engine. 😳

What is it with Kia’s and odd plates. My mam bought one and it came with some weird plate; and I’ve seen a few about.
No idea? It was a wheelchair access vehicle that was owned by a funeral place. I bought it in Sheffield.

It got pinched from a garage with the keys in after I'd had it about a month! I was told by plod no chance of getting it back so I bought another until the cash came through. A month later it turned up! £350 to recover it from the pound in Newcastle (the garage paid).

I then sold the plate, got a new key and fob sorted with the proceeds (garage delaying for months, finally gave up on them). Unfortunately the reason it was in the garage was the diesel tank had sprung a leak, £320 to get that sorted. £15 for original plates remade, £50 for an MOT. Ouch.

Sold it for the same as I'd paid for it a couple of days ago after about 6 months of hassle 😏

Thought about it never done it, some can look good nice car tasteful private plate, this obsession with ambiguous spellings of names or nicknames I just don’t get but each to their own, don’t understand the brigade who get it to hide the age of their car either.

Nowt as strange as folk I suppose.

Different strokes for different blokes really, me and my son have got identical plates bar 1 digit with our surname (our surname is not very common), my wife got to pick her plate with her new car and it's very similar..they all look cool as fk on the driveway and you deffo know who lives there😉
Sounds like a shit episode of Lloyd grossmans through the keyhole.
Who live in a house like this......program ruined after the 1st minute walk up the drive

I had a chance to buy an Aprilia Tuono with the reg T11ONO for £1,800 which I was happy to pay but I tried to get him down to £1,500. In the mean time someone paid the asking price and weeks later the numberplate was being hawked around for £850. The bike alone was worth £2,500.

For people with more money than sense in my eyes. Something relevant to the car is OK and I suppose something like "RG 1" is a flex of having serious money, but the ones trying to spell out something with weird spacing and black dots are just tragic.

However people can spend their money on whatever tat they like. It's also a good way for the government to raise money which costs nowt - they should be more creative with issuing older plates to maximise it.

Its also against the law to change the spacing other than what is displayed on the plate reg/v5 so adding spaces, screw caps etc is a road traffic offence.

Dont mind plates as their meant to be. Dont get the attitude that anyone with one is self obsessed or too much money. Only about £200 notes

On a wider note the U.K. plates are boring. In the States they are state related with pictures of peaches, palm trees , skyscrapers etc . Various background colours as well.

Also I ve never figured how they have plates with Hot Dog or Big Jim on them.

Its also against the law to change the spacing other than what is displayed on the plate reg/v5 so adding spaces, screw caps etc is a road traffic offence.

Dont mind plates as their meant to be. Dont get the attitude that anyone with one is self obsessed or too much money. Only about £200 notes
Doesn't matter if they are £200 or £2 million. Any money spent making yourself look bad is money wasted. Lots of my mates and family members have them. I just think they look naff.

The wife got herself one a few years ago I wondered why then realised it was so she could find the right car in a car park before trying to get into it. I've also witnessed some that press their alarm fob to see which one's lights flash before they try it. It's quite worrying really.

Doesn't matter if they are £200 or £2 million. Any money spent making yourself look bad is money wasted. Lots of my mates and family members have them. I just think they look naff.

How come they look naff? It seems only people who dont have them put themselves on this pedestal and feel so strongly about it. Got mine as 30th birthday pressie from the mrs. Also, plus side is it makes more identifiable should it get stolen. Got a £60 refund when i updated my insurance when i got it
On a wider note the U.K. plates are boring. In the States they are state related with pictures of peaches, palm trees , skyscrapers etc . Various background colours as well.

Also I ve never figured how they have plates with Hot Dog or Big Jim on them.

Peaches the florida plate?

Just seen its georgia. Florida is of course oranges. California one i always think of a lambo or ferrari

Last edited:
90% as a minimum look nothing like they are supposedly trying to spell.

Then there are those gone horribly wrong. Like N20 NCY. Trying to pass of a name with a number 2 stuck in the middle isn't bad enough, they try and pass an O of as an A.

Back