Private Plates

Me old man had one which I thought looked great on his car, and foolishly let my brother have when he passed away. Maybe it’s sentimental coupled with the fact it was very subtle, but I really liked it.

But, as a rule, think they are pretty shite and it’s a pretty ridiculous notion when you think about it.

A few years back I genuinely considered getting one that almost spelled out my name….then I thought give ower ya tit.

Vanity plates
Bob33 for bob in a Rolls Royce ill give you
Be03 nnn for Bob in a 12 year old Renault, cringey .

If you suggested getting your name in sticky letters and sticking them on the back of the car they'd say no chance . But why ?

Also S3 AUD on an audi s3
How novel

Last edited:
Got an SAFC one, bought it 20 odd years ago when i was in my early 30’s, loved it for years but with age i got less fussed by it. When i retired two years ago i had it removed from my company car and haven’t bothered using it since. I will give it to my Daughter for her birthday this year, she will absolutely love it.

I’ll not give away the full plate but I saw one recently in Gateshead that spelled ‘nonce’ with a couple of other characters thrown in. Didn’t look very well thought out.

Actually put that gag on the end then edited it as it was so shit 😉
I can only imagine....😁
When I was just starting driving I remember the Sunday papers used to have ads for private plate companies in every week, there was 007 GR (my initials) advertised for weeks for £750, unfortunately the car I had at the time only cost me £400 ('79 white Triumph Dolomite) so it wasn't really viable but I reckon that would be worth 5 figures now possibly?

Last edited:
I can only imagine....😁
When I was just starting driving I remember the Sunday papers used to have ads for private plate companies in every week, there was 007 GR (my initials) advertised for weeks for £750, unfortunately the car I had at the time only cost me £400 ('79 white Triumph Dolomite) so it wasn't really viable but I reckon that would be worth 5 figures now possibly?
Easily.

I can only imagine....😁
Aye think that’s where me Da’s came from….his was 3 numbers and 3 letters.

Think they were Irish or something (the plate, not me folks)

Used to think they were for bellends so I bought one myself recently 🤣. I think they are a bit daft like especially for people up to no good as you are easier identifiable
I think stuff like B19 or BO55 are a bit sad like
In my stoner days I wanted W33D XX. Would have been absolute stupidity and a big sign saying pull me🤣. Recently I bid on a one for my bike but ended up going for £900

Last edited:
I can only imagine....😁
Especially if you had a career on Her/His Majesty’s Service

If you don't mind me asking marra, how does an 18 year old lass afford a car, insure it and run it these days??

I’ve just bought my 17 year old a car. £1,800 quid for his first years insurance on a 999cc three cylinder engine. 😳
I got one for Xmas a couple of years ago. I scoffed my wife about hers so she bought me one! It's not something I would have ever bought for myself.

I sold a private plate recently off a car that came with one that I was selling. Only 5 digits so it should have been worth a few bob but I only got £280 off eBay for it less £30 selling fee and £80 retention. Not much of a money spinner!

If only Fred Philip Smith had been after one...
What is it with Kia’s and odd plates. My mam bought one and it came with some weird plate; and I’ve seen a few about.

Last edited:
Personalised is obviously a personal choice but I recently bought an older car (16 years old, 08 plate) and for about a split second considered getting a 'cherished' 😂 plate for it, then remembered that it's actually not very cool at all and would actually spoil the car, which looks just right with the correct age plates on it.

It's nothing flash and definitely not a valuable classic but when you see really lovely older cars that are worth proper money you don't want some wankery plate spoiling the look, you want it to look authentic.

I kind of feel the same way about all uses of personalised plates, it's similar to people putting extra chrome trims or stickers on cars which inevitably look a bit shit. It doesn't make you look important or make your car look better.

Back