Private IVF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghandi Floss

Striker
I've been unsure whether to ask on here, especially with me not having much anonymity anymore, but here goes.

Has anyone on here had/having any experience with private IVF treatment?

Me and the missus (no) have been trying for another child for over 4 years, alas, to no avail. We've both been for sperm/egg testing, (I thought coming in a cup, in a hospital room, whilst simultaneously looking at pictures and reading a story from 2 Razzles, would've been a tad more tricky) which were both fine. I'm 40 and she's 44, so we've no chance on the NHS. We understand our chances will be diminished due to our ages.
I'm willing to pay, as we're desperate for another, but we're not sure where to go. As in, I'd imagine even a consultation to be expensive, thus, it'll be imperative to find a good clinic with high success rate, as it could end up being a hell of a lot of money.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

...I'm 40 and she's 44, so we've no chance on the NHS. We understand our chances will be diminished due to our ages.
I'm willing to pay, as we're desperate for another, but we're not sure where to go. As in, I'd imagine even a consultation to be expensive, thus, it'll be imperative to find a good clinic with high success rate, as it could end up being a hell of a lot of money.

Sometimes this (in red above) stops conception. Maybe relax and not be too stressed whether you have another or not, and you may find nature plays it's part.

I feel for you as wanting a child and not conceiving can be a monthly wrench.

Can your fertility clinic/GP/Nurse at least explain why conception isn't happening ? Once you have this information you may know how to proceed.

Google secondary infertility (I'm saying this as it sounds like you have a child already).

Good luck!

Why do you have no chance on the NHS? Is it because there’s nothing medical wrong? Centre of life in Newcastle might be best place to start

I've been unsure whether to ask on here, especially with me not having much anonymity anymore, but here goes.

Me and the missus (no) have been trying for another child for over 4 years, alas, to no avail. We've both been for sperm/egg testing, (I thought coming in a cup, in a hospital room, whilst simultaneously looking at pictures and reading a story from 2 Razzles, would've been a tad more tricky) which were both fine. I'm 40 and she's 44, so we've no chance on the NHS. We understand our chances will be diminished due to our ages.

GP would be a good starting point as they could do a private referral for you, plus they can talk through the test results on the Mrs hormone levels. I worked briefly at the unit at James Cook, which does have a good success rate but over 40 you're looking at a 10-20% chance.

A private consultation with a consultant would probably be about £150 and they'd be able to give you a better estimate of the chances, costs involved (maybe 5k), what's involved an what the next steps would be. If you want to go for it, I'd look at it as buying hope as it does keep that dream going.

List of clinics here:

Choose a clinic | Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority

If you are wanting to go private and pay for it then up here Gateshead and Centre for Life are the 2 places you should consider. Both have quite high success rates.

Paying privately is very expensive so be warned

Not guranteed
Mate went through 3 treatments eventually had a boy then had another ine naturally 2 years later
Very best of luck
Is it worth mentioning adoption to you?

Mate spoke to his GP, got referred to the Centre for Life in Newcastle.
Reckoned it was about £8k a shot and his Mrs was put off with the description of the process, she was a bit squeamish i think.

Good luck

Sometimes this (in red above) stops conception. Maybe relax and not be too stressed whether you have another or not, and you may find nature plays it's part.

I feel for you as wanting a child and not conceiving can be a monthly wrench.

Can your fertility clinic/GP/Nurse at least explain why conception isn't happening ? Once you have this information you may know how to proceed.

Google secondary infertility (I'm saying this as it sounds like you have a child already).

Good luck!

All good points. The wife has also said perhaps I’m over thinking/pressuring it, thus, having a negative effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back