Private IVF

Never knew that!
Maybe not officially but it does work. I conceived mine on it before any trials were done , I have pcos and endo so never thought I'd ever be a mam so wasn't particularly careful :rolleyes: lol , but theres lots of info on Google of increased pregnancy rates during trials

Maybe not officially but it does work. I conceived mine on it before any trials were done , I have pcos and endo so never thought I'd ever be a mam so wasn't particularly careful :rolleyes: lol , but theres lots of info on Google of increased pregnancy rates during trials
So I saw! I just thought metformin was to treat diabetes.

Bit like sildenafil being used to treat heart failure and found to
help with erectile dysfunction.

So I saw! I just thought metformin was to treat diabetes.

Bit like sildenafil being used to treat heart failure and found to
help with erectile dysfunction.
I was about 19 when they were just starting to use it to treat pcos so 16/17 years ago. Like u say just something that happened to work, although pcos is related to diabetes and insulin levels so you can see why they gave it a go, although it wasn't as random as your example :lol::lol:

Never knew that!
I believe only used when you've been diagnosed with PCOS (ovarian cysts) we were going to be offered that as a last resort as even 150mg Clomid couldn't stimulate ovulation in these barren ovaries. I had a couple of cysts but scans showed no affect from them so we didn't end up proceeding.

Good luck.
Pisses me off, the amount of folk who have kids and don’t give a fuck about them, when theirs people like you who are desperate to be parents and would give owt to be a mam / dad.

Hope it goes well

OK, here goes. I have 3 adult daughters, from my marriage, I then had a vasectomy. Divorce. Me and the other half (no) wanted to have children and looked at everything. Then thought adoption would be the route to go down. Went through all of the events, meetings, references. We were willing to offer adoption to children from disaster areas, but Devon don't do that. On one of the questionnaires you had to state how much you drank, I stated 2 cans a night during the week and more on a weekend. We were refused, it ended up with someone in my house sitting beside me telling me that, they couldn't put a child in an "environment like that, because of your excessive drinking" then went on to explain that my tonsular cancer was also probably caused by alcohol (these people are good, as it was never mentioned in any of my consultations) f***ing hell!

I was f***ing devastated, I still to this day feel guilty that Linda has never had a child, and its down to my terrible behaviour.

My daughter is currently undergoing ivf at the centre for life. It’s her first nhs funded cycle there, though she had four self-funded iui cycles at Gateshead. She had an five day early blastocyst transfer on Wednesday this week, so we are in the two week wait period. Blood test next Friday to confirm whether or not it has implanted. ( Come on you little bugger, get yourself dug in there!)

There is no significant difference between self funded and nhs treatment. In both cases treatment is aimed at your problem area. Even though my daughter is only 32 she has a low ovarian reserve, which I would imagine will also apply to your partner. This cycle has basically been just chucking as many drugs as possible at her and seeing what results we get. If she had gone the private route we would be looking at £1500 just for the drugs for one cycle. Sperm if needed, can be obtained from a sperm bank for around £850. Donor eggs will cost at least a couple of thousand as you are paying for the donors treatment.

My advice would be to establish if your little swimmers are up to the job, and if your partner has sufficient eggs, of good enough quality left to get at least one blastocyst. My daughter managed to produce ten follicles, eight eggs were retrieved, three of which fertilised normally, three lasted until transfer day and one was returned to her womb. The final two were not good enough to be frozen to be used in the future so were discarded. The odds are not great.

In your situation I suggest that you look at the clinics that offer a package deal of up to three cycles for about £10,000. If you hit the target first time, it will have cost you more than a single cycle, but if you don’t get lucky first time you still have two more attempts. I believe these offers don’t include initial consultations, though you are able to get most of the preliminary tests done by the NHS. See your GP if necessary. You may also need to pay for your drugs for each cycle too. The London Women’s Clinic in Darlington offers the package deal, so that might be a good place to start if you decide to go that route. There’s a price list for nhs treatment on the Newcastle hospitals website.
Found it for you! Newcastle Hospitals - Private service

Here’s the local ccg criteria for nhs funding.

http://www.newcastlegatesheadccg.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/VBCCP-APRIL-2017-4.pdf

Good luck with it all.

See I disagree with that,the nhs will only stick to their approved processes. We went through 5 ivfs and anything the wife suggested to the nhs they knocked back as there was 'no confirmed research and sign off'.

We had 3 failed cycles at centre for life and then started private at a clinic in Darlington, where the doctor listen to suggestions and went with a different approach.

We ended up successful using frozen embryos on the 5th go.

We have friends who had 6 miscarriages and the nhs wouldn't entertain a test that a private clinic in Greece do. Anyway, they did that test, had some treatment and hey Presto, they now have two kids.

I think If you get pregnant under uk guidelines all is we'll but do some research into anything outside that scope and it's rubbished.

We are just about to have our second go.

We have to pay because of a child already being in our possession. The only real complaint I have, is before all the treatment starts, you will have to go to a seminar with loads of people. They discuss exactly what happens etc. You are in that room with NHS patients, and patients who have to pay.

They then started describing meds. If you are NHS, it’s £35. If private, it’s upwards of £700. And she wasn’t lying. I was foaming that they disclosed this in that seminar.

We were told to go with ICSI. This is where they inject a swimmer into the egg, then place it back in. IVF is where they put a swimmer and egg in a dish. All depends on your motility.

We are about to pay £7k again for the second round. It will soon become a talking point of, when do we stop. I know of someone who has paid for 9 goes and are still childless, and financially ruined.

Good luck. You’re going to need it when the Mrs gets put into menopause :lol:

OK, here goes. I have 3 adult daughters, from my marriage, I then had a vasectomy. Divorce. Me and the other half (no) wanted to have children and looked at everything. Then thought adoption would be the route to go down. Went through all of the events, meetings, references. We were willing to offer adoption to children from disaster areas, but Devon don't do that. On one of the questionnaires you had to state how much you drank, I stated 2 cans a night during the week and more on a weekend. We were refused, it ended up with someone in my house sitting beside me telling me that, they couldn't put a child in an "environment like that, because of your excessive drinking" then went on to explain that my tonsular cancer was also probably caused by alcohol (these people are good, as it was never mentioned in any of my consultations) f***ing hell!

I was f***ing devastated, I still to this day feel guilty that Linda has never had a child, and its down to my terrible behaviour.
That’s shit marra.
I’ve had a few close friends who have adopted recently, and though successful in the end they said it was a traumatic experience and one which they wouldn’t recommend.

Loads of kids in homes absolutely crying out for some loving parents to adopt them and to be refused over someone’s own opinion on what is the right level to drink doesn’t make them right.

That’s shit marra.
I’ve had a few close friends who have adopted recently, and though successful in the end they said it was a traumatic experience and one which they wouldn’t recommend.

Loads of kids in homes absolutely crying out for some loving parents to adopt them and to be refused over someone’s own opinion on what is the right level to drink doesn’t make them right.

Its based upon what Doctors think is a healthy limit, I actually told them I could pack in , alternatively I could have lied on the application. Yep its shit, kids needing a home, me and our lass were ready to give it a go.

We are just about to have our second go.

We have to pay because of a child already being in our possession. The only real complaint I have, is before all the treatment starts, you will have to go to a seminar with loads of people. They discuss exactly what happens etc. You are in that room with NHS patients, and patients who have to pay.

They then started describing meds. If you are NHS, it’s £35. If private, it’s upwards of £700. And she wasn’t lying. I was foaming that they disclosed this in that seminar.

We were told to go with ICSI. This is where they inject a swimmer into the egg, then place it back in. IVF is where they put a swimmer and egg in a dish. All depends on your motility.

We are about to pay £7k again for the second round. It will soon become a talking point of, when do we stop. I know of someone who has paid for 9 goes and are still childless, and financially ruined.

Good luck. You’re going to need it when the Mrs gets put into menopause :lol:

Cheers mate. Really hope this second one works out for you’s.

Bad crack that mate. A loving home for a neglected child should be what’s important, not your unitary alcohol consumption. (Obviously unless someone was excessive with it, or had history of problems).

Really appreciate all the advice/stories, so far. I didn’t expect so many.
We’re grateful every day for having our Harry, but hopefully we can give him a brother or sister. Nothing comes close to the joy of being a parent.

Last edited:
Haven’t got much advice to offer. Only that you get a lot less sympathy and help if you already have a child . We were very fortunate in that we remarkably got lucky naturally just before embarking down this route. All the tests came back normal so no real help from NHS (we already had a child - 2 including one from my previous relationship). It’s a stressful time alright and like I say if you already have a family you are much less likely to get help and understanding.

Best of luck to everyone trying ! We also started looking into adoption. It’s something we would have pursued but not to be entered into lightly.

Back