Press comment

I don't see how empathy proves your point.....;)

Without wanting to sound condescending. We all know about sports psychology and how important it is to elite athletes.
My point is that the these players are third division players through a combination of their footballing skills, physicality and mental approach.

What I see on the pitch is a group of players who are quite capable of skill and physicality of tearing the opposition apart but don’t have the mental strength or belief to see it through.

They are not wired to cope with the degree of expectation that comes from playing for a club the size of Sunderland. It’s a weight a burden that gets in the way of their performance.

Problem is that you only need a handful of players to struggle with this and it undermines the whole teams performance... it’s like carrying players with injuries.

It’s not the fans fault.

How do we fix it?

Well the fans give their all to getting behind the team... make the players feel 10 ft tall.

Just as importantly however is the manager has to send these players out believing they can do it. I don’t know Iam guessing but this is the area where a Keane or a BSA would make an overnight difference without changing tactics.

If Ross has not had people employed to work with the players on the mental approach to the game he completely underestimated the demands on his players of playing for this club.

Without wanting to sound condescending. We all know about sports psychology and how important it is to elite athletes.
My point is that the these players are third division players through a combination of their footballing skills, physicality and mental approach.

What I see on the pitch is a group of players who are quite capable of skill and physicality of tearing the opposition apart but don’t have the mental strength or belief to see it through.

They are not wired to cope with the degree of expectation that comes from playing for a club the size of Sunderland. It’s a weight a burden that gets in the way of their performance.

Problem is that you only need a handful of players to struggle with this and it undermines the whole teams performance... it’s like carrying players with injuries.

It’s not the fans fault.

How do we fix it?

Well the fans give their all to getting behind the team... make the players feel 10 ft tall.

Just as importantly however is the manager has to send these players out believing they can do it. I don’t know Iam guessing but this is the area where a Keane or a BSA would make an overnight difference without changing tactics.

If Ross has not had people employed to work with the players on the mental approach to the game he completely underestimated the demands on his players of playing for this club.
Have a like good sir.

Lies. damned lies and statistics...

You can always dress things up if you want. The facts however remain that we are in a joke of a league which we should walk getting out of with the resources we have. We failed last season - yes that's failed, especially when you look at the position we found ourselves in after 39 games, when it was totally in our hands to come top 2 (W1 D3 L3 in the last 7 games). The performances deteriorated last season and that sketchy form has continued into the current season. We will always win games as we have a squad that is way better than other teams in the league, but the fact that we are not doing better week in week out is a total failure of the management team. If fans don't expect better and aren't worried then they should be. It doesn't take much to become a club comfortable in the surrounds of the league it finds itself in. The longer this goes on, the harder an ask the Championship looks. Many on here would rightly be worried about how big a jump up that division is and the financial resources and business acumen required to do well in it. That gap will only grow the longer we fumble our way round the poor league we are in.

It’s not the fans fault.

How do we fix it?

Another load of utter drivel.....It's not lack of belief or pressure from the fans. Other league one squads have fast players, a more energetic attitude and physicality....Hence why we have stuggled against the majority of them! Poor players, manager, tactics, the lot

Another load of utter drivel.....It's not lack of belief or pressure from the fans. Other league one squads have fast players, a more energetic attitude and physicality....Hence why we have stuggled against the majority of them! Poor players, manager, tactics, the lot

😂 like I said you got no empathy

It’s not the fans fault.

How do we fix it?

Psychobabble, oh and quit being condescending ;):)

Back