Press comment

I don't think he's done an excellent job, but I don't think he's done a shite job either. He's just kind of there or thereabouts in terms of job performance.

I'm not sure where he's feeling the criticism from, as far as I can tell the majorittly of the vocal anti Ross stuff is on here. Maybe he's a glutton for punishment and actually reads here.
This is my thinking too, he's done ok bit bad enough to be sacked but not well enough to be getting praised, 6.5/10 from me.

I think the manager will come good - and that he's doing OK as is at the moment. Recruitment definitely needs an upgrade though, agreed....otherwise we would be in trouble if we go up. Big step up, one division....so another clear out of replace would be needed in many positions. But that's the nature of the beast I guess. But if Jack gets us up, then we should keep him. Deserves a shot as much as the next man.
What? when? After we've lost most fans and been in league 1 for 5 seasons? It isn't a learn on the job posting, he should have got us promoted last season by his own target.

I agree however some of the "Sack Ross" brigade constantly use this as a hammer.
Sorry to disagree mate but the way the team is set up, the way the team play, the way the the tactics are employed by the manager have not changed or improved one bit from last season...In fact, I'd go on to say they are still deteriorating.
While bearing in mind that JR took over with a woeful team that had just been relegated he also presided over this club finishing in its lowest position in the Club history. You would have thought, i know I did, that he would have been better prepared this season to last. From what I and many, many others have witnessed, the current team that Ross coach'es during the week and puts out on what ever day they play is worse than last year and people are saying we should be top!...Not a cat in hell's chance of that happening .

We are way over reliant on one or two of our better players producing a moment of magic to win a game. The problem is If players like McGeady or Maguire are out of form we haven't got a plan B.

Well that's his fault, he's had the whole summer to get that plan B.

What? when? After we've lost most fans and been in league 1 for 5 seasons? It isn't a learn on the job posting, he should have got us promoted last season by his own target.
Errmmm...who mentioned 5 seasons in Div 1, I certainly didn't. Putting words into someone else's post!

He might have had a self set ambition to get promoted last season - and good on him for that, and for being honest about his disappointment. But as I understand it, the club target was stability and at least the play offs. and he delivered that.

This season, the target has to be promotion, one way or another. If he keeps hitting the target, then we should keep paying the manager. At whatever point we're good enough to start thinking about targeting a particular style of football, then I'll be as happy as anyone. For now, getting up this season is the goal. And at the moment, I'm reasonably Ok with the progress - yes, more wins, more clean sheets etc would be nice. If we were several points off the playoffs then the question being asked would be more valid. But we're doing OK, and a young and sensible manager bring stability and learning from experience at this early season is fine with me. Plenty examples of that in managerial history.

Who would you prefer, a drop in of someone like big Ron Atkinson?

Errmmm...who mentioned 5 seasons in Div 1, I certainly didn't. Putting words into someone else's post!

He might have had a self set ambition to get promoted last season - and good on him for that, and for being honest about his disappointment. But as I understand it, the club target was stability and at least the play offs. and he delivered that.

This season, the target has to be promotion, one way or another. If he keeps hitting the target, then we should keep paying the manager. At whatever point we're good enough to start thinking about targeting a particular style of football, then I'll be as happy as anyone. For now, getting up this season is the goal. And at the moment, I'm reasonably Ok with the progress - yes, more wins, more clean sheets etc would be nice. If we were several points off the playoffs then the question being asked would be more valid. But we're doing OK, and a young and sensible manager bring stability and learning from experience at this early season is fine with me. Plenty examples of that in managerial history.

Who would you prefer, a drop in of someone like big Ron Atkinson?
I'd prefer to be out of league 1 at the end of last season and Ross wasn't the man to do that and possibly not again this season. That situation is just not good enough. Staying with him will just prolong the shit we are in and could make it worse.

I’ve never blamed the fans for results. But if you don’t think fans and media can create fear and make it harder for players to perform then to quote a certain manager your an ostrich!
As it is Ross did a great job helping refloat a sinking club last year when there was enormous change and the club had to be rebuilt from the bottom up.
That understanding does not extend to this year. He has to get us promoted this year. I want him to be given every chance to do this before any judgement is made. All I see however is a manager and a group of players who are scared to lose...why might that be do you think?
I watched Liverpool live on Saturday and noticed how much they forced the game, lots of flicks and tight triangles to attempt to break down the mags defence. No concern at all about it breaking down and no angst from the crowd when it did.
Sunderland fans have in the past given players wings. In this division it clips them. 30000 people turn up and many don’t want to be there (playing this standard of football). It’s reflected in the atmosphere and the opinions on social media.
I hate the standard and I go through the motions as much as anyone, but I think I also appreciate the limitations of these players and just want to give them every chance to express themselves.

It’s fear that creates that stat, not defensive football

Fear - they do enough not to lose. But Not adventurous enough to risk losing possession. Manifests it self with punts up field when Wyke is on pitch. We have a real problem with the mentality of the players and the expectations of the fans. The 30000 fans sit in pretty much silence and in judgement willing them to do well but in their heads ready to be critical.
We should be less worried about our managers tactics and more worried about his ability to make them feel 10ft tall.
We saw 25 minutes of what they can do last night then the rest of the match was when the demons took over and they were drained of all confidence.

Pure horse-shit.....As example on tuesday, the fans backed the team till full time annd booed after the whistle had been blown, the team, tactics, etc, were shite!

I'd prefer to be out of league 1 at the end of last season and Ross wasn't the man to do that and possibly not again this season. That situation is just not good enough. Staying with him will just prolong the shit we are in and could make it worse.
I understand your point of view. I would have too. But theres a lot more to our recent predicament than the manager, and there are only small gaps between success and failure. Difference btwn our view is that I think the risk of sticking is less than the risk of switching, at this point in time. I genuinely think he'll come good. But I guess well see in the next month or so.

Said months ago that he was no different to Moyes and got chastised for it.
He’s very different to Moyes. The players like him.
I understand your point of view. I would have too. But theres a lot more to our recent predicament than the manager, and there are only small gaps between success and failure. Difference btwn our view is that I think the risk of sticking is less than the risk of switching, at this point in time. I genuinely think he'll come good. But I guess well see in the next month or so.
The manager isn’t responsible for the malaise at youth level. The club has been in a massive decline except for debt. Austerity Sunderland is like austerity UK.
With Wyke, it is. It's as clear as day he won't take a match winning chance if it falls to him, and Jack Ross put him on the pitch.
He has won matches s for us

Last edited:
Control the ball means we will control the game, which will likely result in a bigger win percentage. JR rarely talks about this and keeps banging on about clean sheets.

Ironic when he was a defender in his playing days.

Back