Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Dead’s today, something my program is a bit sparse on, only do them once a week and only 4 sets. With being so tall they’re always something I feel I struggle with. Thought it’d test where I am with them today.

did my programmed lifts, 5x75, 5x90, 5x105, 5x125 then got my belt and straps out for a 1x140, 1x160, 1x180 which I wasn’t happy with so did another 180 but that was even worse so left it there.

Dead’s today, something my program is a bit sparse on, only do them once a week and only 4 sets. With being so tall they’re always something I feel I struggle with. Thought it’d test where I am with them today.

did my programmed lifts, 5x75, 5x90, 5x105, 5x125 then got my belt and straps out for a 1x140, 1x160, 1x180 which I wasn’t happy with so did another 180 but that was even worse so left it there.
I’ve dropped the deadlifts right down recently as I’m attempting to get a bit leaner so dropped a couple of exercises per session and replaced with some HIIT work.

I used to do 3 sets as part of leg day as well as stiff-leg and sumo as part of my “hinge” day. I’ve reduced it down to just once a week on “hinge” day.

I’ve dropped the deadlifts right down recently as I’m attempting to get a bit leaner so dropped a couple of exercises per session and replaced with some HIIT work.

I used to do 3 sets as part of leg day as well as stiff-leg and sumo as part of my “hinge” day. I’ve reduced it down to just once a week on “hinge” day.
Yer I’m trying to drop weight too so in a cal deficit, weights still going up though from newbie gains. Imagine it’ll start to slow soon

Bought some straps to get past my grip weakness. Went to pure on wed to give em a go, didn’t squat on Monday so I was feeling fresh and strong.
warm up, then
2 sets of 60kg x10
1 set of 100kg x10
Put on straps to try, instead of testing at higher weight
1 set of 100kg x5 PISS EASY. Removed straps
2 sets of 130kg x5, felt light as fuck
1 set of 140kg x3 without straps, again flew up
Next set, 140kg x3 again. On the third rep I blew my back out again 😫
Stopped my session immediately, went home and felt f***ing deflated. All day wed and thurs, dosed up with tablets and tried to keep mobile.
Feels slightly better today. Done some bodyweight squats as Friday is usually my back squat day, still feels a bit ginger. Gonna give it at least a month before I attempt any deadlifts, feel very pissed off about it all but as my brother said “YOU’RE NOT 21 ANY MORE YA DICK”

Bought some straps to get past my grip weakness. Went to pure on wed to give em a go, didn’t squat on Monday so I was feeling fresh and strong.
warm up, then
2 sets of 60kg x10
1 set of 100kg x10
Stopped my session immediately, went home and felt f***ing deflated. All day wed and thurs, dosed up with tablets and tried to keep mobile.
Feels slightly better today. Done some bodyweight squats as Friday is usually my back squat day, still feels a bit ginger. Gonna give it at least a month before I attempt any deadlifts, feel very pissed off about it all but as my brother said “YOU’RE NOT 21 ANY MORE YA DICK”
Sorry to hear that mate, wishing you a speedy recovery.

warm up, then
2 sets of 60kg x10
1 set of 100kg x10
Might seem like a dense question from me, but did you have your belt on? I had a few squat and deadlift related back problems years back, invested in a proper pioneer belt. Never looked back since, anything ‘tough’ to lift I get it locked on.

sorry to hear about the injury, but you’ll be back in action soon. Try to keep active without stressing the back if possible - lots of arms days!

Might seem like a dense question from me, but did you have your belt on? I had a few squat and deadlift related back problems years back, invested in a proper pioneer belt. Never looked back since, anything ‘tough’ to lift I get it locked on.

sorry to hear about the injury, but you’ll be back in action soon. Try to keep active without stressing the back if possible - lots of arms days!
I’ve never worn a belt- might have to start now!
My plan is no deads for at least a month, I will continue to train what I can. In all honesty it feels much improved today, I bought Rebuilding Milo by Dr “Squat University” Aaron Horschig and it has lots of good tips for activating muscles in your back

I’ve never worn a belt- might have to start now!
My plan is no deads for at least a month, I will continue to train what I can. In all honesty it feels much improved today, I bought Rebuilding Milo by Dr “Squat University” Aaron Horschig and it has lots of good tips for activating muscles in your back
Romanian deadlifts and barbell good mornings have improved my back no end. I’m fancying buying a reverse hyper for the home gym but can’t decide if it’ll end up barely being used

Still feels very weird knocking out 200kg deadlifts in my bedroom. Home gym is now almost complete, just need a pair of 25kg dumbbells to finish it off.

New safety squat bar arriving tomorrow. Anyone used one of these? My squat strength has gone a bit shit lately so I’ve decided to stop with the leg pressing at the gym and use various squat variations at home instead. Seen these used for various things such as squats, Hatfield squats, lunges, step ups etc

My on/off love affair with weightlifting since covid/WFH is back on again and feels like it has some momentum.

Was in a strict routine of workouts & food when I was an office worker but I have had 18 months of my food/gym/head being all over the place. Had some PT sessions a couple of months ago which helped invigorate me, and I have mixed up some of that into my old sessions and been having a great time.

Food was always the big issue as I cant cook much and I get pretty jumbled up with it all, and my food variety is very limited, but I have started cooking up chicken breast with fajita flavouring powder on top and then eating 2 wraps per day, 1 chicken breast in each, which has been a simple way for me to keep on top of it. Also started having soup for dinner to stop the calories going too high and I am still walking a few miles most days too.

Cleaned my diet up a bit and cut back on the booze strengths going through the roof flat dumbells 50kg 3*8 fastest they've ever moved first time in 12 months I've touched them can feel the breakdowns of my benching now got to say the pinned pressing for the drive has made a massive difference. Sick of getting wrong off people posting on social media about weightlifting :lol: daft weaklings :lol:

Had bloods done today at the gym. Obviously designed for those running gear but I was interested to get an overall view of what’s going on

Cleaned my diet up a bit and cut back on the booze strengths going through the roof flat dumbells 50kg 3*8 fastest they've ever moved first time in 12 months I've touched them can feel the breakdowns of my benching now got to say the pinned pressing for the drive has made a massive difference. Sick of getting wrong off people posting on social media about weightlifting :lol: daft weaklings :lol:
Rarrr

Still feels very weird knocking out 200kg deadlifts in my bedroom. Home gym is now almost complete, just need a pair of 25kg dumbbells to finish it off.

New safety squat bar arriving tomorrow. Anyone used one of these? My squat strength has gone a bit shit lately so I’ve decided to stop with the leg pressing at the gym and use various squat variations at home instead. Seen these used for various things such as squats, Hatfield squats, lunges, step ups etc

Safety bars are great IMO.

Primarily started using one to manage elbow pain but they’re just a great variation in any case.

Make sure you avoid the tendency to pull the handles down toward your chest when using SSB

Back