Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

14 year old lad pulling 183kg very comfortably, terrifying:

14 year old lad pulling 183kg very comfortably, terrifying:

At the beginning of the video I thought that the big lad in black clothing, sporting a sailor beard, must have been much older than 14 ...

I’m just maintaining at the moment, thank you. I don’t think that I’ll ever be as strong as a 14 year old so I’ll aim for a good/lean physique instead!

Are you preparing for more competitions?
Yeah, I'm doing Rotherham in February. Had the last main session of my current block yesterday (accessory day tomorrow) and then prep starts next week. Looking forward to it. I'm moving up a weight category so it's touch and go whether I'll qualify for Brits next year, but I know I'll give the comp my best shot, and that's all I can ever ask of myself.

Yeah, I'm doing Rotherham in February. Had the last main session of my current block yesterday (accessory day tomorrow) and then prep starts next week. Looking forward to it. I'm moving up a weight category so it's touch and go whether I'll qualify for Brits next year, but I know I'll give the comp my best shot, and that's all I can ever ask of myself.
You’re quite light at the moment aren’t you? 65kg iirc.

I would like to have the morphology and knowledge to add more muscle to a slim frame.

Results in, test low (11.3 nmol/L), liver enzymes about 10% over the higher threshold, LDL slightly high too
Did they make any recommendations, your GP would probably have been able to get those tests done for free in future. Might even be worth seeing someone about low test that has massive effect on men's health generally.

Did they make any recommendations, your GP would probably have been able to get those tests done for free in future. Might even be worth seeing someone about low test that has massive effect on men's health generally.
Upping my magnesium and zinc, as well as balancing my cholesterol. B12. Reducing or cut out alcohol.

will get tested again in a couple months and see if i can improve it

I doubt a GP would do a free blood test as comprehensive as what he likely got mind

Dropped BOR’s from my routine, using more machines than ever, mainly a seated row and lat pull down, dropped the weight and holding for a second, really trying to find that mind to muscle connection for my lower trap/lats. Hopefully that shores up my shoulder.

Shite getting old

bench and squats still progressing nicely

Dropped BOR’s from my routine, using more machines than ever, mainly a seated row and lat pull down, dropped the weight and holding for a second, really trying to find that mind to muscle connection for my lower trap/lats. Hopefully that shores up my shoulder.

Shite getting old

bench and squats still progressing nicely
Found that made a massive difference to my bench, the paused reps it got me more focused on engaging my lats as I benched. Watching a few John meadows videos regarding triceps and the way he talks about mind muscle connection really clicked

Found that made a massive difference to my bench, the paused reps it got me more focused on engaging my lats as I benched. Watching a few John meadows videos regarding triceps and the way he talks about mind muscle connection really clicked
Aye I’ve always struggled to “feel” my back, especially mid back and lats. Going to physio now who thinks my shoulder pain is due to a weak lower trap so focusing on trying to strengthen that

Aye I’ve always struggled to “feel” my back, especially mid back and lats. Going to physio now who thinks my shoulder pain is due to a weak lower trap so focusing on trying to strengthen that
Might sound daft but I found not been able to brace the higher part of my back meant I was never fully engaging lats I've found doing upper face pulls, cable cross overs good for this as I pull my shoulders down before bracing as I take bar off I feel engaged instantly.

Might sound daft but I found not been able to brace the higher part of my back meant I was never fully engaging lats I've found doing upper face pulls, cable cross overs good for this as I pull my shoulders down before bracing as I take bar off I feel engaged instantly.
Yer I’m doing that now, sinking my scapulas.

Finally taking the plunge and getting a home gym set up. Primal Strength combi rack and some matting for deadlifts.

Anyone have any recommendations on bars? Not arsed about splurging on a Texas bar or eleiko. Thinking a strength shop bastard one will do just nicely.

Finally taking the plunge and getting a home gym set up. Primal Strength combi rack and some matting for deadlifts.

Anyone have any recommendations on bars? Not arsed about splurging on a Texas bar or eleiko. Thinking a strength shop bastard one will do just nicely.

Go with Rogue or All Out Athletic (AOA) if looking for a solid bar that isn't as much as Texas or Eleiko etc.

Go with Rogue or All Out Athletic (AOA) if looking for a solid bar that isn't as much as Texas or Eleiko etc.

Actually re-thinking the space available and I might now need to get a wall mounted rack and a bench separately which gives a bit more budget for a bar.

So likely to opt for a Texas bar.

Actually re-thinking the space available and I might now need to get a wall mounted rack and a bench separately which gives a bit more budget for a bar.

So likely to opt for a Texas bar.

Brand new Texas power bars are beautiful (and quite painful) to lift with

Back