Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

I could get 2xBW now as a 1 rep max, but want to do it for 8 reps. I like the higher rep range as it really tests your metal.
I think a few years ago I was still doing StrongLifts which is usually 1x5 for deadlifts.

For deadlifts I do a mix of different reps and weights, alter the speed, sometimes use the trap bar, I’ve been trying RDLs recently.

I’m more of a lean person and I lack a ‘strong’ physique, so 8 reps per set is probably more suited to my build. I seem to pick up silly aches and pains if I do 1RMs or even a heavy 3 rep set.

If you’re enjoying it and it works then you’re onto a winner. I’m in my 50s now and I’m still learning plenty about training, it’s interesting how different techniques work for different people.

Last edited:
I think a few years ago I was still doing StrongLifts which is usually 1x5 for deadlifts.

For deadlifts I do a mix of different reps and weights, alter the speed, sometimes use the trap bar, I’ve been trying RDLs recently.

I’m more of a lean person and I lack a ‘strong’ physique, so 8 reps per set is probably more suited to my build. I seem to pick up silly aches and pains if I do 1RMs or even a heavy 3 rep set.

If you’re enjoying it and it works then you’re onto a winner. I’m in my 50s now and I’m still learning plenty about training, it’s interesting how different techniques work for different people.
I'm nearly 40 and haven't ever really concentrated on it, but my coach has me doing lifts for sets of 5 in volume block then 3s for a strength block. Not what I'd ever programme for myself and loving the change. 8 would really test me :lol:

I'm nearly 40 and haven't ever really concentrated on it, but my coach has me doing lifts for sets of 5 in volume block then 3s for a strength block. Not what I'd ever programme for myself and loving the change. 8 would really test me :lol:
I did 3x3 deadlifts today, the weight is about 85% of a 1RM.

For the past few months I’ve been following a conjugate/westside routine so there’s a mix of heavy and ‘dynamic’/volume weights and rep ranges.

I’m a lot more comfortable with a lighter weight and higher reps.

But if I ever find myself at the gym without my plan written on my hand then I do 5x5 on a lift as it covers volume and strength.

Last edited:
What % of your training max is that at please?

Most challenging set I've ever done was squatting 12 reps with a 15 second pause at the bottom on the first rep. I have never been as happy to take a breath on my life!

65, 70 then 75 so just first set last with a regular 531 scheme really, not sure how far I'll get in the third week like, 15 is the minimum.

Hurt my back yesterday morning at the gym, to say I’m gutted is an understatement. Had a run of shocking luck with illness, chest infection, bad cold, sinusitis and currently tonsillitis one after the other for the last 9 weeks and managed to train thru the whole lot somehow, just starting to feel better now this happens.

Hurt my back yesterday morning at the gym, to say I’m gutted is an understatement. Had a run of shocking luck with illness, chest infection, bad cold, sinusitis and currently tonsillitis one after the other for the last 9 weeks and managed to train thru the whole lot somehow, just starting to feel better now this happens.
Your body may be telling you that you need a longer rest/recovery period?

Fuck training through all of that. Have some time off mate. It'll do you the world of good and then your can smack the shit out of it when you're back to full fitness.

Your body may be telling you that you need a longer rest/recovery period?
I train pretty much every other day so not going mental, a days recovery in between should be enough. I could feel tightness in my back so had a sports massage last Sunday, then Wednesday on a non heavy HIIT day it goes pop. Still in agony with it especially in bed trying to turn over. It’s not too bad when I’m up and about.
Fuck training through all of that. Have some time off mate. It'll do you the world of good and then your can smack the shit out of it when you're back to full fitness.
I’m going in weds morning for the Xmas day but that will probably be me until I get back from Tenerife after new year. Hoping that will be enough for full recovery or all the work I’ve done over the last 6 months will be undone.

Last edited:
I train pretty much every other day so not going mental, a days recovery in between should be enough. I could feel tightness in my back so had a sports massage last Sunday, then Wednesday on a non heavy HIIT day it goes pop. Still in agony with it especially in bed trying to turn over. It’s not too bad when I’m up and about.

I’m going in weds morning for the Xmas day but that will probably be me until I get back from Tenerife after new year. Hoping that will be enough for full recovery or all the work I’ve done over the last 6 months will be undone.
Have a think about building in some recovery time into your schedule.

Yes you train on alternate days, but if you’ve been pushing yourself through illness then it’ll do you good to have a week off - I doubt that you’ll lose your gainz.

I read somewhere that even though you have rest days, that it’s a benefit to let all of the soft connective tissue to have a break as it repairs itself differently to muscle.

Aw man, gutted for you. Really really am. Some pain free movement is always better for rehab so find bits and pieces you can do? What part of your back is it?

Sorry to read this mate, wishing you a speedy recovery. Note that my thoughts below are from my personal experience, I am in no way a professional (I really miss Titus for posts like this!):

Fair play to you for training while ill. I am the same, and will always crack on. Do you reduce or change what you're doing though? E.g. if you're not well using lighter weights? If your programming is correct it will be pushing you, and a less well you will be less capable... I'm just coming back after a couple of weeks off after we moved house, so I've dropped the weight a little to compensate. Then this morning I'd finished my working sets and was half way through the back off, but I could feel my hip flexors and lower back were tight, and then my alarm went off for my blood glucose going low, so I wrapped the session in. I didn't want to risk doing myself a mischief that could last weeks for the sake of finishing a session.

My second thought was, do you do any mobility work? My hip flexors and back were tight because a) I'm coming back to it and b) I've been lax with my mobility. When I'm doing well I do agile 8 (
) every day. It's one of those things where it doesn't feel like it provides me with much benefit when I do it, but when I don't do it I can really feel it - if that makes sense?

Have a great Sunday and wishing you a speedy recovery again.

Agree Titus is a big miss!

No I don’t slow down, I’ve been dragged down a bit by it all but not to the point of not going to the work or gym. The sinusitis took me close as the headaches were unreal! The WOD sessions on Wednesdays were tough with the chest infection too but I always felt better for going.

The back injury means I can’t go and it’s already doing my head in, I’ve only missed Friday so far too! Feel bloated as shit and lethargic.

I do t do any mobility stuff but know I should, I follow a few people online who are good but I never seem to get round to doing it. The thing with me is I’ll only do stuff if not doing it is letting someone down, which is why I’m training ina group, there’s much more pressure to turn up and not fuck it off when I’m accountable. Left to my own devices, my self care is terrible, I’m bottom of my list and know I need to change that.

Agree Titus is a big miss!

No I don’t slow down, I’ve been dragged down a bit by it all but not to the point of not going to the work or gym. The sinusitis took me close as the headaches were unreal! The WOD sessions on Wednesdays were tough with the chest infection too but I always felt better for going.

The back injury means I can’t go and it’s already doing my head in, I’ve only missed Friday so far too! Feel bloated as shit and lethargic.

I do t do any mobility stuff but know I should, I follow a few people online who are good but I never seem to get round to doing it. The thing with me is I’ll only do stuff if not doing it is letting someone down, which is why I’m training ina group, there’s much more pressure to turn up and not fuck it off when I’m accountable. Left to my own devices, my self care is terrible, I’m bottom of my list and know I need to change that.

I'm the same, always feel better for having done something... Yeah, not a lot you can do with a bad back, wounder!

I'd set an alarm or something in your phone for mobility, you're letting your group down by not being able to go now ;) If that's what you need to motivate you. Prehab is better than rehab!

I hear what you're saying on you being bottom of the list too, but I read something a few years ago that really struck a chord - 'you can't pour out of an empty cup' - making sure you're firing on all cylinders means you're better for those around you, or does for me in any case...

Really enjoying more bodybuilding style training, not doing any free weights atm. Do a couple warm up sets to engage the muscle at low weight/reps, then usually one working set to failure then one back off set where I up the reps but lower the weight again to failure. Typical working set is 8-10, 10-12 or sometimes 12-15 reps. Back off sets can be 15-20 reps. I’m used to 5x5 or even less so it’s a complete change for me.

Only two weeks in but it’s so much easier in your joints, replaced squats with v-squats, pendulum squats, leg press and squat press machines and have no pain in my knees anymore

Evening all.

Been looking at starting to lift weights. I’ve only ever been to classes which have ‘stations’ where it’s a mix of free weights and often cardio. I’m also a runner so that’s my main go to with fitness.

Tbh, the weights section of the gym terrifies me. I genuinely have no idea where to start. On the classes I previously did I never felt I was learning anything and it was mainly being encouraged to lift as heavy and as much as possible.

Any one got any suggestions? I have a council run gym near me which has a decent weights area but wouldn’t know where to start with it.

Back