Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Deadlifts this morning something clicked, felt no pain but total loss of strength and dropped the weight, waited 10 minutes warmed up again and finished my set, I think it was just a ligament snapping accross my hip or something as no pain hours later, either that or I'm going to wake up tomorrow and need surgery for something

Deadlifts this morning something clicked, felt no pain but total loss of strength and dropped the weight, waited 10 minutes warmed up again and finished my set, I think it was just a ligament snapping accross my hip or something as no pain hours later, either that or I'm going to wake up tomorrow and need surgery for something

Take it easy mate as usually these things take time for the inflammation etc. to come out. I felt my knee go sparring yesterday, took a moment then carried on, daft really as based on experience I knew it wouldn't have been good.

Went for a walk yesterday afternoon afterwards and woke up during the night and could hardly move my knee. Hoping nothing serious but the pain is on the inside of my knee which I think is MCL. Just been icing and taking painkillers. It's horrible knowing you could be out for a period of time, hoping it's a quick recovery.

Take it easy mate as usually these things take time for the inflammation etc. to come out. I felt my knee go sparring yesterday, took a moment then carried on, daft really as based on experience I knew it wouldn't have been good.

Went for a walk yesterday afternoon afterwards and woke up during the night and could hardly move my knee. Hoping nothing serious but the pain is on the inside of my knee which I think is MCL. Just been icing and taking painkillers. It's horrible knowing you could be out for a period of time, hoping it's a quick recovery.
Totally agree. I felt a tingle go right up my coccyx after adjusting a weight and standing back up straight. Thought nothing of if. About a few hours later complete agony was on the codeine and naproxen for a few days.

I would rest @Lewberry pie

Anyone ever had any trouble with tensing in your sleep specifically after heavy pressing sessions? Developing this weird thing where im pushing my head up against the headboard to the point of pain and it wakes is up. Started with grinding teeth. Absolutely wiped me out today!

Anyone ever had any trouble with tensing in your sleep specifically after heavy pressing sessions? Developing this weird thing where im pushing my head up against the headboard to the point of pain and it wakes is up. Started with grinding teeth. Absolutely wiped me out today!
I grit my teeth at night, drives me crazy, but it’s a stress related thing rather than from training.

Finally finished my current plan. Retested my max’s. 4 plate squat continues to escape me, it moved up 2/3 inches then had to bail, think it’s a confidence thing tbh. Hit 170 though

Really enjoying my training at the minute after a load of setback. Went from training. Once a week to 3, now training 5 times a week at 6am and totally changed my mindset. Not back up to the PB levels in my main lifts yet but not trying to, just taking it slowly and building up a little bit each week. Feel stronger and more mobile than I have in a long time.

Finally finished my current plan. Retested my max’s. 4 plate squat continues to escape me, it moved up 2/3 inches then had to bail, think it’s a confidence thing tbh. Hit 170 though
put 3 plates and 2 tens on instead, obviously the same weight but it looks lighter

Were you at Gym Unique last night with boxing gloves on?

I don't frequent the SMB like I used to, but I need to know if you were the big fucker looking over at me, or if I'm likely to have problems when I next go in :lol:
No mate, I’m currently sunning myself in mallorca

Really enjoying my training at the minute after a load of setback. Went from training. Once a week to 3, now training 5 times a week at 6am and totally changed my mindset. Not back up to the PB levels in my main lifts yet but not trying to, just taking it slowly and building up a little bit each week. Feel stronger and more mobile than I have in a long time.

You at Black Sheep?

I've got no ACL in my left knee since Feb 2021 and been back at the gym about 2 months now after about 10 years off, trying to gain strength as I don't think I'll get it operated on.
I'm pushing 100kgs on the leg press and doing 4 x12, it's hard but I get through it.
I see a load of people dead lifting/barbells squats etc and read up about how it's supposed to be better for building muscle etc as you need more control and the whole body is worked.

Is anyone else in the same boat injury wise? just wondering if it's worth changing and trying this or carrying on as is.

What sort of reps/sets do yous normally do for deadlifts?

Hurt my back doing them a few months ago. Dropped the weight right down to 60kg to work on form, worked back up to 75kg doing 3x8 and the last f***ing rep I must’ve rounded my back on the descent and it’s gone again.

Am gutted as was just getting into it. Got some ice on it now looking at belts. Will feel daft wearing one as I’m not massive or lifting massive weights but I can’t be arsed pulling my back again.

Last edited:
What sort of reps/sets do yous normally do for deadlifts?

Hurt my back doing them a few months ago. Dropped the weight right down to 60kg to work on form, worked back up to 75kg doing 3x8 and the last f***ing rep I must’ve rounded my back on the descent and it’s gone again.

Am gutted as was just getting into it. Got some ice on it now looking at belts. Will feel daft wearing one as I’m not massive or lifting massive weights but I can’t be arsed pulling my back again.
Without being pedantic, Deadlifts shouldn't hurt your back so your technique is obviously not quite right.

I do 5x5 after two sets of 8-10 warming up.

Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs here, but go backwards to go forwards. Stick around 160- 170 for a good few weeks, get lots of reps and lots of volume and get very good technique, set after set.
Then try again
But you already know this

Back