Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Without being pedantic, Deadlifts shouldn't hurt your back so your technique is obviously not quite right.

I do 5x5 after two sets of 8-10 warming up.

Think I was focusing too much on keeping my core tight and actually rounding/over flexing my lumbar spine from squeezing my abs too much. Now concentrating on keeping a totally neutral spine and no issues. Class.

As an absolute weight lifting beginner is this any good?
I can’t get to a gym and don’t feel experienced enough for a full on home squat rack style set up. Want to see if I will stick to it. Aims are to improve physique (don’t really have one atm, I’m 5 9 and 78kg. Also want to help my mental state). Thanks

As an absolute weight lifting beginner is this any good?
I can’t get to a gym and don’t feel experienced enough for a full on home squat rack style set up. Want to see if I will stick to it. Aims are to improve physique (don’t really have one atm, I’m 5 9 and 78kg. Also want to help my mental state). Thanks
Can I ask reason why you can’t get to gym? I would recommend going to a PT either on your own or as part of a group, best way to learn how to use stuff properly and avoid injury imo, there’s so much you can get wrong with form or technique when you dont know.

Says deleted member.
Back up to 130 today on deadlift, but only for 7 reps before my grip gave way and form went to shit. Back down to consolidate at 125 before going again.
Get yourself some straps for them sets where your grip is failing but you still have more on the tank

Says deleted member.
Back up to 130 today on deadlift, but only for 7 reps before my grip gave way and form went to shit. Back down to consolidate at 125 before going again.
Loaded carries/ farmers walks. Will give you vice- like grip
Do 3-4 sets, just grab some dumbbells and walk with them for 1-2 minutes. I’m up to 2x 25kg for 90 secs, the forearm pump you get is unreal

Loaded carries/ farmers walks. Will give you vice- like grip
Do 3-4 sets, just grab some dumbbells and walk with them for 1-2 minutes. I’m up to 2x 25kg for 90 secs, the forearm pump you get is unreal
Used bear grips yesterday and did 130kg for 8 reps no problem! Could have gone heavier but was out of time. Pretty chuffed with that, it’s taken me almost a year to get back to that sort of weight as had to take it slow after some injuries, but finally feeling stronger than I ever have.

Used bear grips yesterday and did 130kg for 8 reps no problem! Could have gone heavier but was out of time. Pretty chuffed with that, it’s taken me almost a year to get back to that sort of weight as had to take it slow after some injuries, but finally feeling stronger than I ever have.
Injuries are the scourge of older lifters, I know they are for me! Back/ knee/ shoulder, either individually or combinations
Middle age sucks arse

Injuries are the scourge of older lifters, I know they are for me! Back/ knee/ shoulder, either individually or combinations
Middle age sucks arse
To be fair my injuries are mostly sustained by my inability to act middle aged.
Squat and chest press pb’s today, loads left in the tank on squat as well, chuffed with that. Last squat pb was in October last year!

Last edited:
I know it's a strange thing to whinge about but I've put on some decent size round my chest, shoulders and arms, to the point loads of my clothes are too tight now. At a ball on saturday and tried on my dinner suit, trousers still fit but the jacket is like being in a straight jacket! Was the largest size they do too so can't go up.

Switched up my push and pull routines this week the freshen things up, shoulders are aching today so must be hitting some different muscle groups. Really enjoying seeing the progress I’m making at the minute, just taking it slow and listening to good advice.

I know it's a strange thing to whinge about but I've put on some decent size round my chest, shoulders and arms, to the point loads of my clothes are too tight now. At a ball on saturday and tried on my dinner suit, trousers still fit but the jacket is like being in a straight jacket! Was the largest size they do too so can't go up.
I got a 50 inch jacket from Hugo boss it looks like a back to school job :lol: can't move in it but if I stand still and breathe in loads I look class! It's that tight I can't even take a selfie :lol:

I got a 50 inch jacket from Hugo boss it looks like a back to school job :lol: can't move in it but if I stand still and breathe in loads I look class! It's that tight I can't even take a selfie :lol:
Annoying isn’t it? On top of that I’m tall so need long sleeves.

Back