Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Could anyone please offer some advice regarding number of reps/tempo/time under tension for hypertrophy.

I watched an athlean-x video on YouTube and Jeff Cavaliere reckons that for hypertrophy you need each set to last 45-60 seconds. His point was that the number of reps doesn’t matter, it’s the effort that you put in.

Therefore for e.g. bench press should the tempo be something like:

Eccentric (lower) = 3 seconds
Pause on chest = 1 second
Concentric (raise from chest) = 1 second
Pause at top = 1 second

This would equal 6s approx, therefore 10 reps in a set.

Does this make any sense?????
Edit: I found this from 2000.

Hypertrophy: (60-75% of your 1RM)

Eccentric: Slow 3-8 seconds (to keep tension high throughout the set)

Pause in the stretched: 0-1 second (longer pause for pulling movements)

Concentric: Slow if the weight is near 75%: 3-5 seconds, faster if the weight is between 60-70%: 1-2 seconds

Pause in the contracted: Pause just short of lockout where it increases muscle tension: 1-4 seconds
To keep it simple;
Concentric 1 second out (power/speed)
Eccentric 3 seconds back
Repeat until failure rep is between 8 -12 - i.e. if you rep out over 12 increase weight, if you fail under 8 reduce weight
Do one set to failure and rotate around different muscle groups eg upper body, core and legs and never work consecutive groups.
Work through 12- 14 different sets, this will take approx 20 minutes and repeat in whole 40 mins (quick and easy to do).
Each week weight lifted should increase and hypertrophy occur.

I did this for 6 weeks, 3 times per week and gained 13 Kg of muscle mass.
To keep it simple;
Eccentric 3 seconds back
Repeat until failure rep is between 8 -12 - i.e. if you rep out over 12 increase weight, if you fail under 8 reduce weight
Do one set to failure and rotate around different muscle groups eg upper body, core and legs and never work consecutive groups.
Work through 12- 14 different sets, this will take approx 20 minutes and repeat in whole 40 mins (quick and easy to do).

Edit: Easier to do this mainly on machines, unless you have a spotter, as this would be dangerous to fail with most free weights exercises.

and there are more leg groups on machines.

Last edited:
To keep it simple;
Eccentric 3 seconds back

Edit: Easier to do this mainly on machines, unless you have a spotter, as this would be dangerous to fail with most free weights exercises.

and there are more leg groups on machines.
Thank you for the advice.

I’ll try out some of the ideas when I’ve finished my current training plan.

How seriously d'you have to take the weight rating of a bar?

Nibbling at a few 150kg+ deadlifts which is over the limit apparently but doesn't seem to be giving way.

Be squats that worry me more when I get up to that.

Just the results, I haven’t seen the controversy
To summarise, as objectively as I can, on the eve of World's Mark Boyd (WUS) released a secret recording of Luke Stoltman saying that Giants Live had agreed to promote the Stoltman brand, give them favourable groups and friendly events in exchange for essentially exclusivity to Giants Live. Just like they had done previously for Eddie... All stinks a bit. I don't think anyone's in the right unfortunately.

To summarise, as objectively as I can, on the eve of World's Mark Boyd (WUS) released a secret recording of Luke Stoltman saying that Giants Live had agreed to promote the Stoltman brand, give them favourable groups and friendly events in exchange for essentially exclusivity to Giants Live. Just like they had done previously for Eddie... All stinks a bit. I don't think anyone's in the right unfortunately.
That's how it's always worked, Thor was never in the clique and he probably did suffer as a result, having said that strongman is not a wealthy sport and you do have to play the game sometimes.

It's also very possible Luke just couldn't be arsed to say he didn't want to do WUS.

Back