Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Right now I am having to gym in the evenings on week days until I can get access to a local gym and go at lunchtimes. Last night was the first time and I left it late enough until it was quiet so I could use what I wanted. It did though mean that I was working out at 9:30 last night and won't have any protein after that workout until lunchtime the next day. Not idea

Any other late night gym goers do this? any suggestions?

Right now I am having to gym in the evenings on week days until I can get access to a local gym and go at lunchtimes. Last night was the first time and I left it late enough until it was quiet so I could use what I wanted. It did though mean that I was working out at 9:30 last night and won't have any protein after that workout until lunchtime the next day. Not idea

Any other late night gym goers do this? any suggestions?
Can't you just have a protein shake after?

is that a decent enough amount of protein for post workout considering I won't have any other for around 16 hours after? I do usually have a shake but then would have a chicken meal a couple of hours later
You should eat your biggest meal or at least have a shake ideally within at least an hour of finishing training. You’ve got to get the protein and carbs in before that anabolic window shuts.
Remember lads, if just starting back you will be fairly de trained so adjust programs accordingly. Use it as a time to make some form adjustments and have a humble re build while numbers are far from your best, rather than trying to throw a huge amount of volume at yourself to catch up to where you were.

Get those sets in, keep the intensity moderate and focus on good movement patterns! Don't engrain bad form trying to train at numbers you aren't capable of moving without the desired form. Nobody who is returning now should be doing anything near maximal loads, your connective tissue will not like it.

Assess your lockdown situation and consider how it may have effected mobility and certain muscles ability to fire properly. Really make sure everything is firing as properly and take a slow rebuild approach, otherwise you will end up getting hurt and having a longer term set back later in the year.

Lets see some good week by week post covid gains people :cool:
Doing squats on Saturday morning was certainly a humbling experience, I was stiff as a board and weak as a kitten.

Weirdly, today though, my body just seemed to click back into gear and I felt like I was rolling back the years. So it definitely seems to take at least a few days to get back in the swing of things!

Last edited:
is that a decent enough amount of protein for post workout considering I won't have any other for around 16 hours after? I do usually have a shake but then would have a chicken meal a couple of hours later
I wouldn't worry about it too much tbh. Unless you are an elite athlete the timing of macros isn't going to make that much difference. You could have a protein shake and a snack if you want, beef jerky, nuts, egg, yoghurt as long as it doesn't impact your sleep.

Its insignificant relative to overall intake over the course of the day.

I'd go as far as to say that its more important to eat the right things when its convenient to you than it is to force yourself to eat certain things at certain times.

If you need to train that late then I guess you're eating your dinner an hour or two before? You're still digesting that when you train anyway so its not a massive issue.

You should eat your biggest meal or at least have a shake ideally within at least an hour of finishing training. You’ve got to get the protein and carbs in before that anabolic window shuts.

Doing squats on Saturday morning was certainly a humbling experience, I was stiff as a board and weak as a kitten.

Weirdly, today though, my body just seemed to click back into gear and I felt like I was rolling back the years. So it definitely seems to take at least a few days to get back in the swing of things!
I thought that was a massive myth?

Planning a 260 X 5 low sumo block pull in the next 6/8 weeks. Will report back!

Mobility, prehab and some corrective stuff all getting hammered daily too. Getting everything firing properly.

However still really need to get my scaps moving more independently from the t spine. Mobility for low bar still needs major improvements as it makes it difficult to brace, rapes my bicep tendon and just makes for a shittier more painful training experience and s higher risk of a lower back issue.

How's everyone doing since gyms reopened, I'm still getting a lot from a west side conjugate style, I think if anything I'll just add more variety to it because I've never trained for such an extended period of time feeling fitter or being injury free since I first started at the gym.

I've started running as well which is absolutely killing me but I ran a mile in 11 minutes recently which sound shit but is pretty good for me.

How's everyone doing since gyms reopened, I'm still getting a lot from a west side conjugate style, I think if anything I'll just add more variety to it because I've never trained for such an extended period of time feeling fitter or being injury free since I first started at the gym.

I've started running as well which is absolutely killing me but I ran a mile in 11 minutes recently which sound shit but is pretty good for me.

Only done 2 sessions per week in my first two weeks back.

Will now just revert back to the RTS style programme which has worked better than anything else for me.

Running on off days. Aiming to get down to a 22 minute 5k time. Hovering in mid 23s in my last few attempts.

Thor retires from strongman

Going to like your post but don't really like it. I'm gutted. I think he could have been the greatest of all time. Understand why he's doing it though. Will be interesting to see what he does after the boxing - I can see him annihilating the powerlifting all time record at some point.

Watched him in Iceland's strongest man this weekend and it was like a man against boys.

Going to like your post but don't really like it. I'm gutted. I think he could have been the greatest of all time. Understand why he's doing it though. Will be interesting to see what he does after the boxing - I can see him annihilating the powerlifting all time record at some point.

Watched him in Iceland's strongest man this weekend and it was like a man against boys.

I expect it'll be to pursue something more lucrative than powerlifting.

Will now just revert back to the RTS style programme which has worked better than anything else for me.

Running on off days. Aiming to get down to a 22 minute 5k time. Hovering in mid 23s in my last few attempts.

Failed 95kg bench twice this week. Going to have to do something different to nail my aim of hitting 100kg this year so going to let my weight increase a bit. I've been trying to lose weight to hit what I'd be at competition but hitting that 100kg bench is more important to me at the moment. I'm past the stage where I can lose weight and get stronger I think. Looking forward to an extra bowl of nuts or a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter a day!

260 x 5 sumo deads off blocks yesterday. Wasn't expecting it to be easy, but '240' was actually 250, as I'd forgot that the first plates were 25s. Just added the extra 10kg and went for it

Thor retires from strongman
Not surprised at all, he wasn't very well liked by organisers and alienated himself a bit, probably for a the best anyway, a man of his height and weight always gonna have heart problems in later life.
260 x 5 sumo deads off blocks yesterday. Wasn't expecting it to be easy, but '240' was actually 250, as I'd forgot that the first plates were 25s. Just added the extra 10kg and went for it
You going full sumo wanker these days like?

Running wanker, I ran mile in under 11 minutes up a gradient today, it's improving rather than affecting my strength, I can do a session on the weights and I feel much fresher now, body composition is slightly better but I'm still too heavy for my under 90kg weight class.

Last edited:

Back