Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Its insignificant relative to overall intake over the course of the day.

I'd go as far as to say that its more important to eat the right things when its convenient to you than it is to force yourself to eat certain things at certain times.

If you need to train that late then I guess you're eating your dinner an hour or two before? You're still digesting that when you train anyway so its not a massive issue.
I was reading Tim Ferriss’ 4 Hour Body last night and he talks about an “experiment” he did, messing around with a glucometer. He mentions having a protein shake and not seeing any spike until around 90 minutes after drinking it. So I presume if there was any real benefit, it’d be better to have a protein shake before training, rather than after?

I’m not big on them anyway, I try to get as much of my protein and as many of my calories from real food as I possibly can. The drink a protein shake straight after training thing always strikes me as being a bit of primal hunter/gatherer bro-science, “I kill and carry heavy sabre tooth tiger across the plains of Pure Gym, now must have protein fresh from the kill bro.”

I only started doing strength training at the beginning of this year with 15kg dumbbells and started feeling comfortable with them, so I bought a 45kg fixed straight barbell in May. When I first got it I couldn't even do a single arm curl with it.

Now I can do a set of 10 arm curl reps with the 45kg barbell and I also do sets of 10 reps of rows with it as well.

I was reading Tim Ferriss’ 4 Hour Body last night and he talks about an “experiment” he did, messing around with a glucometer. He mentions having a protein shake and not seeing any spike until around 90 minutes after drinking it. So I presume if there was any real benefit, it’d be better to have a protein shake before training, rather than after?

I’m not big on them anyway, I try to get as much of my protein and as many of my calories from real food as I possibly can. The drink a protein shake straight after training thing always strikes me as being a bit of primal hunter/gatherer bro-science, “I kill and carry heavy sabre tooth tiger across the plains of Pure Gym, now must have protein fresh from the kill bro.”

I've been saying this for some time now. The amino acids in the blood prior to training are going to be great for the soft tissue that gets less bloodflow.

I've been saying this for some time now. The amino acids in the blood prior to training are going to be great for the soft tissue that gets less bloodflow.
I do think there’s something in this mind. I’ve noticed during workouts in the past when I’ve had a BCAA drink before or on occasion during a longer training session, that there’s often been a discernible increase in performance and it’s not purely a psychological thing either.

I do think there’s something in this mind. I’ve noticed during workouts in the past when I’ve had a BCAA drink before or on occasion during a longer training session, that there’s often been a discernible increase in performance and it’s not purely a psychological thing either.
I tried it a few years ago after reading the website below, but it didn’t noticeably improve my performance.

I tried it a few years ago after reading the website below, but it didn’t noticeably improve my performance.

I’ve never actually done fasted cardio. It might be a psychological thing but personally I can’t train on an empty stomach. I’ve had BCAA’s before and on occasion during workouts, and I’ve always felt strong. Again, how much of that is psychological is difficult to say.

I’ve never actually done fasted cardio. It might be a psychological thing but personally I can’t train on an empty stomach. I’ve had BCAA’s before and on occasion during workouts, and I’ve always felt strong. Again, how much of that is psychological is difficult to say.

Odd that, as I'm the exact opposite. I train first thing and the thought of eating anything beforehand makes me feel sick.

"Europe's" Strongest Man (aka Britain's 2) this weekend. They've only got the availability they have to work with given the current situation and Kieliszkowski being injured but it's a stretch to call it a European line up. Still, gives an opportunity for a few of the British lads. Unfortunately neither Stoltman is competing (Tom focusing on the stone WR and Luke injured). In any event, good to see the competitions up and running again. If he can learn from the mistakes he made at Brits I'm fancying Luke Richardson for the win, and think Bishop may push him for it.

I train early in the morning and I've tried eating food before but it makes me feel sick so I train almost exclusively in a faster state and I can confirm it's never helped me lose weight, I have got used to it now though so when I go to comps my body feels much more alert for the initial lifts when others are just coming round for the deadlifts later in the day.
Odd that, as I'm the exact opposite. I train first thing and the thought of eating anything beforehand makes me feel sick.

"Europe's" Strongest Man (aka Britain's 2) this weekend. They've only got the availability they have to work with given the current situation and Kieliszkowski being injured but it's a stretch to call it a European line up. Still, gives an opportunity for a few of the British lads. Unfortunately neither Stoltman is competing (Tom focusing on the stone WR and Luke injured). In any event, good to see the competitions up and running again. If he can learn from the mistakes he made at Brits I'm fancying Luke Richardson for the win, and think Bishop may push him for it.
Luke's only made the transition to strong man recently and he's already one of the best in the country. Him and th stoltmans are gonna have some class comps in the next few years.

Last edited:
I train early in the morning and I've tried eating food before but it makes me feel sick so I train almost exclusively in a faster state and I can confirm it's never helped me lose weight, I have got used to it now though so when I go to comps my body feels much more alert for the initial lifts when others are just coming round for the deadlifts later in the day.

Luke's only made the transition to strong man recently and he's already one of the best in the country. Him and th stoltmans are gonna have some class comps in the next few years.

Have you seen Luke's interview with Loz (on Liz's YouTube)? Comes across incredibly well and has the... obsession, to be the very best.

Licis is meant to be out of this year's World's too - only seen it on a comment on Insta but meant to have had a car crash or something. Looks like it's Kieliszkowski's for the taking now then!

Contains spoilers:

Luke Richardson wins Europe's Strongest Man 2020.

Bishop second. Ervin Toots third.

Fantastic achievement by Richardson. People complaining about the field but you can only beat what you're up against (including the last two Britain's Strongest Man winners - albeit Hicksy hasn't competed for ages).

Contains spoilers:

Luke Richardson wins Europe's Strongest Man 2020.

Bishop second. Ervin Toots third.

Fantastic achievement by Richardson. People complaining about the field but you can only beat what you're up against (including the last two Britain's Strongest Man winners - albeit Hicksy hasn't competed for ages).
It was a weak field there's no getting away from that but every sporting event is not at it's best at the minute, nice achievement by Luke though, world's will be the most competitive it's been for years, absolutely anyone can win it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for ab workouts I can stick on top of the 5x5 programme?

Currently halfway through a 90 day abs thingy but it's just increasing volume of situps, planks etc to an increasingly ridiculous volume.

It's kinda worked like, much stronger core and can see them poking through (with the right lighting...) but is there a better way to build them?

Does anyone have any recommendations for ab workouts I can stick on top of the 5x5 programme?

Currently halfway through a 90 day abs thingy but it's just increasing volume of situps, planks etc to an increasingly ridiculous volume.

It's kinda worked like, much stronger core and can see them poking through (with the right lighting...) but is there a better way to build them?
Lose fat
Simple

You should be engaging your core for deadlifts, squats, OHP, pull-ups etc. so they will be getting a workout. Planks work for me.

But the reply by @maygo is your answer.

I do crunches and some stuff with the cables. I don’t go overboard. There’s no need. You’re only bringing two points together. If you’re doing compound lifts your core will be getting a good workout, anyway.

Visible abs really come down to diet.
You should be engaging your core for deadlifts, squats, OHP, pull-ups etc. so they will be getting a workout. Planks work for me.

But the reply by @maygo is your answer.
Overhead pressing is ridiculously underrated for core activation.

Last edited:

Back