Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Gym is closing down :cry:

Something to do with the previous owner not having permission from the council to repurpose the industrial unit it’s in to a gym. Current owners have fought it for about a year but a final decision has been made.

Need to find somewhere new. Annoying as it was really conveniently located.

Gym is closing down :cry:

Something to do with the previous owner not having permission from the council to repurpose the industrial unit it’s in to a gym. Current owners have fought it for about a year but a final decision has been made.

Need to find somewhere new. Annoying as it was really conveniently located.
I can sympathise as the local gym that I attended was closed for a while and I got into a different routine so I didn’t bother returning when it reopened under new management.

I am lucky in that I can train at the gym at work, and I’m focusing on running so I have a lot of flexibility around when I can get out.

Could it be an opportunity to try something different for a while?

I can sympathise as the local gym that I attended was closed for a while and I got into a different routine so I didn’t bother returning when it reopened under new management.

I am lucky in that I can train at the gym at work, and I’m focusing on running so I have a lot of flexibility around when I can get out.

Could it be an opportunity to try something different for a while?

I might take up knitting instead aye.

Started wearing a belt for deadlifts last couple of sessions. I hadn't in the past as I couldn't get comfortable but it's helped me break through a plateau - previous best was 112.5kg for 5 (got 115kg for 4), last two deadlift sessions have done 115kg for 5 and 117.5kg for five. The 160kg single feels within reach now, especially as I get more used to using the belt.

Thought I'd have a last 1rm test before holiday Saturday and the start of the six week bench programme when I get back. Skipped squat as I was more than satisfied with 145kg for the minute. Nailed the 75kg bench (+4kg) - happy with that as it's what I'd assumed for the bench programme. Also pulled 150kg. Worried that may suffer a bit on the bench programme but feels like my 160kg target for the end of the current calendar year is more than achievable. Achieved these at 66kg body mass. Six week bench programme and then on to MadCow 5x5 when I get back I think. And hopefully hit the body mass I want to by the end of March and then on to eating at at least maintenance level - can't wait!

I've been on nights for five weeks what a massive effect it's had on my lifting :lol: finding myself just training well within myself as training partner not interested in 6 am starts! Thinking this might be the time to push my cardio but it's hard work on a morning

I've been on nights for five weeks what a massive effect it's had on my lifting :lol: finding myself just training well within myself as training partner not interested in 6 am starts! Thinking this might be the time to push my cardio but it's hard work on a morning

I guess working nights impacts pretty much everything? Sleep, eating patterns etc.? Don't envy you mate!

I guess working nights impacts pretty much everything? Sleep, eating patterns etc.? Don't envy you mate!
I'm just training within myself now, worst thing is I had a few weeks off at Xmas and hit some pb being nice and fresh 140kg bench for four 3x10 50kg dumbbells. It's just so f***ing frustrating! Struggling to even get my protein down on morning

Nights is horrible, I do one week of nights a month and it fucks everything up- the sleep deficit you owe must be repaid
I'm going first thing after work getting home and sleeping till 3ish about 7 hours was having 9 on day shifts weekend comes I can't be arsed , training five days but intensity and weights dropped

Last edited:
First time in ages I’ve been completely pain free (mentioned on here but my elbow and hips have been giving me problems for about 6 months).

Coincided with joining a new, better gym and everything is going a lot better.

Using Mike Tuscherer’s generalised intermediate programme of aiming to build fatigue through hitting sets at a certain RPE, then load dropping sets until you hit the same RPE for the same number of reps at a lighter weight.

My gyms went a bit hit and miss meant to open at 6 am but missed on average one session a week over last eight weeks due to it not been open. Bloody frustrating after Nightshift and forcing your protein down for it totbw wasted!:eek:n looking at alternatives around Stanley, Chester le street, Durham area.

My gyms went a bit hit and miss meant to open at 6 am but missed on average one session a week over last eight weeks due to it not been open. Bloody frustrating after Nightshift and forcing your protein down for it totbw wasted!:eek:n looking at alternatives around Stanley, Chester le street, Durham area.

People have recommended Spartan performance in Consett. Not sure if that’s too far though?

Could you ask the owner if you would be allowed to open up the gym for them?

When adding your weights do you count the bar? What does an Olympic bat weigh? I only calculate my plates, I could be breaking records without knowing it (I’m not)

Back