Port

• Thread starter Deleted member 30053
  • Start date

One of those drinks that I really enjoy, but rarely buy.
Never decanted a bottle of it mind.
Lots of “theatre” in a good vintage bottle mate. Need to stand it for up to an hour so the sediment sinks to the bottom. You then need to get out a potentially really old cork. Then theres the pour - making sure you leave the sediment in the bottle etc (or use a port funnel). Then it needs decanting and aerated for up to a couple of hours depending on age. Some great ports won’t have felt air for 50 years or even more. Then finally the drinking - I can normally polish it off in one night. Worth every penny a good vintage like.

Lots of “theatre” in a good vintage bottle mate. Need to stand it for up to an hour so the sediment sinks to the bottom. You then need to get out a potentially really old cork. Then theres the pour - making sure you leave the sediment in the bottle etc (or use a port funnel). Then it needs decanting and aerated for up to a couple of hours depending on age. Some great ports won’t have felt air for 50 years or even more. Then finally the drinking - I can normally polish it off in one night. Worth every penny a good vintage like.
I'm always up for trying a new drink / way to drink. Recommend anything to get started with?

I'm always up for trying a new drink / way to drink. Recommend anything to get started with?
Probably try a late bottled vintage first which you can just open with a screw top. That will just confirm you like port.

Then after that most supermarkets have their own vintage port or stuff like Graham’s Quinta dos Malvedos Vintage Port in stock. They tend to not be from the best years or properly aged so the price reflects that (£20ish). All vintage is corked.

Once you’ve established it’s worth paying for vintage then you are on to picking years and producers. The best “modern” ready for drinking ports are from 1994 or 2000. Gets pricey though.

To be fully mature you need a bottle at least 20 years old. And a lot more in some cases.

Only have it on New Year but I can plough through two bottles with ease. Dangerously drinkable stuff.
I’ve only managed two full bottles of it once and I was absolutely hammered. I’d had a few pints before as well. Was mistakenly thinking I could drink it like wine then it got me. 😂

Back