Port

• Thread starter Deleted member 30053
  • Start date
I’ve only managed two full bottles of it once and I was absolutely hammered. I’d had a few pints before as well. Was mistakenly thinking I could drink it like wine then it got me. 😂
Oh God aye. I usually end up on the vodka afterwards. Last time I woke up in the shed at 6am cradling a half empty bottle of vodka with numerous texts on my phone telling me to shut the fuck up and stop singing.

Oh God aye. I usually end up on the vodka afterwards. Last time I woke up in the shed at 6am cradling a half empty bottle of vodka with numerous texts on my phone telling me to shut the fuck up and stop singing.
The next morning I woke up with feelings of regret and self loathing. Never again. One bottle is enough. Top up or begin with beer where necessary however.

Never tried that. I keep being a port snob and going vintage but there’s loads of nice Ruby’s and LBV’s out there to try. Don’t mind the odd tawny as well.
Yeah, I normally go for the ruby or lbv as they dont seem to oxidize as fast and I can leave the bottle open for longer. Not a fan of the tawny ones.

Been getting the 6 grapes recently as I like price to quality ratio of it.

The local cricket club have crofts in and it always seems nice enough, although I'm normally pissed when I order it.

We got Sandeman 10 yr old Tawny at Campbells and Cawston Stilton for supper. 😎
We got Sandeman 10 yr old Tawny at Campbells and Colston Bassett Stilton for supper. 😎

Last edited:
after a home game my mate will come down here and we'll usually knack a bottle of port (or two) a few beers along with some nibbles, put the worlds to rights and moan about the footy.
i bought this last year and want it opened and passed around when i go the journey which will hopefully not be for a long time, i'll not care whether it's gone off by then :) 1967's when i was born btw.
Logon or register to see this image

edit, the best port i've had was a messias 25 year old one.

Love a bit of port, usually tawny ports but regular port is also a goer for me. Not that keen on ruby though.

I’m actually in the Douro at the moment and did a tour of Symington’s earlier this week, turns out they make Graham’s, Dow’s and Cockburn’s. They’ve got some insane acreage of vines along the Douro valley, really interesting visit.

My current go to is Sandeman’s 20 Year tawny though.

I could get into this. We bought a bottle in m and s last Christmas and by new year we’d bought two more. Works as a winter tipple for me, with good cheese and grapes. The m and s one was the best we’ve tried but I’d definitely try something that was recommended.

Probably try a late bottled vintage first which you can just open with a screw top. That will just confirm you like port.

Then after that most supermarkets have their own vintage port or stuff like Graham’s Quinta dos Malvedos Vintage Port in stock. They tend to not be from the best years or properly aged so the price reflects that (£20ish). All vintage is corked.

Once you’ve established it’s worth paying for vintage then you are on to picking years and producers. The best “modern” ready for drinking ports are from 1994 or 2000. Gets pricey though.

To be fully mature you need a bottle at least 20 years old. And a lot more in some cases.
Oh, I really like port. I just never buy it.

My mam tends to buy me a bottle every year or so. A little while back, she got me a 1986 from when Presto (at the time, Safeway with Morrisons signs in the window) closed in Peterlee, and they were closing the shop down. I recall that was very nice.

Pricey - similar to single malt pricing or something daft?
Only have it on New Year but I can plough through two bottles with ease. Dangerously drinkable stuff.
Jesus.
I've just accidentally drank a full bottle of NZ SB after having the lion's share of a bottle of Malbec earlier on tonight. Feeling ok, but wouldn't like to think they'd both been port :lol:

Last edited:
White port’s mint like.

Off to Porto next week will report back.
Enjoy. Loved walking into an off license and saying can I try a x, y and z. If you find the sports bar, there is a great off license around the corner. Food is poor mind and that dish of a toastie in sauce is minging.
Enjoy. Loved walking into an off license and saying can I try a x, y and z. If you find the sports bar, there is a great off license around the corner. Food is poor mind and that dish of a toastie in sauce is minging.
This - Francesinha - Portuguese Sandwich Recipe

Last edited by a moderator:

Back