Pool

That's right aye, couldn't remember if it was yourself.

I used to be able to give him a decent game but haven't picked up a cue in years, he'd wallop me now. He's definitely the Cliff Thorburn of the league. :D

Have a look at that Hooch's knockout though, Dad reckons in was a cracking night last week. Serious but not serious, if you know what I mean.
I play in a singles league down Birtley most Monday nights. If I get a week off from that I'll go up and give it a go.

My Dad plays in the Consett league on a Wednesday, has done for at least 30 years.

There's also a new knockout every Monday at Hooch's, most of the best league players were at the first one last week. My Dad beat two county players then lost to Fish in the semi final.

There's a name I've never heard in years, sure he used to play for the kings head or the black bull at Lanchester. He had a mate, someone Lambert who was considered best in the league around that time
Yeah definitely Michael Rhodes. I'll probably see him sometime in the next week so I might call him the broom shagger for shits and giggles 😂

Ultimate Pool. It's absolutely mental that level.

We used to go down to pontins near Yarmouth. My mate (craggsy) was / is good mates with rhodesy so we'd meet up down there. They were there for the snooker, I was there for the drink 🤣.

Remember speaking to Ronnie o Sullivan's dad and thinking he was a cracking bloke. He was in jail for murder less than a year later 😮

Last edited:
There's a name I've never heard in years, sure he used to play for the kings head or the black bull at Lanchester. He had a mate, someone Lambert who was considered best in the league around that time
I wouldn't know, he's the secretary of the pool league nowadays. Great lad.

World record holder now of course, is Mr Pilcher.

Played for a team
In washy years ago, loved it.

Sky lounge is a brilliant location, 12 tables, sky sports, canny tunes and god selection of lagers.

Enjoy going there when half pissed and having a knock.

Im shite nowadays, used to be canny when I played regular and living in a pub as a kid with unlimited access to a proper pool table was a big help 🤣.

I take the bairn to bishop snooker club on a Saturday lunchtime now and again. They seem to have a few comps on in there what start around noon on a weekend. Looks a decent standard and from the mix of those that enter, blokes from all walks of life. Bit fruity language which the bairn always shoots me a look and a grin when he hears but they seem decent enough blokes, canny crack .

They've got a Facebook page which shows all that sort of stuff if it's of interest.

Team I played for in crook went undefeated for 3 year. Ultimate dominance, won all the knock outs as well.

I was just one of the more "solid" players with the "he who makes the least mistakes at this level wins" attitude 🤣

I play in Bishop every week like, its a decent place, could just do with a bit of TLC. Mitch who owns it is spot on, goto the quiz there on a Sunday night as well, don't know how long that will last as not many people showing up.
Used to see Jimmy Montgomery every Monday in there, when he would play snooker with his grandson.

I wouldn't know, he's the secretary of the pool league nowadays. Great lad.

World record holder now of course, is Mr Pilcher.
Used to work with Colin, didn't know him personally, just used to make me laugh over the radio's with his one liners :lol:

Anyone on here play in any leagues or get out and play it every so often?

I play for a team in the Stanley league but my guess is that there are a few people on here who either play somewhere in the region.

Also I want to go to a few different places as the only places I really go to play at the minute are either in Stanley, Birtley or Kitts in Durham.
I heard your shite

I play in Bishop every week like, its a decent place, could just do with a bit of TLC. Mitch who owns it is spot on, goto the quiz there on a Sunday night as well, don't know how long that will last as not many people showing up.
Used to see Jimmy Montgomery every Monday in there, when he would play snooker with his grandson.

Used to work with Colin, didn't know him personally, just used to make me laugh over the radio's with his one liners :lol:

I`m thinking about taking my little blow heater thing next time i go, its always freezing if you go in early doors :lol: :lol:

I played snooker for the first time in about 20 years yesterday, jumped on a table at South Shields Snooker Centre for an hour. Forgot how massive the chebble is.

Are the only two places to play snooker/pool in Sunderland Cheemas and Sloanes?

Love pool, used to play semi regular in sloanes, had a few rounds just before xmas and was pap compared to what I used to be like. I was always ropey with positional shots but could make some ridiculous pots.

Used to absolutely love pool.
Always wanted my own table. Even got one when I was about 12 (funnily enough, from the catalogue my mam used to run - recent thread on that!). But the dining room just wasn't big enough, so it went back.

Between swos, champ, counterstrike and the free pool table in the common room, I have no idea how I graduated at uni :lol:

We got pretty good - the sort of standard that if you came to the table with a pot on, you expected to clear up 8 times out of 10. I did beat the uni pool captain by chipping away at him with safety, he was fuming :lol:

Can't really play now, my eyesight is terrible.

If anyone is in the Durham area and at a loss as to what to do on Friday night, I have a money game at Kitts Pool Club (just above CEX at the bottom of North Road) for £1200 from half 6.

Supposedly there are about 10-15 of us heading through from Stanley and other areas so it'll be a cracking night whether I win, lose or draw and possibly heading out into town afterwards.

I'm not a shy bairn so just drop me a message and all the lads and lasses will make you feel welcome and you can come and cheer me on or heckle me for shits and giggles.

At the age of 75, my Dad got called up to play for Durham. :eek:

Debut last Sunday v Tyne & Wear at Whitey Bay he played twice each for the B team and the veterans (over 50) and won three out of four. Not bad.

At the age of 75, my Dad got called up to play for Durham. :eek:

Debut last Sunday v Tyne & Wear at Whitey Bay he played twice each for the B team and the veterans (over 50) and won three out of four. Not bad.
That's cos your Dad is timeless mate 🤣
You still play with Tony E
I didn't even see this comment until now mate. Yeah I still play with Tony. I was in the empire tonight playing my doubles game.

Back