Pointless scenes in films?

The whole Winston Wolf scene is pretty pointless. All he needed to do was organise the car to be destroyed but they is about 20 mins of a gang enforcer helming a car been cleaned. The entire scene is only there to give Harvey Keital a role and for Tarantino to say the n word over and over again
He’s got form for that kind of shite. The whole “I dont wanna be Mister Pink” dialogue in Reservoir Dogs is rancid.

How about all of Anchorman 2?

Deer Hunter wedding is a good shout.

I remember our lass watching The Hobbit - a short story that was shamelessly stretched into three films to make more dough. There was a long scene at the hobbit’s house with all the gnomes hoying plates around that was a massive session of cinematic wanking that served zero purpose in moving the story along just padded out the length of the film.
And yet the Unexpected Party is an immense chapter.

I always turn Layer Cake off 10 seconds before the end. Happy ending then.
Read Viva La Madness the sequel book. It’s excellent. I was always hoping it would be made with DC but last I heard bloody Statham had bought the film rights so he can fook off.

Disagree. The character was a passive screamer in T1. Bad enough being locked up in a looney bin but that demonstrated the abuse that she suffered inside so provides background to how the character transformed into a proactive raging badass having had to endure that sort of filth from ‘the establishment’
I think the abuse is expanded upon in the utterly pointless Director's Cut.

Colin Firth going berserk in the church in ‘The Kingsman’ - very disturbing gratuitous scene and completely at odds with the comedy-action feel of the rest of the film.

One of the Matrix sequels where Neo is in a town square and a thousand Agent Smiths come to pagga him. After what seems like about twenty minutes of completely pointless martial arts he finally gets overwhelmed and shoots off like Superman. What was the point of the fight other than cinematic wanking? Since Agent Smith is not ‘real’ all Neo’s punching wasn’t hurting anyone so achieved absolutely nowt.

The scene where Douglas licks Sarah Connors face in Terminator 2. It was memorable but didn't add anything to the plot.
I actually don't remember that and I've seen it loads. Always thought it was overrated mind and the first one is better by light-years
Same with the pulp fiction bumming scene. In fact tarrantino is a weirdo , remember his character in from dusk till dawn, proper rapey

Never liked tarantino tbh. That scene is totally out of place like and unnecessary aye

Best, only class film he's involved in was true romance and he had very little to do with it iirc

Last edited:
Colin Firth going berserk in the church in ‘The Kingsman’ - very disturbing gratuitous scene and completely at odds with the comedy-action feel of the rest of the film.

One of the Matrix sequels where Neo is in a town square and a thousand Agent Smiths come to pagga him. After what seems like about twenty minutes of completely pointless martial arts he finally gets overwhelmed and shoots off like Superman. What was the point of the fight other than cinematic wanking? Since Agent Smith is not ‘real’ all Neo’s punching wasn’t hurting anyone so achieved absolutely nowt.
Best scene in the film IMO...shows what's at stake if baddies plan goes down

In The Godfather where Michael goes to Sicily, the whole segment is pointless and could have shortened the film by an hour not having it happen and no-one would have been any different

It's pivotal to the whole thing and totally in-keeping with the film.

I've never read a Mark Millar comic book but over the top violence is pretty much his thing. Kick-Ass is the same.

Where the Terminator bloke with the crap haircut crashes the car at the end of No Country for Old Men.

In fact quite a lot of that film is showing you stuff you don't need to see while important stuff takes place off-camera, because art.

I actually don't remember that and I've seen it loads. Always thought it was overrated mind and the first one is better by light-years

Never liked tarantino tbh. That scene is totally out of place like and unnecessary aye

Best, only class film he's involved in was true romance and he had very little to do with it iirc
To be fair tarantino’s films are a load of pointless scenes all packaged up into normally excellent films

Back