Playstation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

I too will also be 'switching' to ps4, this wouldn't have even crossed my mind a month ago, but MS have really f ucked up IMO,
A real wasted opportunity

no used game restrictions.

Not true.

E3 2013: DRM-free PS4 is a PR play – expect similar policies across both consoles, say sources
Comments 55 Neil Long at 11:49am June 12 2013

Several development sources have told us that they expect game publishers to implement similar DRM policies across Xbox One and PS4, despite what has unfolded at E3 this week.

Our contacts described Sony’s conference announcements as a PR play, and revealed that its decision to go DRM-free was made at the very last minute.

Each platform holder’s DRM policy has changed continually over the last few months, they said, though Microsoft’s initial stance was much tougher than its position today. This suggests that the platform holder’s decision to let publishers decide for themselves whether to implement DRM on Xbox One was not part of the original plan.

Ultimately, the developers we spoke to understand the need to protect the revenues made on their work, and expect to see broadly similar DRM restrictions across both PS4 and Xbox One – in one instance, it was suggested that these measures were essential for the console business to survive.

We were also told that final publishing agreements will not be drawn up for at least another month, so the terms of engagement could yet change once more before each console launches at the end of the year.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/e3-...ar-policies-across-both-consoles-say-sources/

just googled it and I found some information on 3rd parties setting their own DRM on ps4 is that what your article is getting at? :lol:

The only games that are guaranteed to be DRM free on the PS4 are first party Sony games, the rest will likely have the same policy as the Microsoft.

It's the publishers themselves that are pushing for this.

The only games that are guaranteed to be DRM free on the PS4 are first party Sony games, the rest will likely have the same policy as the Microsoft.

so basically its exactly the same? :lol:

well I might not bother with either console then ;)

Sony have played it brilliantly

if any publishers decide to do it they can just point the finger and say we'll it's not us. and after the backlash Microsoft just got which publisher is going to want that. even EA have scrapped online passes recently

Sony have played it brilliantly

if any publishers decide to do it they can just point the finger and say we'll it's not us. and after the backlash Microsoft just got which publisher is going to want that. even EA have scrapped online passes recently

They only had online passes to make up revenue lost from used games, they are scrapping them because DRM means used games are about to become a thing of the past.

so basically its exactly the same? :lol:

well I might not bother with either console then ;)

Yep.

Everyone should do that, a mass boycott of both would soon see the policy changed but unfortunately everyone will still buy into them which will make sure this is the future of games.

Bit more on it.

Cliff Bleszinski ‏@therealcliffyb 12 Jun

You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing. The numbers do NOT work people.

The visual fidelity and feature sets we expect from games now come with sky high costs. Assasins Creed games are made by thousands of devs.

Newsflash. This is why you're seeing free to play and microtransactions everywhere. The disc based day one $60 model is crumbling.

Those of you telling me "then just lower game budgets" do understand how silly you sound, right?

They only had online passes to make up revenue lost from used games, they are scrapping them because DRM means used games are about to become a thing of the past.

Yep.

Everyone should do that, a mass boycott of both would soon see the policy changed but unfortunately everyone will still buy into them which will make sure this is the future of games.

Bit more on it.

I don't rent games myself but lots of people do and its unfair on people who maybe can't stretch to full games every time a new one comes out. what they should do is focus on keeping the prices to a decent price imo.

I don't rent games myself but lots of people do and its unfair on people who maybe can't stretch to full games every time a new one comes out. what they should do is focus on keeping the prices to a decent price imo.

How on earth is that unfair?

Just sounds like a load of impatient dole-wallers to me. Games cost next to nowt a few weeks after release.

Games prices, even on day one, are the same price they were 15 years ago. I can't think of anything else that hasn't been touched by inflation. Hell, I paid £70 for Turok on the N64, could you imagine spending that on a game now?

Am I right in thinking the ps4 only has 8gb of memory? That's what it says on amazon.

My 360 has something like that and I'm always struggling for space. :neutral:

I'm getting it mixed up surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back