Plans for new £1.5m road to improve cultural quarter in Sunderland city centre unveiled

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
1.5 million for one of the biggest initiatives the place has seen for year!

That Bakerloo Tube extension is costing £3 billion. I know I'm comparing us to London, but we wonder why this city gets further behind the rest of the country....
I really never do wonder Sunderland gets further behind London. Strange that

More years of f***ing roadworks and jams. It took them nearly two years to move half a mile of road fifty years to the north when they did Vaux plaza. Now there are going to be three more sets of roadworks and for no real reason. We don't have traffic congestion problems in the city centre at all. Except of course when they're doing roadworks. Shirley they could do something useful with the money.

More years of f***ing roadworks and jams. It took them nearly two years to move half a mile of road fifty years to the north when they did Vaux plaza. Now there are going to be three more sets of roadworks and for no real reason. We don't have traffic congestion problems in the city centre at all. Except of course when they're doing roadworks. Shirley they could do something useful with the money.
WDSC. Took two years to move something other councils would take fifty years to do.

WDSC. Took two years to move something other councils would take fifty years to do.

I googled WDSC and I got Wycombe District Swimming Club. :)

Vaux Plaza was obviously a world historical achievement but all these new roadworks aren't needed. They could do something useful with the money.

Vaux Plaza was obviously a world historical achievement but all these new roadworks aren't needed. They could do something useful with the money.

You know much of the money for these roadworks come from the DfT for the specific purpose of doing roadworks

I only wish more was happening in this sleepy city of ours. All I can think of is:

* IAMP business park
* Keel Square Development
* Fantastic development planned for the Vaux Site
* New college in town
* New University Development and 'Fab Lab'
* Fantastic new wear bridge crossing and alignment of the roads all the way down to the Port
* Rapid development of Port Of Sunderland and restoration of the rail links
* Renovation of Phoenix House, Cassaton House, Crown House and Chambers Building.
* Redevelopment and Refurbishment of High Street.
* New Hilton Garden Inn.
* The Beacon Of Light.
* Sunderland Software City and the increasing recognition that Sunderland is the UK's silicon valley.
* East Coast Mainline Route being brought to Sunderland
* Converting Joplings into a mixed use Hotel and Leisure development.
* A further 2 hotels planned for Vaux and High Street.
* Development of a cultural quarter
* Redevelopment of the old fire station as a performing arts venue
* Building of a new arena in the cultural quarter.
* West end shows now a permanent fixture at the Sunderland Empire.
* Massive executive housing scheme being built at leafy Chapelgarth.
* The new Youth Zone being built in Holmeside which already has a commercial operator in place.
* 7 award winning parks
* The award winning redevelopment of the Seafront
* The fantastic restaurant development down Roker Beach.
* The crowning jewel which is the new Seaburn development.

I haven't even mentioned the stuff being done around the City Of Culture bid or the Tall Ships race. I haven't mentioned about the multitude of smaller developments going on like the conversion of the old Speedings sail factory, the student accommodation on Ryhope Road or the plans for further development down North Haven. There is also potentially a massive development in the offing for the East End.

Apart from this and the heritage zone, there's very little happening here. Depressing really.

Us in the knows should stick together

How far in the past? The last few years has been jam packed with exciting progress
Some of the road changes, which this thread is about have been shocking. St Mary's roundabout, putting lights on it was gob smacking and completely unnecessary. The original bus only lanes on the a690 created massive tailbacks that didn't exist before. 50 yard long bus lanes were so stupid as to be laughable.
The toll bar cross roads traffic lights caused gridlock and danger in that area and had to be changed. Traffic lights around the a19 roundabouts make it very difficult to change lanes at peak times. That's just off the top of my head. There have been good road changes, the new exit road off the a19 to the herrington interchange is a big improvement. After that I'm struggling.

Sunderland council in their usual "Lets make up a reason we need road for, we need to build something to waste a bit more tax payers money" shocker...
Don't worry. The 1.5M cost will soon be repaid in parking fees and fines. The Council need to provide roads in order that car owners get easier access to paid for parking spaces. It's a plan brilliant in it's simplicity.

The toll bar cross roads traffic lights caused gridlock and danger in that area and had to be changed.

Lights were needed at Toll Bar, when it was just the little roundabout it was an accident waiting to happen. Fair enough if you are driving along there now at 10pm its a pain having to wait at lights when no traffic. But at peak times its definitely better/safer.

Lights were needed at Toll Bar, when it was just the little roundabout it was an accident waiting to happen. Fair enough if you are driving along there now at 10pm its a pain having to wait at lights when no traffic. But at peak times its definitely better/safer.
The original lights were s joke and had to be altered to the current system. They were dangerous. The roundabout was adequate until they opened the new bypass. That was the reason for the lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back