Places around Weardale/Pennines

Planning a spring mini tour around the Northern interior to show the missus something a bit different about home.

There's an abundance of nice quirky places to stay on Airbnb but planning on doing the Killhope lead mining museum, Hamsterly, riding the railway etc but mostly absorbing some countryside.

If anyone is especially familiar with the area, any ideas or recommendations would be welcome.

If you want to stay somewhere with pubs and places to eat, then Alston.

If you want somewhere quiet and beautiful we love Garrigill and you can easily drive into Alston for pubs and food. We're to get a bolt hole up there at some point.

Planning a spring mini tour around the Northern interior to show the missus something a bit different about home.

There's an abundance of nice quirky places to stay on Airbnb but planning on doing the Killhope lead mining museum, Hamsterly, riding the railway etc but mostly absorbing some countryside.

If anyone is especially familiar with the area, any ideas or recommendations would be welcome.

If you want a picturesque walk, then park up on the main road in Westagate, outside the old school house and walk up Middlehope Burn to look at the Slit lead mine remains.

Another is at the head of Middleton in Teasdale up you Skeers.

And one more little known gem is the waterfall Ashgill force on the road between Alston and Middleton.

For food, I can highly recommend the Crown in Mickleton and the Rose and Crown In Romaldkirk.

If you want to stay somewhere with pubs and places to eat, then Alston.

If you want somewhere quiet and beautiful we love Garrigill and you can easily drive into Alston for pubs and food. We're to get a bolt hole up there at some point.

Twinned with Royston Vasey, and stuck in the 1950s

If you want a picturesque walk, then park up on the main road in Westagate, outside the old school house and walk up Middlehope Burn to look at the Slit lead mine remains.

Another is at the head of Middleton in Teasdale up you Skeers.

And one more little known gem is the waterfall Ashgill force on the road between Alston and Middleton.

For food, I can highly recommend the Crown in Mickleton and the Rose and Crown In Romaldkirk.
Decent Italians there?

I’ve never been in the pub for a good twenty years. Possibly more.

It’s a different class altogether. Strangely, I haven’t been in the other pub in that village.
It was a lame attempt at humour, it was spelled Westagate, sounds Italian...

Back