Places around Weardale/Pennines

Stanhope is nice for a wander around.

If you park at Cow Green, it's a nice walk around the reservoir. If you're up to it, it's fairly easy to climb down the rocks at the side of the Cauldrons Snout for a good view of it from the bottom. Tunstall reservoir is canny too.

Have a look for dark sky events in Hamsterley if you're interested in star gazing.

Stanhope is nice for a wander around.

If you park at Cow Green, it's a nice walk around the reservoir. If you're up to it, it's fairly easy to climb down the rocks at the side of the Cauldrons Snout for a good view of it from the bottom. Tunstall reservoir is canny too.

Have a look for dark sky events in Hamsterley if you're interested in star gazing.

Is the visitor centre still open in Stanhope? Years since I was there but the café was canny with home made cakes and stuff.

Agree with Cow Green. I read an article a while back which mentioned that because of its location it has its own micro climate and there are some plants and birds there that are normally only found in arctic environments. Which explains a lot because it's usually Baltic up there, even in summer.

Tunstall reservoir is a nice spot. Green woodpeckers and red squirrels around there. Not that I've seen either mind.

Another shout for Slits wood near Westgate. Nice walk with an interesting history. Caught my first ever fish there as a bairn.

Is the visitor centre still open in Stanhope? Years since I was there but the café was canny with home made cakes and stuff.

Agree with Cow Green. I read an article a while back which mentioned that because of its location it has its own micro climate and there are some plants and birds there that are normally only found in arctic environments. Which explains a lot because it's usually Baltic up there, even in summer.

Tunstall reservoir is a nice spot. Green woodpeckers and red squirrels around there. Not that I've seen either mind.

Another shout for Slits wood near Westgate. Nice walk with an interesting history. Caught my first ever fish there as a bairn.

Yes the Durham Dales Centre is still open in Stanhope. It's nice in there.

My Dad loved Stanhope. They had a caravan up there for many years and he broke his heart when they had to sell it after his stroke. He wanted his ashes put in the river up there which we need to sort out. He liked the idea of floating through Stanhope and weardale, past Durham (he used to train spot in Wharton Park as a boy), through Washington (lived there for many years) and past the SOL (for obvious reasons!) then out to sea.

There's some rare alpine violets that grow up at Cow Green. They look really fragile and delicate which I've always thought seemed odd given the environment up there.

My Dad loved Stanhope. They had a caravan up there for many years and he broke his heart when they had to sell it after his stroke. He wanted his ashes put in the river up there which we need to sort out. He liked the idea of floating through Stanhope and weardale, past Durham (he used to train spot in Wharton Park as a boy), through Washington (lived there for many years) and past the SOL (for obvious reasons!) then out to sea.

There's some rare alpine violets that grow up at Cow Green. They look really fragile and delicate which I've always thought seemed odd given the environment up there.
Cow Green and Tunstall used to be cracking trout fisheries years ago

Nice story about your Dad.

Aye, that may well be the flower.

I’ve never been in the pub for a good twenty years. Possibly more.

It’s a different class altogether. Strangely, I haven’t been in the other pub in that village.
Don’t change that !

Where was the caravan ?

Last edited by a moderator:
They put the touring van on Heatherview for a couple of years the moved to Greenfoot when they bought the static van.
Know it well, my mam and dad were on The Butts for decades other family scattered around crawleyside!

Know it well, my mam and dad were in The Butts for decades other family scattered around crawleyside!
Both loved it there, dads and mams ashes scattered up there and Barney !

Last edited by a moderator:

Back