Places around Weardale/Pennines

Know it well, my mam and dad were on The Butts for decades other family scattered around crawleyside!

Both loved it there, dads and mams ashes scattered up there and Barney !

We've walked past The Butts so many times!

They used to walk down from Greenfoot but it's a climb on the way back. My Dad used to stop half way for a breather and always said he wished there was a bench there. We're thinking about getting a memorial bench put there but Durham County Council can't work out who owns the grass at the side of the path! Could be them, the parish council or a farmer.

We've walked past The Butts so many times!

They used to walk down from Greenfoot but it's a climb on the way back. My Dad used to stop half way for a breather and always said he wished there was a bench there. We're thinking about getting a memorial bench put there but Durham County Council can't work out who owns the grass at the side of the path! Could be them, the parish council or a farmer.
Well don’t give up on that get it sorted, a lovely memory of him.ask around the village someone might know.The woodhalls in Stanhope might be good to ask they have the general shop in the front street and own The Butts

Well don’t give up on that get it sorted, a lovely memory of him.ask around the village someone might know.The woodhalls in Stanhope might be good to ask they have the general shop in the front street and own The Butts

Thanks. I'll pass that on to my Mam. I'm seeing her tomorrow.

I’ve never been in the pub for a good twenty years. Possibly more.

It’s a different class altogether. Strangely, I haven’t been in the other pub in that village.
The Kirk is the other pub and it's lifting . It's run by a guy who's loaded so he doesn't have to make a profit - and he wont . There's often a dog turd on the floor and the glasses are mingin . He is known locally as Mr Bean because of his looks . Because of his wallet he's shacked up with a wad .

Love St. John’s Chapel myself. Could see me living there in the not too distant future if the missus would agree (which she won’t). Might be from having holidays there when I was a kid.
I could sell you a nice house there . Don't pm me - I cant retrieve them .

Plenty farmhouses do B&B in the upper dales.The Hare and Hounds in Westgate do lovely meals.
Great place .

Nice story about your Dad.

Aye, that may well be the flower.
Blue Gentian is the flower . Just picked mesell a nice big bunch of them .

Last edited:
Hello lads and lasses,

Heading back up north this week.. will hopefully be bouncing all across Weardale, Teesdale and perhaps even crossing into the neigbouring parts of Cumbria and Northumberland. I will be using alot of the stuff posted in here, anymore recommendations very much appreciated. Best places to go, best food, must see things etc all very much welcomed.

Nenthead mines do tours (also Killhope). There is a model village there also. It is really good. The bloke makes them himself. They are in his garden not a formal attraction. There is footage on YouTube.

If you do venture down to romaldkirk I can highly recommend the railway walk to cotherstone and back along the river to romaldkirk. You have the rose and crown at romaldkirk and the fox and hound at cotherstone. Two cracking pubs to rehydrate.

Used to keep my horses up at hunderthwaite so used to ride up the railway all the time it's a lovely day out for walkers. I will add in Eggleston Hall gardens and cafe for refreshments just over the river. Especially on a sunny day, the Easter Weekend they had record sales for a bank holiday this year and they do a cracking Sunday dinner

Back