Pikey scrap men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Local name is do-as-you-likees because that's what they do,got a few mates who are settled travellers,lots of moneyed travellers in this area.Cobham cemetery the McAlpine family have their mausoleum,in a beautiful garden,the mausoleum has huge heavy (thankfully) bronze gates,my mate gary is the caretaker,about 10 years ago he went into work,some scrap thieves had hacksawed the gates off and tried to carry them away,but they gates were mega heavy.McAlpine family have CCTV and instant alarms on the place now

It is amazing how they know stuff is there. They are like sharks with a drop of blood in the water.

I was doing my bathroom a few years back. Did it all myself, so no builders vans or anything. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and my drive curves round to the front gate. Because the street is on a slope, my neighbours drive is higher and there is a wall, blocking the view of the bit of ground in front of my gate from the road, especially when my car is on the drive too.

I pulled the old sink and some of the piping out. The taps were on the sink really tight, so I left them to sort out later and pilled stuff neatly in front of the gate. Within 2 hours I heard some clattering outside, went down to have a look and the sink & piping had all gone. I was going to freecycle it or take it to the tip anyway, but I can't believe how quickly they knew it was there. Makes me think that all the houses are being watched constantly.

A couple of times when walking into the street I have looked to see what angles I can see that bit of ground from and can't. I've know idea how they reacted so quickly.

It is amazing how they know stuff is there. They are like sharks with a drop of blood in the water.

I was doing my bathroom a few years back. Did it all myself, so no builders vans or anything. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and my drive curves round to the front gate. Because the street is on a slope, my neighbours drive is higher and there is a wall, blocking the view of the bit of ground in front of my gate from the road, especially when my car is on the drive too.

I pulled the old sink and some of the piping out. The taps were on the sink really tight, so I left them to sort out later and pilled stuff neatly in front of the gate. Within 2 hours I heard some clattering outside, went down to have a look and the sink & piping had all gone. I was going to freecycle it or take it to the tip anyway, but I can't believe how quickly they knew it was there. Makes me think that all the houses are being watched constantly.

A couple of times when walking into the street I have looked to see what angles I can see that bit of ground from and can't. I've know idea how they reacted so quickly.
reminds me when I saw an old bath in a field up Penshaw that had horses and was used as a water trough, went past next day and 2 scroates were pulling the taps off that had been left on.

f***ing shocking the amount of kids bikes you see in their pikey cages.

Horrible bastards.

Down my way last year they took three bikes off kids playing football in the park. Loads of people saw it happen, descriptions given and number plates.

As others have said, a strong police campaign on the vehicles could stop it fairly quickly. Same as having an ANPR camera on the roads to Appleby at that time of the year.

But that would presumably be oppression and infringing on their culture

Just passed one of these scrap vans on my way home from work in the back lanes of Roker. Not quite sure how they are allowed to get away with this, maybe they are essential workers?

Caught a couple of them last year trying to pinch something out the back of mine. Climbed over an 8ft wall to take an old boiler. Horrible fuckers. Took it as far as I could with the coppers. People round here didn't think so but they were taking it seriously. Couldn't end up positively identifying the ones who came over my wall but the coppers were getting on to the various scrappies and there does seem to be much less sight of them round Roker these past few months.

Probably a controversial view but I find them quite useful. I'm doing a house up at the moment and anything metal that I need rid of goes within a few hours. I've never personally had any issues with them taking stuff from the back garden but have seen them in other areas looking over back walls, so it no doubt happens.

They don't seem to be doing the rounds at the moment as in typical times you'd see them most days having a mooch around the estate.

I was going to post this. Most of them live in houses. They are pond life and I hate them all
I once saw one filling up his van in the petrol station. There was a queue of about 4 or 5 people waiting to pay. He waltzed, straight to the front and chucked the contents of a piggy bank on the counter and said ‘there ya go, it’s all there’ then walked out. Whether it was or it wasn’t I have no idea but what kind of person does that? Like you say, f***ing pond life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back