Phil Lynott would have been 70 today

I know Maiden is just mainly E5 C5 D5.....! But the Di'Anno albums are not like the Bruce ones.
Had it in me head Number of the Beast was the second album - I even knew it wasn't. Can't recall if I've ever listened to the Di'Anno albums. Probably not. I used to have a dodgy Napster download of Phantom of the Opera for some reason.

Tis true. Thin Lizzy type classic Rock took a bit of a back seat with Metal taking over the rock side and the rise of the shiteily clad electro freaks Sorry the @mini-x2 type ;). John Sykes wandered off into Whitesnake, Gary Moore was off doing his rock stuff like Wild Frontier but even he wandered away onto Widdly Widdly machines like Jackson for a while. Glam stuff like Poison and Crue came to the fore with looped and reversed drum lines and even more outlandish guitars such as BC RICH etc, even Judas Priest started to use those god awful guitarsynths on a few tracks

Those two words just don’t go together do they?

Midge stood in on a US tour aye. I don't think Moore could hack life in Lizzy and basically walked out. So to continue Phil gave Midge a call and he got a flight over, learning the guitar parts with a little tape recorder on the way.
It was more the fact that Moore was pissed off at Lynott & Gorham getting smashed before going on stage. Said the whole thing was too unprofessional

:lol: A hard rock band singing about bucking, drinking and fighting, wharrever next.
I think you're asking a bit too much tbh. They are two great (not grate) songs still, but rock and roll is cock rock. The term itself means 'f***ing' and f***ing has been the theme of rock and roll since its blues roots.

Yeah, both points taken, but for me it's a question of attitude. I notice it now when at the time I didn't.

While I'm on, can we restart the discussion on how much of Live and Dangerous was done in the studio? We haven't done that for at least six months.

I have a massive aversion to new romantic synth pop like Japan, Spandau etc - Sophisti-pop they like to call it these days. Dreadful. Same goes for the likes of Tears for Fears, Deacon Blue, Aztec Camera, Prefab fuck off rank Sprout. Middle o the road tripe. All of it's aged badly.
A lot of it has and lots of rock less so but at the time it was new and interesting compared to old farts with guitars. I struggle to back track any music like you must have done thus far .I got it as it landed
Punk ska new wave new romantic. Rave .acid house .Manchester. grunge . I prefer looking for new stuff .Always have
Deacon blue and the likes are light years away from Japan etc

Jailbreak tour, City Hall, Nov 1st 1976 fecking awesome.
What a, great front man and a top band.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a massive aversion to new romantic synth pop like Japan, Spandau etc - Sophisti-pop they like to call it these days. Dreadful. Same goes for the likes of Tears for Fears, Deacon Blue, Aztec Camera, Prefab fuck off rank Sprout. Middle o the road tripe. All of it's aged badly.
Sounds of a generation had a soft spot for the sprouts being from my neck of the woods, listen to rock music but the songs from these group bring a smile to my face

A lot of it has and lots of rock less so but at the time it was new and interesting compared to old farts with guitars. I struggle to back track any music like you must have done thus far .I got it as it landed
Punk ska new wave new romantic. Rave .acid house .Manchester. grunge . I prefer looking for new stuff .Always have
Deacon blue and the likes are light years away from Japan etc
They are, but I was comparing them more to Tears For Fears. Two ends of the 80s, probably some overlap. All a bit toothless.
Yeah, both points taken, but for me it's a question of attitude. I notice it now when at the time I didn't.

While I'm on, can we restart the discussion on how much of Live and Dangerous was done in the studio? We haven't done that for at least six months.

Out of curiosity I did a little search of your previous posts earlier today to see what floats your boat and by the looks of it seems like it's you who brings it up time and again.

Last edited:
They are, but I was comparing them more to Tears For Fears. Two ends of the 80s, probably some overlap. All a bit toothless.

Out of curiosity I did a little search of your previous posts earlier today to see what floats your boat and by the looks of it seems like it's you who brings it up time and again.

I don't remember it that way, .but if that's what you think, fine.

I'm in the very early 80s. Never really meant to have teeth .1st TFF album was very good and Japan went from a wannabee glam band to musical geniuses then split . Simple minds were another who like TFF started the decade well and lost the plot by the end
As I say it's difficult without being there ,music followed a format until that point then suddenly it's tape machines ,synth's ,samples and not many kids didn't take to it .

Started buying albums around about 1983, and Thunder & Lightning was my first Lizzy album....and probably for that reason, always had a soft spot for it. Some of it hasn't aged too well, but Cold Sweat, Holy War and Sun Goes Down still sound canny

As a few people have commented on, Renegade's a patchy album, but title track my favourite song after their classic period stuff

Jailbreak tour, City Hall, Nov 1st 1976 fecking awesome.
What a, great front man and a top band.

Shirley that was the ‘johnny the fox tour’ ?
I was at that one. It was the tour they recorded and ahem...remastered for the live and dangerous album.
The support band were Clover who were an early incarnation of Huey Lewis and the News.
I was at that one. It was the tour they recorded and ahem...remastered for the live and dangerous album.
The support band were Clover who were an early incarnation of Huey Lewis and the News.

Late edit ;
There’s a fantastic site for people like me with fading memories who misspent their youth at the City Hall

Last edited:

Late edit ;
There’s a fantastic site for people like me with fading memories who misspent their youth at the City Hall
:D Clover were the support.
But, they opened with Jailbreak and sirens and flashing lights?

Back