Phil Lynott would have been 70 today

No what I am suggesting is that Quo have obviously become bland but weren't in the 70's/early '80's. Many band's with shorter careers, for whatever reason, ended without going through a crap period. If the Beatles had not split in 1970 and just had a period away as suggested by George Harrison they may have come back with less inspiring stuff - their image and their credibility could have been tarnished. Most band's get worse with time. for some band's legacies it was, in hindsight, fortunate that they ended when they did - the Sex Pistols or the Beatles probably split at the right time. Thin Lizzy didn't really go through that long term deterioration whereas Quo did.
Albums post Robertson got progressively worse, culminating in the abomination that was Thunder & Lightning

Ah right, I'm with ya - that definitely wasn't clear from your initial post though! :lol:

As much as I love Lizzy, they were on a downward slope towards the end - the smack won't have helped mind.

It's testament to the legacy Phil left behind though that Gorham has been able to do some pretty successful tours under the Lizzy name over the past 15 years or so. Once he got shot of Sykes and Downey rejoined for a while they were fuckin' excellent.
There was really good stuff their last album Thunder and Lightening.
Sad but true. The albums with Snowy have their moments like, but aye, Thunder & Lightening's fuckin' rank.
ha, I replied without seeing your opinion on Thunder and Lightening. Cold Sweat is excellent.

ha, I replied without seeing your opinion on Thunder and Lightening. Cold Sweat is excellent.
About the only passable song on there, and I still don't like it.

It's all the widdly fuckin' shite - naff. It's just not the Lizzy sound. Can't stand Sykes with all his squeaky pinch harmonics.

I think that album suffered as much to the influence of NWOBHM as it was the smack. It was just too metally rather than their previous well balanced hard rock sound. But there were some good moments on it, you're right.

I think that album suffered as much to the influence of NWOBHM as it was the smack. It was just too metally rather than their previous well balanced hard rock sound. But there were some good moments on it, you're right.
Aye. Widdly widdle widdle John Sykes widdling on. Dreadful.

No he stood in between robbo departing and Moore hooking up with them. Or it may have been between moore leaving and robbo rejoining, or moore and robbo buggering off :lol: Bit of a revolving door wi them two

anyhoo
From Jailbreak

And specially for Joe (is the daft owld get banned i can`t tag him)

Sure it was US tour and Robertson went awol
Arrested or hospitalised or whatever
Sad but true. The albums with Snowy have their moments like, but aye, Thunder & Lightening's fuckin' rank.
Got the gatefold album somewhere
The singles were good
Sun goes down good tune as well
Tough time for Rock the 80s
Guitar shops full of keyboards and drum machines
Most of the big rock names went a bit average deciding where their future was

Last edited:

Back