Phil Lynott would have been 70 today

I took it that you were writing them off as a singles band - they had some great albums.
Aye
It could read that way
Lizzy and Quo etc crossed into people's living rooms through putting an importance on singles
Phil looked every bit the rocker to the pop kids
Far superior to Quo some quality albums.
Not comparing just pointing out they both kept the singles coming
Apparently early Quo is well respected by the rock gang .Not the very early of course

Last edited:
Aye
It could read that way
Lizzy and Quo etc crossed into people's living rooms through putting an importance on singles
Phil looked every bit the rocker to the pop kids

Not comparing just pointing out they both kept the singles coming
Apparently early Quo is well respected by the rock gang .Not the very early of course
Lizzy and Quo were different but both released great albums at the same time. The 6 albums from Piledriver to Rockin all over the world were all great albums with quite a hard edge (although that was going on Rockin all over the world). Quo went more pop and got pretty boring after this but they sustained a career 30 odd years longer than Lizzy. I don't say either were better as they were both great - they were different and at the time the best at what they did. The first 3 bands I say were in this order - Lizzy '79, the Jam '79 and Quo '80 - a bit varied but all absolutely great live bands.

Bit of triv.. Phil was born in Hallam (West Bromwich) hospital exactly one year after Robert Plant was born.. same hospital same ward.
Born under a bad sign?
Lizzy and Quo were different but both released great albums at the same time. The 6 albums from Piledriver to Rockin all over the world were all great albums with quite a hard edge (although that was going on Rockin all over the world). Quo went more pop and got pretty boring after this but they sustained a career 30 odd years longer than Lizzy. I don't say either were better as they were both great - they were different and at the time the best at what they did. The first 3 bands I say were in this order - Lizzy '79, the Jam '79 and Quo '80 - a bit varied but all absolutely great live bands.
Love Lizzy, not into Quo and don't rate The Jam at all.

Being alive must have helped...

My favourite live quote during a Lizzy concert in that soft Irish tone.
“ Never in my life have I heard an audience as good as that......except the one last night they were even better.”
He just had it.
Exactly gone but NEVER forgotten Philo.

So so difficult to name a favourite but Johnny the Fox never grows tired with me.

Last edited:
Being alive must have helped...
No what I am suggesting is that Quo have obviously become bland but weren't in the 70's/early '80's. Many band's with shorter careers, for whatever reason, ended without going through a crap period. If the Beatles had not split in 1970 and just had a period away as suggested by George Harrison they may have come back with less inspiring stuff - their image and their credibility could have been tarnished. Most band's get worse with time. for some band's legacies it was, in hindsight, fortunate that they ended when they did - the Sex Pistols or the Beatles probably split at the right time. Thin Lizzy didn't really go through that long term deterioration whereas Quo did.

No what I am suggesting is that Quo have obviously become bland but weren't in the 70's/early '80's. Many band's with shorter careers, for whatever reason, ended without going through a crap period. If the Beatles had not split in 1970 and just had a period away as suggested by George Harrison they may have come back with less inspiring stuff - their image and their credibility could have been tarnished. Most band's get worse with time. for some band's legacies it was, in hindsight, fortunate that they ended when they did - the Sex Pistols or the Beatles probably split at the right time. Thin Lizzy didn't really go through that long term deterioration whereas Quo did.
Ah right, I'm with ya - that definitely wasn't clear from your initial post though! :lol:

As much as I love Lizzy, they were on a downward slope towards the end - the smack won't have helped mind.

It's testament to the legacy Phil left behind though that Gorham has been able to do some pretty successful tours under the Lizzy name over the past 15 years or so. Once he got shot of Sykes and Downey rejoined for a while they were fuckin' excellent.

I saw Thin Lizzy live about half a dozen times, I know i saw them with Robertson and after he went I saw them with Gary Moore in the band, but I seem to think I also saw them with Midge Ure in the band or is that my memory playing tricks on me

I saw Thin Lizzy live about half a dozen times, I know i saw them with Robertson and after he went I saw them with Gary Moore in the band, but I seem to think I also saw them with Midge Ure in the band or is that my memory playing tricks on me
No he stood in between robbo departing and Moore hooking up with them. Or it may have been between moore leaving and robbo rejoining, or moore and robbo buggering off :lol: Bit of a revolving door wi them two

anyhoo
From Jailbreak

And specially for Joe (is the daft owld get banned i can`t tag him)

Back