Peter Beardsley NDOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people talk about great English players how often is Beardsley mentioned? Generally speaking

I'd reckon that even Waddle is probably mentioned more often than Beardsley. Let's face it, even in the 1966 World Cup winning team, there were probably only three greats - Banks, Moore and Charlton (R).

He was friends with one of the Assistant Heads at a school I used to work at, and used to come in a lot to speak to the kids / do presentations etc.
Came to my classroom and I was introduced as 'the Mackem'.
He spent a while talking about Sunderland in quite positive terms (that was when we were decent).
Remember once though, a new receptionist answered the phone when he rang in, and when he said his name, replied 'Aye, and I'm Alan Shearer'.

Beardsley was absolutely f***ing class. Easily one of the best players I've seen . . . . yet nearly never made it

Speaking of Bobby Charlton, I can't be the only one who's only ever seen clips and has no idea what his skill set was, beyond 30 yard piledrivers

Speaking of Bobby Charlton, I can't be the only one who's only ever seen clips and has no idea what his skill set was, beyond 30 yard piledrivers

Pretty much the same for me. I've watched the 68 European cup final and 66 world cup final in full, and other than that just clips of the odd long pass or a bit dribble or a hard shot.

Aye there was a big panic at the mags a few years ago over him and Steve Stone picking on the academy players, making them feel like shit, comparing them to himself etc. Proper small man syndrome.

It didn't break the players contractual arrangement though so they were 'cleared' aka not fined. But a couple of the kids got up and left the club over it. Seems to be enough for the mags to forget about it

I'd heard at the time from other nufc employees that he wasn't very nice to the academy kids during sessions, and that most of his coaching included some personal reference about himself

Aye there was a big panic at the mags a few years ago over him and Steve Stone picking on the academy players, making them feel like shit, comparing them to himself etc. Proper small man syndrome.

It didn't break the players contractual arrangement though so they were 'cleared' aka not fined. But a couple of the kids got up and left the club over it. Seems to be enough for the mags to forget about it
Disappointed that Beardsley would do that.

Not at all surprised by Stone.

Went to the masters at the Arena many years back now and he was the only ignorant shitebag prick who would have nowt to do with the group of about 5 kids (myself & my brother included) who wanted an autograph. He eventually reluctantly scribbled on a bit of paper for us.

Saw him in a pub on Westgate road, Christmas Eve 2005 I think. My mate licked him right up the side of the face.

Went to the masters at the Arena many years back now and he was the only ignorant shitebag prick who would have nowt to do with the group of about 5 kids (myself & my brother included) who wanted an autograph. He eventually reluctantly scribbled on a bit of paper for us.

f***ing hell man you're older than him - fuck off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back