Peregrine Falcon

I've never heard or seen a nightjar even though I know they are regularly seen about 2 miles from where I live.

Here is the one which randomly turned up on my aunty's roof back in May

had data back from our county bird club. Nightjar East Durham records. Durham bird club have approx 20 records in East Durham between 1970-2016 with only 3 in the spring.

Logon or register to see this image

Once went to a birds of prey display at centre parks
One of the organisers got us to stand midway between him with a Barn owl & another organiser
We were blindfolded & the guy with the owl said he would release the bird to fly directly above our heads & to listen & identity when it happened
Not one of us heard it - absolute silence
Amazing birds

Once went to a birds of prey display at centre parks
One of the organisers got us to stand midway between him with a Barn owl & another organiser
We were blindfolded & the guy with the owl said he would release the bird to fly directly above our heads & to listen & identity when it happened
Not one of us heard it - absolute silence
Amazing birds

One of my favourite Birds.
Sadly one close to us was found dead up the road in spring this year. So many are lost as they hunt low to the hedgerows and get distracted by vehicle lights.

Great White Egret this afternoon in Wheatley Hill, another village first for me
See them regularly down the lagoon at the back of the beach in Brittany. Making inroads into the U.K. now lately.

Saw a kingfisher down by the river this afternoon in Worcester. Just a darting flash at first and the missus didn’t see it so I played its call on a birdsong app and it did 2 superb little circuits looping round looking for the interloper. Cheered me right up then come back in and watch us go 3 up, I couldn’t believe either :lol:

Been Little Egrets breeding in England for over 20 years now.

About a month ago I noticed there wasn't a single nest in the local rookery, I was wondering if they all got blown down in the recent strong winds. Today there are about 8 newly built nests and the rooks are all pairing up.

Had a couple of lads down here this week visiting, they are from Martley Potts, one of them had a peregrine take one of his pigeons above his back garden a couple of weeks ago.

About two years ago i was on the bus going to asda boldon and when i passed the house on top of the bank opposite the golf course, left hand side in the field i seen a pigeon get grabbed by some bird, it couldn't have been a kestrel they just prey on voles etc but it happened that quick.

About two years ago i was on the bus going to asda boldon and when i passed the house on top of the bank opposite the golf course, left hand side in the field i seen a pigeon get grabbed by some bird, it couldn't have been a kestrel they just prey on voles etc but it happened that quick.
Friend of mine on the north side of the river has lost quite a few pigeon to peregrine, he sees them often, they aren't as rare as they used to be, might have been a peregrine you saw 👍

Back