Peregrine Falcon

Anyone old enough to remember collecting birds eggs
Think most lads my age done it agree probably not the best hobby as cruel but good memories think my best egg was a gold crest tiny egg kept them all in tins in my room ha good auld days
Feel bit guilty now tho so always leave loas if food out for them in my garden 👍
Was up the cheviots the other day and seen five owls over the course of the day. Probably more than i’ve seen in my previous 40 years combined.

Anyhoo thought they were nocturnal?

Trump that mate was offshore in North Sea couple years back we had 10 owls on rig for a few days
they were over 100 miles from land think they were either following migrating birds or fish but they were some sight 👍

Last edited:
Think most lads my age done it agree probably not the best hobby as cruel but good memories think my best egg was a gold crest tiny egg kept them all in tins in my room ha good auld days
Feel bit guilty now tho so always leave loas if food out for them in my garden 👍

Trump that mate was offshore in North Sea couple years back we had 10 owls on rig for a few days
they were over 100 miles from land think they were either following migrating birds or fish but they were some sight 👍
Plenty owls on the East Durham coast that fly in off the sea. Sat and watched a Long Eared Owl not too long ago head in off the coast. Fantastic to see. Quite regular now Long and Short Eared Owl on the coast.

I have to confess mate I collected eggs.
Blowing them an art. Need to get around all the next boxes I have put up and clean them out. Got a Nuthatch nesting in one this year which was great.
A few visiting the bird table every day which is lovely to see.

Wow Nut hatch any tips on how to attract them in ur garden ?
I got a decent mix with Robins, Wren and a few different tits, thrush n blackbirds which is great but the Magpies love to come and take the young I trained my Border terrier to attack the magpies 😂

I saw 5 buzzards together 2 weeks ago flying over Easigton Village. Regularly see 2 and hear them screeching but never seen 5 before. Local birds were having a fit.
I once saw 14 or 15 circling over Strathmiglo in Fife about 8 years ago - it was mating season and apparently not an uncommon sight

Had a sparrow hawk swoop down & do a pigeon in the bushes under the bird feeders last week, stood at the kitchen window for an hour watching it rip it to bits, it had a few rests & went back to it. The gold finches came down on the feeders & scattered as soon as they spotted the sparrow hawk beneath them. Once the hawk was finished it flew up onto the front feeder & sat there for ages, probably just letting them all know it was his manor. Not seen one in the garden before, only over the fields out the back. Went out to check out the kill after it flew off & there wasn't much left bar a few feathers, impressive.

Last edited:
As a young un not proud to admit I was an egg collector. Most unusual egg I had was a lapwings. Had a point on one end. Not a rare egg but unusual. Looking back now it was a horrible thing to do. Glad to see it seems to have died out.

As a young un not proud to admit I was an egg collector. Most unusual egg I had was a lapwings. Had a point on one end. Not a rare egg but unusual. Looking back now it was a horrible thing to do. Glad to see it seems to have died out.

Tried to find there nests for years sure they used to run 100 yards before taking off as could never find there nests 😂

Wow Nut hatch any tips on how to attract them in ur garden ?
I got a decent mix with Robins, Wren and a few different tits, thrush n blackbirds which is great but the Magpies love to come and take the young I trained my Border terrier to attack the magpies 😂

I shoot the Magpies and Grey Squirrels :eek:
The Nuthatch nesting was impressive as the previous year great tits had reared chicks in it and a woodpecker had definitely pecked around the hole.
The Nuthatches had made the hole smaller with mud (common practice) and amazing watching them. Definitely luck but the next box hole needs to be just a tad larger than a Great Tit size.

Strangely enough in all of my years of watching birds, I've never actually seen a Peregrine in the wild, but living where I live, I regularly see Ospreys, Red Kites and Buzzards, occasional Kestrels and Sparrowhawks, and on really good days, Golden Eagles, White Tailed Eagles and Hen Harriers - We have had Crested Tits in our garden as well which are quite unique to this part of the world so we are very lucky

Back