People who've had loads of jobs

We'd likely spend 10's of thousands getting someone up to speed, would take a couple of years and then the likely of them just nashing off on a whim? No thanks.

The potential for that to happen is always there but if we ignore obvious signs ahead of time then more fool us.
It’s sounds naive here but keeping a happy troop surely has to be cheaper than risk loosing someone or even more than one.
I’ve recently moved purely down to contract changes. The company has changed terms and conditions and have become not competitive so I left. Another person has put in their notice and 2 are looking to reduce their hours and look elsewhere if they don’t get what they want. A massive impact on delivery and avoidable imo. With one email, good will was gone, the room was misread. This is the 2nd time I’ve left jobs because of the erosion of terms and conditions and I would do that again.

Started grafting at 15 now 43 and I've counted 42 jobs(probably more) Most either part time or temporary when I was studying or saving up to go travelling.
I had a few over lockdown but I've been in the same job for 2 years this month. Longest spell in one job is 4 1/2 years

Despite what I’ve said, I would be wary of anyone who has frequently changed jobs within a year. Completely different moving every few years, but lasting less than a year at several places is massive red flag. I usually think of 2 years being enough at one place to not be an issue.

Even as a contractor shortest I've done was 13 months.

My shortest was one month. It soon became clear that it was a wrong decision as it wasn't the job they promised me, I hated the commute, the client team were a bunch of arses and I wasn't the person they needed so we agreed to part ways.

An occasional short term job shouldn't be a concern as everyone makes wrong decisions occasionally but it's certainly a red flag if there is a whole series of them as it shows an inability to settle into a team.

Started grafting at 15 now 43 and I've counted 42 jobs(probably more) Most either part time or temporary when I was studying or saving up to go travelling.
I had a few over lockdown but I've been in the same job for 2 years this month. Longest spell in one job is 4 1/2 years
Just thought of 5 more when I was walking the dog. Starting to feel like a bit of a floosie here

I worked for a call centre for 12 years and got made redundant in 2016.
Started working for the infamous Wirecard company in 2018 and they went into administration in 2020.
Moved to a crypto payments company in Jan 2021 and the crypto crash happened in August so was let go in the October.
Started with a payment processor in October 21 and left in November 22 as I wasn't enjoying the changes the company went through but had also had a shit year personally.
Started with a different payments company in Jan this year and they ran out of money in August so everyone was laid off.

That all means that, on the CV, I'm a job hopper but, the reality is, if Wirecard didn't go into administration and subsequently close, I would likely still be there.

Some companies are put off even talking to people like me because a CV can only so much. Quite frustrating really.

Are you one ?
Readings cv's at the moment and people are staying less than a year in a job and moving on
No doubt its not their fault etc ..
What's the score?
What you recruiting for?
There was a very similar thread last week that i commented on.
I am looking to fill roles now. Seeing the same thing. Any with short term positions, as a pattern, go in the bin.
What job roles you filling?

Last edited:
Despite what I’ve said, I would be wary of anyone who has frequently changed jobs within a year. Completely different moving every few years, but lasting less than a year at several places is massive red flag. I usually think of 2 years being enough at one place to not be an issue.
Ower lasses mate is a high flier in PR. She says that if you spend more than 3 years in a job then you are stagnant and will be looked down upon. You need to be fresh

People know the sector I work in and the turnover is ridiculous.

Before I go any further I’m old school, leaving a job was a big thing.

Some of these young uns just seem to fuck jobs off in a heart beat. I don’t know if it’s because they are living at home longer and a job is just beer money.

It’s not the wage we pay a really good wage, it just feels like these people these days have no loyalty etc.

I’m 50 left uni when I was 22 and had 4 jobs, one was 13 years, next was 8, one was 2 and 6 in this one

Last edited:
I also wonder if the national minimum wage has had an effect, kids are guaranteed to be paid a minimum salary regardless of where they go and what they do.

Kids over 21 guaranteed £20k regardless of what they do and personal circumstances.

The NMW is no doubt a good thing, I wonder if it’s stifling ambition.

Back