People who've had loads of jobs

Since starting my actual "career" I've moved once and I don't really want to move again. But untimely I moved because I was offered a 25% pay increase for the same role, and the place I was working was paying under the market rate (obviously) and only offered me a promotion (so more responsibility) for a 14% increase. I've recently found that in my current role, I'm on probably 10% more money than others at my level who worked their way up in the company. But even then my wage isn't really enough to live on in London, so you've got to keep climbing the ladder until you're in a more comfortable position/ lifestyle.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that until companies reward loyalty with decent wage increases and opportunities for promotion, people are always going to leave after a couple of years.

One of my old managers told me that he moved up from intern to director by jumping around companies. His motto is that if after 12/18 months he isn't in the hunt for a promotion then he'll be looking to jump ship. It's worked well for him. He's now back at the company he started at (coincidentally the company I'm now at as well) and he's far higher up than other members of his grad intake who stayed the whole time.

I've done an average of 3 years at each job I had, I keep getting headhunted and my wage goes up considerably each time. Why would I stay for a max 10% pay rise each year when i can get 40% 50% or more to move?
This, 3-5 years tops, move on for more money.

I’ve no loyalty to my employer, they wouldn’t have any to me if they needed to get rid.

Are you one ?
Readings cv's at the moment and people are staying less than a year in a job and moving on
No doubt its not their fault etc ..
What's the score?
The world is changing nowadays. I’ve been with my place for 7 years and it pays well, but you hear of more people upping sticks and leaving quite often and I don’t see a problem with this.

If you’re not happy somewhere or you’re not appreciated / compensated enough for what you do, then leave and find another employer. People talk about loyalty, reliability etc but you’re easily replaceable. A company would shit all over you at the first opportunity so I don’t see why an employee can’t do similar.

I'm currently looking for #16. Latest one was the promise of being paid weekly but it's coming 3 weeks in arrears. Hard to budget and that when they're saying one thing and doing another, missing out on rent and all sorts so very viable excuse if you ask me.

Security industry is very notorious for being full of cowboys. Doesn't help when the 1 top of the food chain G4S is the biggest culprit.
When I worked with G4S I got stuck with a 74 year old gadgie at a hospital, apparently physically and fit well enough to hold a SIA license, can only walk on 1 leg, diabetes, can't walk up stairs has to use the lift instead, he should be a f***ing patient in the hospital not an employee.
Should of been allowed to claim carers allowance working with the fucker.

Update. I've been given #16. I hope this actually lasts. Some stability would be nice.

12 Jobs, 18 different roles in 38 years, shortest 2 weeks, current one 10 years.

You are a mug if you are in IT in certain areas if you do not move on every year or two. I saw an IT Security Architect role advertising up to £130K today, this would have been about £65K 10 years ago, and there is no way you would have had £65K of pay rises at the same company in 10 years.

You’re taking the cost of living out of the equation. I would agree with you if this was 10-15 year ago.

I agree the cost of living has had an effect, however a lot of the younguns who work for us live at home. It’ll be the parents who feel the pinch as I dare bet many have not increased board etc to massive levels.

I agree the cost of living has had an effect, however a lot of the younguns who work for us live at home. It’ll be the parents who feel the pinch as I dare bet many have not increased board etc to massive levels.
Everything is expensive mate. I think you’ll find kids flying the nest later and later.

Probab;y 20-25 jobs - shortest was 2 and a bit days - turned up late on day 1, phoned in sick day 2 and got told not to bother when I arrived late on day 3 :)

Current job will be 25 years in April - although I've had 7 different roles in that time.

Back