People who pretend they dislike Taylor Swift

At the risk of sounding a geriatric, I genuinely think innovation and popular culture has completely stagnated. Artists are too scared to push the boundaries, and I wonder if its at least partly motivated by the threat of litigation for releasing something that has 3 bars the same as a song that got to 35 in the Hungarian charts in 1992. Artists would seemingly prefer to sample an older song and directly credit it to use it as a shield from chancers. Nearly every song on radio 1 is derived from a two decade old pop song with a lyric that goes "something, something Benz something". You want to release a song that sounds like someone else? Get them involved and credited accordingly.

And then the likes of Drake, for example, is absolutely shite. Crap writer, crap vocalist etc. I have absolutely no idea why he's famous personally. You compare his music with, say, Outkast or Eminem from 20 years ago, which was cutting edge at the time, and in my opinion, still is.

The next development will be music written and performed by AI, if it hasn't already happened.

Back