People who are furloughed..

Travel costs to get to work wouldn't be classed as disposable income but I suppose you are right you would saving money there. But I doubt people are spending 20%+ of their income on travel so disposable income will be down. I know I spend about £50 a week on travel but that has now been offset by the amount I'm spending on alcohol!

I have found that instead of buying the stuff on offer or the 2 for 1s in the supermarket, the shackles are now off and i`m only buying stuff that i like or want that normally i`d think i`m not paying that, i`ll get the cheap stuff :lol:

And getting 80% and are still moaning that they'd rather be at work instead of getting paid for nout while at home, doing exercise etc. (and I know a few) are strange people imo.
Just my opinion.

Must either love there job or be boring imo. Spend time with your family, play games go out get exercise, etc. Much better imo.

Not everyone's the same like, but works just about money for me nout else, Id happily never work another day in my life if I was getting paid for not working.
If you are employed in a low skilled, low waged, unsatisfying job then not doing that job is understandable.

However if you run your own business and it’s something you love doing - with the rewards being high - then not doing it currently is a nightmare.

Also your customers or consumers of your service/products rely on you. Being unable to service their needs can be very difficult to handle.

I'm working my way through all the different brands of beer in my local offy but then sometimes I feel guilty and buy Frosty Jack's. It does a job.

The government have paid me to completely redecorate my home and given me the time off to do it.

This is how most people should have looked at it. Nobody knows what is happening long term but 2 months off on 80% to sort out all those jobs that need doing, rare opportunity for some, two months whinging on social media for others.

I've worked through the whole thing so far. Still can't decide if I'm angry or not!

I think what would play on my mind being furloughed would be what would be there for me when work does ask for you back, and would there in fact be a job at the end of it...I think for an awful lot of people it’s highlighting their jobs and their industries are not that important, and money will talk at the end of this and cuts will need to be made.

I’d love all those sitting at home to have their jobs at the end of this, but I suspect the economy will take some time to revive itself, and a lot of jobs would be lost.

Best of luck for you all on the other side!

That's not Government guidelines mate. You lose no accrual and bank holidays are paid in full, not 80%
The paperwork I got said I lose holidays and I've seen somebody else's and their company told them the same. That was before the date in the link you've posted so obviously something has been changed. That's great news I want to go to Indonesia next year for a wedding and wanted at least three weeks for that. So when I get back to work I'm going to see about carrying some over into next year.

No surprise that permanent members of the "look down at others" club are getting stuck in here.

The vast majority of people furloughed have no choice in the matter so they might as well enjoy what they can of it. Especially with everything generally being shit at the moment. Doesn't mean they don't want to have a job to go back to.

Also, anyone who says they would still work, even part time, after a sizable lottery win wants their head read IMO. :lol: And I say that as someone who enjoys their job.

Didn't wanna be furloughed, but the industry I work in will likely take much longer than most to get back to normality. So there will definitely be redundancies coming, meaning the longer the furlough goes on the better for me potentially.

I'd continue to go to work - though on reduced hours - if I won the lottery, because I'm still in my 20s, enjoy what I do and there are specific career goals I want to achieve, that can't be bought. I don't think that's sad...

I reckon you should try to be an MP.
I think what would play on my mind being furloughed would be what would be there for me when work does ask for you back, and would there in fact be a job at the end of it...I think for an awful lot of people it’s highlighting their jobs and their industries are not that important, and money will talk at the end of this and cuts will need to be made.

I’d love all those sitting at home to have their jobs at the end of this, but I suspect the economy will take some time to revive itself, and a lot of jobs would be lost.

Best of luck for you all on the other side!

Don you still work at the paint place? Is it open?

Last edited:
Don you still work at the paint place? Is it open?
Still producing yes, some of the coatings are used for protective / safety reasons or supply chain for critical equipment so some areas are busier than ever.

I’m not involved in the manufacturing side of things but still working, majority of office workers are all working from home, no one of furloughed from my understanding. I’m actually in the office most days as I can’t work at home with the kids around constantly so the only change for me is now I have a commute added to my daily routine, although it’s now only 15 minutes rather than 30-40.

Last edited:

Back