People who are furloughed..

Couldn't be happier. Was briefly woken by the wife leaving for work at about half six this morning, fell back to sleep & was woken up at around half 8 by the kids & gave them their breakfast. Homework at about half 10, although I'm getting sick shit of that now. But, I'll persevere. Lay down on the couch about half 11, while the kids play with their toys or watch telly. Woke myself up snoring sometime later. Had some grub, out with the dog for the afternoon & back for more food. Wife comes home, kids spend 2 hours not giving her a moment's peace. Made sweet, sweet love to the wife after the kids went to bed.

That's *pretty much how my days have been going since I was furloughed around mid March.

What on earth is not to like? 🤷‍♂️

*I'm not getting a ride every day.

The sort of people who would win the lottery and carry on working
I won the lottery and carried on working! A tenner doesn't go far these days.
Ahhh fiddled the tax man now your fucked. Karma.
No fiddling for me, I got investigated about 8 years ago so have to be 100% legit. I was legit then BTW but I still got fined because a lot of my petrol receipts had faded over the years and were unreadable. Those where I'd paid by debit card were okay as I had bank statements to back them up but the ones where I paid cash were disregarded. Twats.

Last edited:
I don't think the furlough should have been extended as long as it has mind. It will be very hard to get some people back to work who will be backed by unions and the cost to come will be massive. Any person on paye schemes will be paying for this for years to come.
My lass is actually 40% worse off still working full time for an airline. Her pay is just above minimum wage but topped up with bonus schemes that make 40% of her take home pay. She has no opportunity to earn her bonus as she is just dealing with cancellations

No work related expenses though so probably not that much worse off
I'm not sure about that. By the time people have paid essential bills, rent/mortgage, council tax, utilities like water/leccy etc. food, telly, insurance and so on, what will the average person have left as disposable income? 30% if they're lucky so a 20% drop in income is massive, it leaves you with a 10% disposable income. A drop to 70% furlough would leave most people with 0 disposable income.

I'm not sure about that. By the time people have paid essential bills, rent/mortgage, council tax, utilities like water/leccy etc. food, telly, insurance and so on, what will the average person have left as disposable income? 30% if they're lucky so a 20% drop in income is massive, it leaves you with a 10% disposable income. A drop to 70% furlough would leave most people with 0 disposable income.
You aren't spending as much disposable income though as theres not really anything to spend it on

Say you have £600 disposable income per month before furlough you will now have £200 disposable income on furlough. That's a big drop and when furlough drops further many people will have 0 disposable income to spend.

Say you have £600 disposable income per month before furlough you will now have £200 disposable income on furlough. That's a big drop and when furlough drops further many people will have 0 disposable income to spend.
Correct for some. I'm still full time so is my lass but her income has dropped 40%.
Out of all my mates furloughed none have any complaints
20% off £600 disposable income leaves you wi £480
Alot have taken mortgage breaks which boosts it back up though which is more than 20% of most peoples disposable income. I know they will have to pay it back with interest.
I'm agreeing furlough isn't ideal but some people are loving it oblivious to the fact that it is going to cost everyone in the long run.

Last edited:

But theres nowt to spend it on, and the disposables gone up anyway because theres no travel costs nowadays. I`d be surprised if many were a lot worse off on furlough

I thought the same but then I suppose if someone was on £2000 a month and had £600 disposable this would become £1600 a month so only £200 disposable.

But like I say there bugger all to spend it on other than food, drink and fecking DIY stuff, plus theres no travel costs anymore so in reality, not many will be massively worse off

Last edited:
Disposable income is on average 30% of income, minus the 20% of income you will have already lost through furlough leaves you with a disposable income of 10%. The maths aren't hard.

Disposable income is on average 30% of income, minus the 20% of income you will have already lost through furlough leaves you with a disposable income of 10%. The maths aren't hard.
Correct. Like I've said though alot of people furloughed have taken mortgage breaks which boosts disposable income during the furlough phase

But theres nowt to spend it on, and the disposables gone up anyway because theres no travel costs nowadays. I`d be surprised if many were a lot worse off on furlough
Travel costs to get to work wouldn't be classed as disposable income but I suppose you are right you would saving money there. But I doubt people are spending 20%+ of their income on travel so disposable income will be down. I know I spend about £50 a week on travel but that has now been offset by the amount I'm spending on alcohol!

Alot have taken mortgage breaks which boosts it back up though which is more than 20% of most peoples disposable income. I know they will have to pay it back with interest.
I'm agreeing furlough isn't ideal but some people are loving it oblivious to the fact that it is going to cost everyone in the long run.

Will there be a different outcome if people start hating being furloughed?

Back